• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Hmm, that's exactly how much you'd have to trim off a 358 Winchester case to make it an Indiana-legal 1.800". Sounds like someone bought him a 358 Hoosier! :D

I've been having a discussion with a good friend of mine about how to go about that, short of contacting Lee to order a custom-made 358-Short trimmer pin.

Here's what I did on the hundreds of 30 Herrett cases I formed about 10 years ago:

1) Chuck up the case in something like the Lee trimmer chuck.
    2) Mount a high-speed cutoff wheel on your die grinder
    3) Mount the die grinder so that it pivots or goes straight up n' down.
    4) Finish the last ~.020" off with a lathe trimmer or (better yet) the Lee case length gauge/trimmer.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Lyman drill press case trimmer

Lyman used to make a trimmer that you set up on a drill press. Don't think they are manufactured anymore, but I know where there is a NIB one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Lee case trimmer and lock stud has always worked well for me. Just have to buy the length gauge and shellholder for whatever caliber you're trimming. Stick it in a drill and go to town.

Case Trimmer Cutter Lock Stud

They're not making the length gauge for the 300BLK yet as far as I can tell.

I've been considering one of those cheap mini-chop saws from Harbor Freight for $40 and then the Forster for the final trim.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    How does that one adjust?

I have one of the Lyman drill-press mounted trimmers. You use the fine adjustment of the drill press table (to which the base unit mounts) to set how much is trimmed off the case. This is no more efficient than the Lee case length gauge, IMHO. I haven't used the Lyman tool in years, if that tells you anything.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Lyman Universal Drill Press Trimmer

The base bolts to the bed of the drill press. Base is universal for any caliber. A cutter is inserted into the drill press chuck and you use the appropriate Lyman trimmer pilot for the case you are trimming. You adjust the stop on the drill press to set the case length you want and you are ready to trim alot of brass fast. PM me if you are interested.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Using the Lee hand trimmers is ok for a few, gets tough to hold the trimmer after a while. I don't mind it for 10 or so but not for large quantities. Just my :twocents:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Using the Lee hand trimmers is ok for a few, gets tough to hold the trimmer after a while. I don't mind it for 10 or so but not for large quantities. Just my :twocents:

Who said anything about holding the trimmer in your hand?! :):

You chuck up the case holder in your cordless drill and use that to spin the case while holding the cutter in your other hand. Fast and easy...I've trimmed hundreds of cases in an evening, with no fatigue whatsoever. In fact, it's way less effort than the lathe-style trimmers! ;)

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    They're not making the length gauge for the 300BLK yet as far as I can tell.

I've been considering one of those cheap mini-chop saws from Harbor Freight for $40 and then the Forster for the final trim.

Looks like July at least. Case Length Gage Shellholder 300 AAC Blackout

With the demand for 300 blackout stuff you would think they would be all over it to make all the money they could.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Looks like July at least. Case Length Gage Shellholder 300 AAC Blackout

With the demand for 300 blackout stuff you would think they would be all over it to make all the money they could.

Guys, guys...you're over-thinking this! There are so many short 30 caliber cartridges out there; just buy a Lee case length gauge/trimmer for the 7.62x39 and carefully shorten the pin. Better yet, see if you can order one from Lee for the 300 Whisper. I'm sure they make it and that case is only about .030" longer, so it would be a piece of cake to shorten the pin.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Guys, guys...you're over-thinking this! There are so many short 30 caliber cartridges out there; just buy a Lee case length gauge/trimmer for the 7.62x39 and carefully shorten the pin. Better yet, see if you can order one from Lee for the 300 Whisper. I'm sure they make it and that case is only about .030" longer, so it would be a piece of cake to shorten the pin.

That actually was my backup plan, but I still want to do the mini-chop saw thing rather than turn down that much brass for each shell.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Since I have decided on just 100 working brass for the .358 Hoosier and I will be doing 50 for a buddy, I thinking about just getting a plain Hornady hand turned trimmer.

Those work too, but that's an awful lot of trimming to do by hand, even with just 100 or 150 cases.

What if you bought a 358 Winchester trim die, but had it custom made for the 358 Hoosier? That would let you cut 95% of the brass very quickly, then finish with a more refined tool, like a lathe-style trimmer.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    You'll really want a power trimmer or a saw to take off that much.

The Giraud would probably do in a matter of seconds, but $400 is quite a bit of money if you're only needing 100 cases. I imagine Doug would make a wildcat shellholder for his trimmer...

Top Bottom