My daughter can legally own, her husband cannot how do I...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Tell her to lose the looooooser.

My oldest sister is a felon. Took some money from a register when she was a starving college student over 20 years ago and now she is a single mother of two, deprived of the right to defend herself, or her children over a stupid mistake over 2 decades ago.

They're not all losers.

My understanding is that there can be no firearms in the home. Period.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    My oldest sister is a felon. Took some money from a register when she was a starving college student over 20 years ago and now she is a single mother of two, deprived of the right to defend herself, or her children over a stupid mistake over 2 decades ago.

They're not all losers.

my brother is a felon. his understanding is, he can come to my home, live in my home, he can not have access to my firearms.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

They're not all losers.

This is my understanding as well, but IANAL. As I recall there is no way to prove he cant access it, so under the same roof is a no-no. (you cant prove he doesnt know the combination to the safe for instance)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is there any legal basis for this understanding or just a logical conclusion, or dare I say gunshop blabbery?

Good question. Nobody here with the professional qualifications will open their pie hole (Not blaming them one bit) and Nobody that has experienced the issue that actually put one of these gents on retainer and received actual legal advice has reported back.

So maybe she's good, maybe she'll send him up the river when the parole officer finds out there is a gun in the residence. Nobody really knows at this point. Its all speculation about posession/constructive posession and whether the gun can even be present in the home as long as he is living there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    From her mouth, when I wanted to get her a pistol on Christmas one year. It was explained to her in Court that there was to be no guns. Period.

Ah - in response to you attempting to gift a pistol to a felon. Gotcha.

I take it that she hasn't had interactions with the courts in 20 years or so?

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    Hard to say. Nothing more serious than a speeding ticket, TBS.

Keep in mind this also happened in Lucas County, OH. I don't know if the rules differentiate from state to state, as I am not a lawyer, but I sincerely doubt it. She had a BF down in Clarksville that owned a little .17 and she didn't boot him out, so it's not as though she was subject to random inspections, but she explicately stated the courts said no guns, period. She's not anti-gun, either.

Top Bottom