• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    My mom wants a shotgun for SD at her apartment . She hasn't shot one in years and I don't think she remembers what the recoil is like . I'm trying to talk her into something maybe like a .380 or .9mm and a LTCH .

She's not having it at all and doesn't want a LTCH or a pistol , she's stuck on a 12G for around the house . My problem with this is that I've "loaned" her my Mossberg and since I've got it tricked out I expect it back .

My question is this , what kind of shotgun can I get her that she could handle easily if she needed to . I'm thinking something like a bantam pump or youth model .

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Look at a 20g with a over fold stock...point and shoot, less recoil gets the job done. I do perfer a 12g but if your worry is recoil. why not. How about this, bring her out and lets shoot a 12 and 20 and go from there. A Scatter Gun is a good choice to but limits you to just 2 shots before a reload.

spr220_ca-lg.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would go with a 20 gauge. Since you mentioned youth model, maybe an 870 youth model in 20 gauge.

She should have some experience shooting that shotgun reguardless, so take her out with the 12 gauge and some 00 buck and/or slugs so she knows what shes in for! No reason to have it, if you dont know how to use it!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    How big is she?

My wife can handle a shorter-barreled 12ga pump with no problem.. shooting it, on the other hand, is still a ways out on the horizon..

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    find her a 20 ga mossberg 500 with pistol grip 18 inch barrel .

I have one for home defense perfect gun for that managable recoil loaded with 00buck will do the job just fine , also with it being pistol grip short barrel easier to manage in a close quater situation , such as an apartment ...:twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If she's set on a 12ga... Look for a youth model.

Then talk her into a recoil-reducing stock and/or the reduced recoil loads.

Also, a semi-auto will have less felt recoil, but many semi-autos have much trouble cycling reduced recoil loads and even some low-end field loads.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I'd look into a 20ga. or mabey even 4-10 pump,,,, I would not get a youth model, I purchased an 870 youth for my girlfreind, she needed it for the shorter stock she's only 5'ft, but as far as kick it kicked every bit as hard as my 12ga.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My personal favorite for home defense by a lady of the house is this...

50359.jpg

Mossberg 500 HS410

Load it with 3" shells, have a good mix of buck and slugs.

Just my thoughts. And it looks good, too.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Saiga FTW, available in a 20g and 410, these videos are 12s though
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlPEvqbuRKI&feature=related"]YouTube - Saiga 12 MD Arms 20 Round Drum Dump[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sk98ACokjE&feature=related"]YouTube - Saiga-12 fan[/ame]

not sure why not working?? double click on the center play button and once it tells you no, double click in the black area again

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    If she's wants a 12 ga.,in an apt., try birdshot, or even low brass target loads. I've lost count how many times some cable tv shooting show demonstrated how these loads don't shoot through 3 or more walls like pistol bullets do.The Limb Saver recoil pads greatly reduce the felt recoil also.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My son has a Mossberg 500 Bantam Youth 20 gauge that, with it's short stock and barrel, handles quite nicely in the house. Under $250 at Dicks, IIRC.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If she's wants a 12 ga.,in an apt., try birdshot, or even low brass target loads. I've lost count how many times some cable tv shooting show demonstrated how these loads don't shoot through 3 or more walls like pistol bullets do.The Limb Saver recoil pads greatly reduce the felt recoil also.

Those loads also fail to function adequately as defensive loads. They are utterly inadequate for that purpose.

Top Bottom