• ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    My Insight on Automatic (Switchblade) Knives

With the recent repeal of the current law making automatic knives illegal, there is a lot of excitement in the air with the anticipation of being able to own and carry automatic knives in Indiana. Here are a few of my thoughts and some other information that may help you understand automatic knives better and help you decide if an automatic knife is for you.

Are auto's better than a manual or assisted opening knife?

My answer to this is, “absolutely not”. Truthfully, automatic knives are not any faster than a lot of the assisted opening and manual flippers that incorporate a good quality ball bearing system. I can show you dozens of assisted opening knives that are just as fast or faster than most automatic knives. I won't even go into how fast you can deploy your blade if you have a “wave” system.

What about a person with a disability?
    I hear this argument a lot, but the truth is, with a lot of assisted opening knives that have the extended tang on the back side, manipulating the blade open is just as easy as pushing a button.

What about reliability?
    By the nature of the design, automatic knives in general will not be as reliable as a manual opening knife, this is especially true with OTF (out the front) automatics.
    OTF autos are not reliable by the nature of their design and I don't care if we are talking about a $600 Microtech or a $400 Benchmade, the design is susceptible to failure as far as the blade locking up when fired, and fully retracting when desired (this pertains to DA models, single action OTF autos are a totally different beast). The opening at the end where the blade fires out, allows dirt, crud, and pocket lint to get inside of the knife where all of the springs and mechanisms are located, this can cause lock up and retracting problems and is one of the reliability issues with an OTF design. Note: Some of the internal tolerances on your higher quality OTF knives are thousands of an inch.
    For side openers and OTF automatics, springs will only last so long and will eventually fail, and some designs have internal moving parts that are susceptible to wear which will/can lead to a failure. So, if you are carrying a knife that you must depend on opening a 100% time, an automatic knife may not be what you want.

Speaking of Quality!

When the law changes, you will see a ton of auto knives for under $50 and they will be made in China. You won't actually know who the manufacturer is, and when they break in a month or so, you will be done because there is no warranty on them, and if there was, you would never be able to figure out where to send it back. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, when buying an auto, buy a name brand that has a warranty. Also, it is important who you buy an auto from. Should you have issues with your auto and have to send it back for warranty work, it should be noted that most companies (Microtech, Benchmade, Protech, Spyderco and others), will not send your knife back to you directly unless you are LEO or Military. They will send it back to a direct dealer who will be responsible in getting your knife back to you. So, having a trusted actual direct dealer is important when purchasing an auto. A good direct dealer will take care of everything for you, including shipping both ways and getting your knife back to you when it has been repaired. Note: It is illegal to ship an automatic knife using USPS, you must use one of the independent carriers like UPS or FedEx.

So why all the buzz and hoopla over automatic knives?
    IMO, people in general want something they know they can't have. The stigma and negativity that Hollywood and TV has given auto knives over the years kind of adds to the coolness and mystique factor. Yes, auto knives are cool, and there is nothing like watching the eyes of someone that has never seen one, when you fire one open, especially the OTF models.

Conclusion

Automatic knives are not for everyone, but if you decide that you want one, be smart about your purchase and realize they are what they are, and no more. MY :twocents:

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm curious, which Auto knife will Brad be buying for himself? :D

:dunno: I really haven't thought about it too much, but since you asked, I'll probably buy a Microtech DOC when they become available. The DOC is a collaboration between Microtech and Strider (two of my favorite companies). It is a side opener and the handle shape is very similar to a Strider SMF. The DOC comes in both manual and auto. I'll probably only carry the DOC for special occasions, like going to church on Sunday. :): I know for sure that my edc "beater" auto will be a Protech. IMO, Protech is the best bang for the buck for an auto...... Probably a TR2 or TR3 model....both side openers.

Here is a pic of a Custom DOC (manual version).....awesome knife!

CustomDOC_zpsb4b1344e.jpg

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    So, what about single action OTF knives?

Single action OTF knives are more reliable than double action OTF's as far as retracting the blade, because you are manually resetting the blade yourself and not relying on a spring for retracting the blade. Generally speaking, most of the high quality single action OTF's have a stronger deployment than the double actions and are able to take more abuse than a DA OTF simply because there are less parts that could fail or get contaminated by dirt, crud, pocket lint....etc.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Thanks for the insight, Brad. So, can you recommend any good single action OTF knives that maybe aren't as expensive as a Microtech Halo? Protech Dark Angel, maybe?

There are very few (production) SA OTF knives that I would consider good or high quality.
    The Protech Dark Angel is awesome, I have some experience with them and they are nice, but hard to get because of the limited runs Protech has/does on them. A few others you might want to look at are:

Paragon Para-X - USA made (North Carolina)-Probably the least expensive SA OTF with good quality.

ARS (Attack Rescue Search) - I can't remember the model (there is only one), but very high quality, but still looking at $300 to $400. Oh, and USA made. At that price point, you might as well spend a little more and get a Microtech Halo.

Protech Tantilla - USA made and high quality, but it only has a 1 15/16" blade. These were made for the California market where auto blade length has to be under 2"

Robbie Dalton - A lot of SA action models out there (too many to list and remember). If you ever get a chance to pick one up on the secondary market, do so, they are awesome and won't break the bank. Note: Robbie Dalton was the designer/maker of the Cupid model which was the knife the Joker used in the movie Batman.
    JokerampCupid_zps5870beee.png

I'm sure I will think of others after I post this and will update. I can tell you this, there is a TON of junk SA OTF's out there....stay away from them.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Auto knives are starting to get too complicated. Single action, double action...

I may just buy a waved Emerson instead...

We are just getting started. There is a lot more to auto's than you think.

Example: Release mechanisms...Button, scale, bolster, axis. All four are very different in how they release the blade.

Also, don't confuse double action with dual action, there is a difference.

Don't wuss out on me, auto's are not that complicated and I'm here to help.:D

Top Bottom