• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    He had a heart attack Thursday and was lifelined to St. Vincents. I spent the majority of the day there yesterday. He seems to be doing ok. He's able to talk and walk if needed. He'll have a triple bypass done on Monday. He is 58 and quit smoking 35 years ago.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Prayers sent for a safe and rapid recovery.

St V is the place to be if you need that work done.

Don't leave anything visible in your car to steal out in those front parking lots. Little gangbangers like to "shop" the parking lot and run over to the bus stop and they are out of there. The front doors are locked at 10PM and you can get a shuttle around from the emergency entrance at night or just park in the lot to the left there as you are coming out the emergency area entrance.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My father had 5 way by pass just about 3 years ago. It is hard to see your parent go through this, but when he is healed, he will feel way better. My father didn't have an attack, but had blockages.

Few things to think about when he comes home. No air bags in cars for trucks for quite a while, don't remember the exact length. He is going to be sore. My father's biggest struggle was getting into his chair at home. Typical lazy boy, but was low that he played hell getting into or out of it. Mainly scared at hurting his breast bone repair. I took some 2x12's, put 2 side by side and then decked 2 more the other direction. Screwed them together, then put the chair on top and screwed the legs of the chair to the new base. It's wide and heavy enough to not allow tipping. It still resides under that chair today in his man cave!!

Good luck to your father, and your family. Surgery day will be long for everyone.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My father, age 71, had heart surgery at St. Vincent last summer. It was not a bypass but a twisted nerve which impacted the rhythm of his heart.

The docs untwisted the nerve and he was out in a day. He went back several times for check ups.

Your father is in good hands and he'll do great.:)

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    He'll be fine... and as posted, he'll feel much better in about 5 months, than he has in recent years.

One thing... when he leaves the hospital, he will likely have a small, firm pillow with him....... if you do nothing else for him, make sure that pillow is within his reach ALL THE TIME. If he has to cough, or sneeze, that pillow held to his chest will save him lots of pain. Ask me how I know.......

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had a 5 vessel bypass at Methodist last June after having an attack while helping a friend paint her house. I was in the hospital a week and was feeling good, except very sore, for a month or so. Then one of the bypass grafts collapsed and I had to go back in for stints. Was doing ok for another 4-5 weeks although my leg hurt. They kept telling me it was ok but after my persistence they did some doppler studies and found out my femoral artey was blocked from the stint procedure! SURPRISE!! So back in again for more stints. They tore my femoral artery during the procedure and had to repair it with multiple stints. Going on 6-7 months since that and my main problem is just soreness in the sternum and some weakness in my leg. My cardiologist said it might take a year to really feel better. Sorry for the long post, hope yer dad does well. My buddy had his bypass at St V and did much better than I did so yer dad will do fine...

zbiddle91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    SULLIVAN
    talked to spainy today his dad is out of surgrey and doing well just letting you guys know. now im gonna go walk his dog cesar lol

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I'm back home now. Surgery took about 4.5 hours Monday; they did 5 bypasses. I got to see him for a little bit last night but left before he woke up. Arrived back at the hospital today, he was awake and even talking to those around him. He even got to stand up at one point. He did good on the breathing test they gave him. His special pillow was close by at all times as he was coughing quite a bit. It looks like he will get to come home Monday.

Top Bottom