• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Well, do you need a conspiracy for §249? (Just asking, I don't know for certain).

No, but you have to show that it's on account of race, which, as I noted is notoriously hard to prove. I don't see any reasonable fact-finder teasing demonstrable bias out of this one or it would have been brought forth in the state case.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Race had nothing to do with this in my opinion. I do believe Zimmerman profiled Trayvon, but as a Punk....not a Black person. Be honest, we all know a punk when we see one regardless of their race. Or at least someone who has CHOSEN to project that image.
    I'm sure Zimmerman profiled him as a black person. The neighborhood had been plagued with crimes--burglaries, home invasions--in the previous year or so, and the majority of the criminals responsible were black. I'm pretty confident a Trayvon Martin who walk straight home from getting his muchie fix wouldn't have been much of a concern to Zimmerman. Being black wasn't the only reason, it was just the initial radar contact. Black and behaving suspiciously during a time of the night when little boys shouldn't be out alone. That'll do it.

XDI

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Plainfield
    It's not rocket surgery! :dunno:

The DOJ will run up against a very different scenario, because the criminal trial brought up the fact that Zimmerman was not racist, there was no racist situation, and had been active in assisting african americans in the past. It will be interesting to see how they will also investigate the person that died after making racial slurs about Zimmerman. It may be a civil rights violation - and it may be George Zimmerman (a hispanic-american) who had his rights violated by T. Martin (an african-american). Wouldn't that be interesting!

And remember, the Florida review committee also looked at this case in view of "stand your ground" and decided not to change anything regarding that law. That investigation should have also examined the race issue.

Also, Florida code states in
    The 2012 Florida Statutes
    600x3_gradient.gif

Title XLVI
    CRIMES
    Chapter 776
    JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE
    776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
    (2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.
    (3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1)."

It will be interesting to see if, now that Zimmerman has been found not guilty, if the courts will apply the remainder of the law and provide immunity from civil action!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure the DOJ would try to block any evidence of anything Trayvon ever said and everything Zimmerman did prior to that night.
    Their contention would likely be "shooting him was the ultimate violation of his civil rights."
    If they can block all testimony about the incident and try it before a judge who is sympathetic instead of a jury, the fix will be in.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Perhaps this is a slight thread-jack but I am beginning to wonder why T. Martin's death is so much more of a tragedy than the gangster-kills-gangster stuff going on in Indy. If Obama had a son, would he look like all the young black males who have been murdered here lately. Oh wait, we now officially know Travon was killed but he wasn't murdered.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Perhaps this is a slight thread-jack but I am beginning to wonder why T. Martin's death is so much more of a tragedy than the gangster-kills-gangster stuff going on in Indy. If Obama had a son, would he look like all the young black males who have been murdered here lately. Oh wait, we now officially know Travon was killed but he wasn't murdered.

narrative. always about the narrative.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, but you have to show that it's on account of race, which, as I noted is notoriously hard to prove. I don't see any reasonable fact-finder teasing demonstrable bias out of this one or it would have been brought forth in the state case.

The pseudo-lawyers on huffpo insist civil rights suits don't have to involve race. Yet they can't provide a case example where the context wasn't about race. A lot of people just want to live in a world where everything they want to believe is true.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Because George Zimmerman was "a creepy a** cracker."
    It seems that in every case of a killing of young black males downtown, each of the participants "...had been in some trouble before, but was just turning his life around." This seems to apply whether the reformed person was shot or goaded into shooting someone else "in pure self-defense, 'cause you can't expect nobody to put with what was done to him and not defend themselves."

If the black community complains about black on black crime, they have to break solidarity with a "brother."
    Many seem to value that "brotherhood" more than they value justice, peace, or safety. (For example, the lady who said she lived on "Killinois" street reported that she and her neighbors don't talk to the police for fear of being labeled informers.)

As long as this continues, I fear the many neighborhoods and downtown will experience "no justice for the victims of intra-racial violence and no peace."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sure Zimmerman profiled him as a black person. The neighborhood had been plagued with crimes--burglaries, home invasions--in the previous year or so, and the majority of the criminals responsible were black. I'm pretty confident a Trayvon Martin who walk straight home from getting his muchie fix wouldn't have been much of a concern to Zimmerman. Being black wasn't the only reason, it was just the initial radar contact. Black and behaving suspiciously during a time of the night when little boys shouldn't be out alone. That'll do it.

I agree, but I do think that there is some evidence that race wasn't even on Z's radar initially. I just reread the transcript from the police call. Z did not mention race until the dispatcher asked. Z's reply was essentially that he thought he might be black. Later in the call, when he saw T coming towards him, when he could see him better, and describe him better, Z offered more details and confirmed that the guy he saw was black.

That Z even felt he needed to confirm the race, tells me the kid's behavior played a much, much larger role in his suspicion, than did race.

Ordinary people just don't want to admit that it's not the delicious example of racial injustice they hoped it was. The race baiters know the truth, but the stakes are way to big to let ordinary people believe the truth. The potential payout is huge, compared to the lost credibility if all were known. I think that's why we're seeing the **** storm.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ignorant, stupid and dumb people will do what ignorant, stupid and dumb people do period. It is how they were raised and it is how they are raising their children. It is how they want our country to be also. They will be much easier to control when it comes true.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    What about zimmerman's civil rights to live his life free from persecution by emotional gangs of thugs such as holder?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Eric Holder and the DOJ backed themselves into a corner and needed to get a State conviction that they pushed for. The problem is that it didn't happen so now they are stuck trying to come up with a justification for civil rights charges to appease the angry mob and when they can't find any justification they will be exposed as being the race pimps they really are who have widened the racial divide from the beginning.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The DOJ is certainly in a pickle. Their own investigative arm (the FBI) already investigated and already issued a report saying that race wasn't a factor. For them to prosecute, they would have have to be a dumb as Angela Corey...

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The government and the media seem intent on creating a racial issue where one did not exist. The family got what they wanted, an arrest and a trial. Zimmerman was found not guilty. Now the media is playing on that, interviewing the parents and trying to flame fires of racial conflict. So much for respecting the decision of the jury. I just watched this interview of Martin's parents on Comcast, I get so tired of seeing this kind of bias on the media. Martin put himself in this situation, and now they're trying to portray him as a victim. What a crock...

Watch XFINITY Videos Online | News | Comcast | Watch XFINITY Videos Online | Comcast

Top Bottom