• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ireed3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    indiana
    To throw my hat in the ring i say the 870. I got mine for 300$ a few years back and i love it. Ive handled a 500 and i like it too. There are a lot of options out there, do your research and the decision will not be hard.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Mossberg 500 -- rattle a little more, don't feel *quite* as solid as 870, but from all accounts that's a mistaken perception. They are very solid.

Mossberg 500's are also less expensive than 870's, and so are their aftermarket parts (in general).

I've only read about the Stevens 320 and 350. The 350 might be OK, but stay away from the 320...some reports of handguard separation.

Rock Island (Armscor) makes a Filipino shotgun I've handled before. It is a very smooth action from the factory, and when I saw them were sub-$200. I almost bought one. Don't know how their reliability is.

If you get a Mossberg 500 with 5-shots, you can look into getting different barrels. The 7+1 persuader doesn't take other barrels. In that way, the 870 (especially the older ones) have an advantage in versatility.

Maybe check out a Wingmaster 870...I think one from the 70's might be relatively inexpensive but possibly a great deal.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Oh, and don't feel you NEED an extended mag tube. More capacity is nice, but it's a tradeoff; the higher cap shotguns tend to be heavier (to the point it makes a real difference) and don't tend to point as well. So, going with a 5+1 and using a side-saddle is at least as valid as going with an extended mag.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'll have to jump on the bandwagon supporting either the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
    Both are solid shotguns that will continue to be manufactured for a very long time to come, so parts should be no problem for either.

Pros for the Mossberg 500:
    Price is generally ~$20-$50 lower than the Remington 870
    The ejector can be replaced using nothing more than an ordinary screwdriver, whereas the 870's staked ejector requires a gunsmith with a staking tool
    Tang safety is easier and quicker to operate and equally easier for southpaws as with those who are right-handed
    The receiver is aluminum instead of steel, which makes it nominally lighter
    Dual extractors at least theoretically should making shell extraction more reliable

Pros for the Remington 870:
    Rattles less
    Has a steel receiver, which some people may like even though heavier than aluminum
    Much greater availability and selection of aftermarket parts, and it's much easier to modify by adding an extended magazine tube, etc.
    Arguably better looking, especially since the receiver's finish matches the finish on the barrel, unlike with the Mossberg with its clashing anodized aluminum receiver
    For some reason, it seems easier to take down than the Mossberg.

With that said, my only shotgun is an 870.

Honorable mention goes to the vaunted Ithaca 37, and I have almost 80 years of family history with that grand old shotgun.
    The Browning BPS is nearly identical, but arguably even better because of some refinements.
    Also, I hear from lots of folks who swear by the Benelli Nova.

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    Hey, check out the long guns section in the marketplace...a few good deals there right now!

Maybe the Mossberg with the slug barrel...the barrels interchange easily on those, and are pretty cheap.

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Id look around for an older 870 like mentioned a page back, Smoothest shotgun Ive ever felt and I will never sell it.

That is awesome.
    I'm just leaning towards buying new for my first one. Then I can expand and go with a classic like that.
    Is that the wrong line of thinking?
    Since I will be an amateur to the shotgun game, I thought it would be best.

Anyone have any experience with a Catamount??
    NEW Catamount Lynxx Pump SHOTGUN 12Ga 12 : Pump Action Shotguns at GunBroker.com

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    That is awesome.
    I'm just leaning towards buying new for my first one. Then I can expand and go with a classic like that.
    Is that the wrong line of thinking?
    Since I will be an amateur to the shotgun game, I thought it would be best.

Anyone have any experience with a Catamount??
    NEW Catamount Lynxx Pump SHOTGUN 12Ga 12 : Pump Action Shotguns at GunBroker.com

No experience with Catamount...reviews seem good for the Fury.

As far as new vs. old 870...

Actually, a mid-70's or mid-80's 870 could be a very good deal. The slide action only gets more smooth with time, and back in the 70's and 80's they apparently made them with a higher degree of care. Especially the Police models.

It's been said (don't know if it's true), that you should just find an older Wingmaster, even if it has no bluing and some rust spots, and buy it cheap and take it for reconditioning (so long as the action works well). I heard they are built very tough and clean up really well, especially if the only problem is cosmetic. I've never done it, so I don't know if it's true. Any one else try that?

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    No experience with Catamount...reviews seem good for the Fury.

As far as new vs. old 870...

Actually, a mid-70's or mid-80's 870 could be a very good deal. The slide action only gets more smooth with time, and back in the 70's and 80's they apparently made them with a higher degree of care. Especially the Police models.

It's been said (don't know if it's true), that you should just find an older Wingmaster, even if it has no bluing and some rust spots, and buy it cheap and take it for reconditioning (so long as the action works well). I heard they are built very tough and clean up really well, especially if the only problem is cosmetic. I've never done it, so I don't know if it's true. Any one else try that?

Thanks again for the insight. I'll look into an older model. My concern was safety. Since I'm inexperienced with a shotgun, I'm afraid I may not know what to look for initially. However, I'm one who does research on what I own. I can see myself owning 3-4 in the coming years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have owned both Mossberg and Remington. I prefer Mossberg.
    The parkerized finish on the 870 and 1187 I had rusted quickly in during deer season. Accuracy with slugs was very good from both of the Remmys and better than my Mossbergs.
    I have not had any corrosion problems with my Mossbergs, even my 930 SPX that is parkerized. The tang safety is another plus for me. I use Foster type slugs and accuracy for them is acceptable. They are not tack drivers, but I do not expect them to be either.
    Accessories for either is abundant. You can turn a 5 pound shotgun into a 10 pound shotgun real quick though, so keep that in mind.
    Mossbergs rattle a lot, Remmys do not. That bothers some people, some it does not.
    Just go to the store and handle both, there is good points and bad points to each one. Check each one out and decide for yourself. I personally feel you get more bang for your buck with Mossberg.

Unless you had some LE or Mil model, the finish was simply a matte blue. It'll not sheet water, and maybe not oils either, so is prone to rust. Used to be, sporting shotguns...........the only Rem shotgun Parkerized was the 1100 SP. I dunno how models may have changed in the last decade.

I have an Express Supermag Turkey model. 23" VR with choketubes. It's my all around rig. Rabbit, turkey, dove, waterfowl and HD.
    Having owned Wingmasters......at least 5, plus Express and Police models...........and a dozen or so 1100's...........yeah the older ones were nicer.

Slickest 870 I ever had was my first Special Field 20.

I have no issue with manipulation of the less smooth versions. Did a deer drive and had an 8 pt come zipping by. 19 pr 21 yards, in a pine tree farm, 2 rows in from shade kill on lower edge (mature trees where he was). Down the row, scope at 1.5X............I shot him 3 times.

BANGBANGBANG.

Cuz thought I had an 1100.

All three on fwd edge of shoulder, group the size of your palm. Almost lead him too far LOL. He was at max speed, straight line zoom (wouldn't have shot at him if bounding).

That gun was an almost brand new 870 Supermag w rifled bbl. Gritty clunker it was.

BOOMBOOMBOOM it went.

A slicker action does feel better, but you aint gonna tell the diff afield.

Mossberg vs 870?

I DETEST a thick wristed shotgun. Even for deer hunting (where it may not matter). Have had maybe 6 or 7 Model 500's and an 835.

The latter for 3.5" steel on geese way back.
    Bismuth #2's had that gun sold mid season and back to 3" mag Remington I went (1100 mag). Triples are freakin awesome.

My Mossbergs ran OK, first was a Regal combo. Got it mainly for deer. Got one and next yr gave it as a present. Got on a MZ kick. Then back when $ tight to M500 for deer. Smoothbore.......they actually were IMHO better than smoothbore Remingtons.

Rifled bbls it made them even accuracy wise. Like my scopes mounted low. Not cool with a Mossberg tang safety. Also prefer a dedicated deer rig.

Brother still has his 500. He's a lefty. He should get a BPS ;)

Last edited:

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    I went with the Mossburg Maverick 88.
    Actually just picked it up today. It's raining so I haven't shot it yet.
    Talking to the gunsmith I had it shipped to, I'm wishing I would have gone with the Remmington. It may not matter much, but he said that the 2 guns are not that different except that the Remmington is much easier to work on.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have had both brands and stick with Mossy's. They are easy to work on. Tolerances are loose so they will keep going when filthy. The military has thousands of them in service. Your Maverick will serve you well for decades to come.

Top Bottom