• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apart from having a shotgun back in the 1970s I was not into guns until the so-called 2020 summer of love riots. At that time it seemed prudent to get a gun for home protection, so my son and I both got S&W SD9VE's (the Steve, so I hear they are called). Anyway, we went back a few months later for a second gun and I went revolver and ended up with a J-frame 642.

Eventually I got a carry permit and started pocket carrying, but didn't like how the silver backstrap of the 642 showed from my pocket, so when a used 442 (black frame) came up at the gun shop, I traded the 642 and $100 for it. Both had locks. A year later at a different gun shop, I found a 442 with no lock for a decent price and it was one of the gun shop worker's guns he was selling. I bought it. Eventually I tired of pocket carry as it bothered my leg and somewhat printed so I went to appendix carry which I like a lot and so could have just kept that 642 in the first place (and should have anyway).

Now a year later I just grabbed a M340PD yesterday and am now carrying that. I have it loaded with Federal Golden Saber 125 grain +P HPs for now, but wonder if I should try out some .357 Magnum. Is there a lower recoil .357 Magnum that works good in short barrels.

Or maybe I should have 4 of the .38s and one .357 (last round) loaded. Then if it gets to the last shot I will have a little more stopping power. Anyway, many options and the Golden Saber +P is probably more than adequate for now. Also have a Hogue Tamer grip that is longer than stock and has padding behind the back strap. Probably need that Tamer if I want to shoot much .357 as I know it is brutal out of my Bond Arms derringer and this 340PD won't likely be any better. But then if it is only for a defense situation, maybe the recoil and beating of the hand and arm won't matter because it will rarely be shot other than occasionally a cylinder full of .357 at the range. Love how light weight the 340 PD is--a negative though for recoil.

Another option is to carry my Taurus .44 Special revolver, which presumably would be more stopping power than a .38 Special and less recoil than a .357 Magnum. I don't care to carry a semi-auto other than a backup KelTec P32 I occasionally carry for backup.

442 lock, 442 no lock, 340PD no lock.
    1727541046849.png

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Wow! I could have written much the same piece. I recently went back to revolvers after a few years of being completely dissatisfied with absolutely no selection of DAO bottom feeds available today. Tried: P365, P365XL, P320: I don't mind SA-type trigger pulls for target and/or house guns, but I need DAO for carry. I bought my 442 (no lock) specifically because it has a dark finish vs the 642. I also bought a 4" 686+ at the same time. I shot one box of full house .357 Magnums through the 686. It was also the last box. Magnums in a gun that doesn't weigh 39 ounces? No thanks. Ditto +P ammo. More bang, slower recovery and follow ups, more expense, insignificant ballistic improvement.

With regard to ammo for your J-frames, you may want to consider Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense, and/or Double Tap, both in 148gr WC. Both of them step out of a 2" barrel at about 720-740 fps. Both are also reasonably priced. Don't carry WC as backup ammo. Why? Try a speed reload with them just once, you will know. My b/u ammo is PPU 158gr SWC. Easy to load, and inexpensive.

My other carry guns are all DAO-type triggers also: Kahr CM9 (really good trigger), Ruger LCP (very nice gun, crap sights, I painted on some white dots), and a Keltec P32 I've had for 20 years (I feed it Fiocchi 73gr FMJ). I just bought a Kahr CT380 for $106 and a junk Charter Arms Off Duty. It was like new, and is very stiffly sprung. Still breaking in that one.

I sure is nice to read that I'm not the only one interested in revolvers and DAO triggers. Thanks for posting your collection.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    After having a few snubnose one 357mag and one 38 special. I think I'll be going to 3" barrels for a carry revolver. That extra inch gives better sight radius, and more velocity.
    I'll be going with a 357mag because you can shoot both.
    As a reloader I can also make light magnums that have a velocity between both as well. More than 38 Special +p and under 357mag pressure.
    I'm just not there yet to purchase another one at this stage in life.
    Now all that said is there a J Frame that has a 3" barrel still being made?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    After reading some old magazines, I started carrying 158 gr LRN. Good old cop round, every one who got dead by that round is still dead…, so there’s that…3” model 85 Taurus

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    After having a few snubnose one 357mag and one 38 special. I think I'll be going to 3" barrels for a carry revolver. That extra inch gives better sight radius, and more velocity.
    I'll be going with a 357mag because you can shoot both.
    As a reloader I can also make light magnums that have a velocity between both as well. More than 38 Special +p and under 357mag pressure.
    I'm just not there yet to purchase another one at this stage in life.
    I believe Model 60 3" is still available.

EODFXSTI

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    I also have a no-lock 442 and love it. It shoots and conceals very good. I appendix carry in a Harry's Holster. I like the look of the enclosed ejector rod though. I looked at the Lipseys 442UC but it added 2 more oz so it is now between the M&P 340 and 340PD for me too. They seem sort of hard to find in the wild for me to compare the two. What made you get the PD over the M&P?

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    J-Frame size revolvers I am aware of:
    Taurus makes 3" in:
    605 .357 5-shot
    856 .38 6-shot

S&W makes 3" in:
    60 .357 5-shot

Kimber makes 3" in:
    K6s .357 6-shot, Fixed or adjustable sight
    K6sx .38 6-shot (I think)

Not sure about Ruger or Colt. Wouldn't take a Charter Arms if you paid me.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also have a no-lock 442 and love it. It shoots and conceals very good. I appendix carry in a Harry's Holster. I like the look of the enclosed ejector rod though. I looked at the Lipseys 442UC but it added 2 more oz so it is now between the M&P 340 and 340PD for me too. They seem sort of hard to find in the wild for me to compare the two. What made you get the PD over the M&P?
    Simply that the local gun shop had a used one in good condition. I also like that you can attach a lanyard to it, though not sure why I would need that:
    1727554408078.png

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yep. 60-15.

52225370523_6f12d4996a_b_d.jpg

I am a big J-Frame fan, and like the Airweights for .38 and the steel guns for magnums. I also am a big fan of a 3" barrel for a belt gun, 1 7/8" or 2" for the pocket. I sold my 3" SP101 to fund this one when it popped up for sale used at my LGS, and even though I liked the Ruger I've not regretted that decision. It's trimmer and lighter, and carries a little better...and MUCH better than a bigger gun like a K, L, N, or GP100!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree the 442, no lock is a keeper. I had 2 Smith & Wesson snubs (M36 and M49) that got stolen out of my house long ago. Never recovered.

Bought my 442 in 1994, and never looked back. Also bought a gun safe, secured to the floor now. Slowly filling up to specs. Taurus 856, and Charter Off Duty, both 38 spec.

Have an old school M10-5 , 38 spec, 4in bbl. Snubs back up the 4 in K frame M10.
    Sometimes, carry 2 snubs. Why? Just because I like one on my belt, and 1 in a coat pocket holster.
    They multiply if you feed them, and hug them on occasion.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow! I could have written much the same piece. I recently went back to revolvers after a few years of being completely dissatisfied with absolutely no selection of DAO bottom feeds available today. Tried: P365, P365XL, P320: I don't mind SA-type trigger pulls for target and/or house guns, but I need DAO for carry. I bought my 442 (no lock) specifically because it has a dark finish vs the 642. I also bought a 4" 686+ at the same time. I shot one box of full house .357 Magnums through the 686. It was also the last box. Magnums in a gun that doesn't weigh 39 ounces? No thanks. Ditto +P ammo. More bang, slower recovery and follow ups, more expense, insignificant ballistic improvement.

With regard to ammo for your J-frames, you may want to consider Georgia Arms Ultimate Defense, and/or Double Tap, both in 148gr WC. Both of them step out of a 2" barrel at about 720-740 fps. Both are also reasonably priced. Don't carry WC as backup ammo. Why? Try a speed reload with them just once, you will know. My b/u ammo is PPU 158gr SWC. Easy to load, and inexpensive.

My other carry guns are all DAO-type triggers also: Kahr CM9 (really good trigger), Ruger LCP (very nice gun, crap sights, I painted on some white dots), and a Keltec P32 I've had for 20 years (I feed it Fiocchi 73gr FMJ). I just bought a Kahr CT380 for $106 and a junk Charter Arms Off Duty. It was like new, and is very stiffly sprung. Still breaking in that one.

I sure is nice to read that I'm not the only one interested in revolvers and DAO triggers. Thanks for posting your collection.
    The 686 is an awesome gun!
    Definitely like the double action for carry. In a semi-auto it is nice because you might have one that does not fire off and you just pull the trigger again, then eject if it is no go. I do like semi-autos but in my mind the revolver is kind of the manual transmission of the gun world.

Yeah, .357 is brutal. I think I will stick with the .38 +P as that will be stiff enough in this light gun. I do wish they made some light .357s, perhaps just a bit over .38 +P because then you don't foul the extra chamber area with .38s. I don't plan to shoot any .38s out this 340PD unless in self defense. Range will be .357s or I will use the 442 for range time and dry fire.

I was carrying Magtech wad cutters in my 442 with with the Golden Sabers in the speed strip. I have those and ordered a box of Hornady Hydrashock HP when I picked up the gun.

My son has the Ruger LCP. That's what he grabbed when i got that 642. The LCP is really nice, very compact. My Kel Tec P32 is fed PPU and that runs great. That was the only ammo I could get to run in the Seacamp LWS 32 but part might have beem limp hand (you really can't hang onto that gun with about 1 finger of grip).

But my collection . . . well that would be a different thread.:)

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gotcha. Now if I can just have the same luck. Have you shot it yet? I see you said you carry it now. How did they compare?

Maybe it is not for a lanyard but a keyring!
    Haven't shot it, hopefully next Wednesday. Yeah, probably should not be carrying what I have never shot, but . . .
    Anyway, on the firing pin test, it shot a stick pen a couple feet into the air, so I know it will fire the ammo. My 442s were not so good. The no lock kicks the pen maybe 6-8 inches clear of the barrel and the 442 with a lock was pathetic, I even sent it back to S&W for repair and they did not fix it but fixed something else that did not need fixing as far as I could tell. Anyway, the 340PD should have a stiffer firing pin because some .357 ammo, so I read, has tougher primers. I did not do the stick pen test until my 442 lock failed to fire half a box of some ammo that the manufacturer said had CCI primers which I understand are pretty hard.

Keyring? Ha yes an awesome keyring for sure. :lol2:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I do wish they made some light .357s, perhaps just a bit over .38 +P because then you don't foul the extra chamber area with .38s.
    Remington Golden Saber .357 Magnum is a midrange load. Rated at 1220 fps (125 grain) out of a 4" barrel. Hotter than .38 +P, but milder than a standard 125 grain load, which runs about 1450 fps out of a 4" barrel.

EODFXSTI

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2020
    Morgan County
    Ha I wouldnt! Does the trigger feel any different? My K6S and Python have the nicest triggers for sure but I seem to have lucked out with my 442. It is smooth but could smooth out some more

Top Bottom