Need a muzzle brake and new handguards for my AK.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Count Blackula

Plinker
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    More specifically, a WASR 10/63.

I managed to get the ugly muzzle nut off mine, and am now looking to add some sort of muzzle brake. I've heard good things about the Tapco one, but are there any others I should consider? In addition to reducing recoil, are there any that act as a flash suppressor too?

Also, since my dear WASR is turning into an evil black rifle (with it's new adjustable stock and all :D), I need new handguards, preferably black. Granted, I know shooting a lot of lead out of an AK really heats up the barrel, but are there any handguards that are very heat-resistant, especially compared to the cheap ones that are standard with any WASR?

Many thanks :ingo:

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Well I have a Tapco AK-74 style on my Wasr. I was surprised it cut recoil by half it felt from mine compared to old slant style that came with rifle. Also put an intrafuse tapco rail front stock so I could put a fore hand grip and red dot on it an it seams to look better then the galil style it came with. So I am happy so far with tapco products.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you want a rails you can use Midwest industries, Ultimak, or Chaos there are a few others.

If you just want black you can order a set from kvar or a NON U.S. set from Apex (super cheap). No matter what you get, it'll eventually get hot as nothing "free floats".

Primary weapons systems makes a break/comp and there is also a battle comp with good reviews. I personally like the slant break but whatever floats your boat

Avoid UTG unless you want me to make fun of you.

03A3

Expert
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Are you talking about a 74 type brake? They have quite a bit of muzzle flash and are loud, not that either bothers me but the dog don't like it.

You might look at those synthetic handguards that KVar and Ultimak sell, the same ones that come on Arsenal AK's. They have a stainless heatshield in the lower handguard. Be sure to get the ones for the stamped receiver.

Oddly enough I took the slant brake off of my Wasr and could not get a barrel nut or any other muzzle device I have to fit. There's something up with the threads, so I just put the slant back on and called it good enough.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I'd bought a 74 style break from CNC Warrior to put on my 10/63. Happy enough with it, honestly didn't feel a whole lot of benefit though (control or recoil reduction. Some, but not a lot).

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    If you just want black you can order a set from kvar or a NON U.S. set from Apex (super cheap). No matter what you get, it'll eventually get hot as nothing "free floats".
    True, true. For the record, do WASR handguard lowers have a heatshield on them? I haven't taken them off at all since I bought the rifle. :whistle:

Primary weapons systems makes a break/comp and there is also a battle comp with good reviews. I personally like the slant break but whatever floats your boat
    These?

J-Tac47 - PWS Muzzle Devices
    FSC47 - PWS Muzzle Devices

Avoid UTG unless you want me to make fun of you.
    How would you react to my adjustable stock being UTG? :D

Are you talking about a 74 type brake? They have quite a bit of muzzle flash and are loud, not that either bothers me but the dog don't like it.
    Um, I don't know. I just want a nice brake that reduces recoil and, if possible, muzzle flash.

You might look at those synthetic handguards that KVar and Ultimak sell, the same ones that come on Arsenal AK's. They have a stainless heatshield in the lower handguard. Be sure to get the ones for the stamped receiver.
    I'm looking at the handguards on the KVar and Ultimak websites; are they the exact same make, but sold by different companies? Even when sold separately, Ultimak's are slightly cheaper.

Why are you looking at [STRIKE]Crapco[/STRIKE] I mean Tapco anyways? Are you going for that budget junk-trailer-park-gun look or what?
    Hey, I was judging the reviews for the Tapco brake on Amazon, which were all positive. Don't shoot the questioner. :P Plus, it appears to work:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGixCAb0B8[/ame]

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlqGU6hGT24[/ame]

The "kalash" gets annoying but the message is good. I am currently laughing at you and your UTG accessories by the way :)

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    What's wrong with UTG? Is it that they're a cheapo knockoff brand? All reviews I've seen for their adjustable stock have stated that it's the best bang for your buck.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Yes, TAPCO makes some Quad rail and Bi-rail type try cheaper then dirt to see some types. Yes Tapco is cheap but I have no complaints.

phil

Shooter
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    Sent a PM...Here's mine:

2011-08-14152530.jpg

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Would have to say have not noticed it to be any louder then slant brake. As for muzzle flash only noticed it at dusk. I feel that would be the same for any gun at night. I would shop around and look at all types and buy what you like. Might be able to find some cheaper at some gun shops. Buddy showed me his in wood and have to say I liked it and it did not seam much of a weight difference.

Kildux

Plinker
    Jan 9, 2012
    Indiana
    I went with the Ultimak Rail and Primary Arms Micro Dot and it co-witness the iron sights perfect.The handguard I used was from Hogue and has a metal heatshield.
    I just recently purchased a PWS FSC47 muzzlebreak so I hope it will be just as good if not better than the Tapco 74 type break as in muzzle rise during double taps.
    (Polish UnderFold AKMS)

photo (6).JPG

Top Bottom