• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I put 90 rounds of various ammo through the 856, today, with no issues EXCEPT for 1 misfire (out of 14 rounds) with MagTech 148gr WC. Also took my CA Off Duty. Put 87 rounds down range with 1 misfire - Magtech again. It has also misfires in my 442. I won't be buying any more of that. Everything else works just fine.

Mixed emotions about the 856 today. At 5 and 7 yards, I can shoot as fast as I can find the sights and keep the holes in a four-inch circle. I tried single action from 10 yards, 7 yards, and 5 yards. I was all over the place, even when taking my time. Maybe worse when taking my time. I've got a very effective double action pull: one smooth stroke all the way to discharge. I shake A LOT when trying to fire single action. That needs some work (me, not the gun). Oh, BTW, I did not find the heavier-than-my-other-revolvers trigger a hindrance at all in double action shooting. I will not be changing out any springs. But boy do I need to work on my single action trigger work. Suffice it to say, I am happy with my Taurus 856 Defender.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    After my last range trip, and my horrible performance trying to shoot single action with this gun, I have decided to purchase a Galloway spring kit for my Taurus 856. While I have it apart, I will do a good cleaning, and apply some lubricant, and if I am feeling particularly froggy, I may try to polish a part or two. I've never torn down a revolver, but I am quite comfortable w/complete takedown of 1911s. Plus, there are lots of videos on YouTube.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I find that my issues shooting single-action are more me than the gun. A long, smooth DA pull is easy to be consistent with, once you've mastered the concept of pulling straight through in one smooth motion. With an SA trigger, even a light one, you're coming up against a wall that requires additional force to overcome. Trying to pull past that without moving the sights can be a challenge, because you're abruptly altering the amount of force that has to be applied mid-pull.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I find that my issues shooting single-action are more me than the gun. A long, smooth DA pull is easy to be consistent with, once you've mastered the concept of pulling straight through in one smooth motion. With an SA trigger, even a light one, you're coming up against a wall that requires additional force to overcome. Trying to pull past that without moving the sights can be a challenge, because you're abruptly altering the amount of force that has to be applied mid-pull.
    Agreed, I need to work on my SA pull. I did compare the 856 SA pull the 686+ SA pull. The 856 is heavy and has some creep. The 686+ is less heavy and breaks as soon as I think about pulling the trigger. World of difference. I hope the springs help. SA with the 686+ allows me to put 5 shots in 1.5" at 7 yds. I can't touch that with the 856.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'm not sure I ever mentioned this, but I did order a set (hammer and trigger return) of Galloway springs for my 856 ($17.50 w/free shipping). They arrived yesterday. I installed them this morning. Fairly straightforward job, made a bit more difficult by fat fingers and really bad up close eyesight. It took me about 40 minutes, start to finish. Without testing real ammo, the results are just a tad on the amazing side. My 856 went from the heaviest DA trigger pull, by far, of my revolvers (Off Duty, 442, 686+) to on par with the Off Duty and 442, yet a bit lighter than both. The DA pull on the 856 may be a bit lighter than the 686+, but the size difference in the guns makes it hard to tell. The springs WAY improved the SA trigger pull on the 856; it is HUGELY better. It still does not come close to the SA pull of the 686+. My only concern right now is light primer strikes. I will update after my next range trip, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I got my 856 Defender and its new springs to Range USA, today. The action is a lot better, both DA and SA, allowing me to shoot way better. I took a box each of 6 different brands/types of ammo, and shot 25 rounds of each. No issues EXCEPT 4 failures to fire, (light primer hits) in 4 cylinders of Winchester Train & Protect 130gr FMJFN. 3 of them went off on the second strike, 1 took 3 hits to go off. I did a bit of Googling to find quite a few comments about Winchester's 'hard' primers. As I had no misfires with any of the other 5 brands of ammo, I am inclined to call this an ammo problem. Any opinions out there about Winchester's primers?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've not had any issues with Winchester primers, except with guns that are already having light-strike issues with other ammo. I'd say they're pretty much middle of the road as far as ignition sensitivity goes. For a defensive gun, I want it to reliably light off any quality primer that gets thrown at it. If it will only ignite softer primers, I'd say it's marginal, and that's not something I'd want to bet my life on. I'd rather deal with a slightly heavier trigger and know that I have a bit of extra reliability built into the system. A heavy trigger also doesn't have to be a bad trigger...it can still be smooth and drop the hammer with authority.

I can understand tuning a competition gun for Federal primers because that's all you're ever going to shoot though it, and you life isn't in the line...but that's a different application altogether.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've not had any issues with Winchester primers, except with guns that are already having light-strike issues with other ammo. I'd say they're pretty much middle of the road as far as ignition sensitivity goes. For a defensive gun, I want it to reliably light off any quality primer that gets thrown at it. If it will only ignite softer primers, I'd say it's marginal, and that's not something I'd want to bet my life on. I'd rather deal with a slightly heavier trigger and know that I have a bit of extra reliability built into the system. A heavy trigger also doesn't have to be a bad trigger...it can still be smooth and drop the hammer with authority.

I can understand tuning a competition gun for Federal primers because that's all you're ever going to shoot though it, and you life isn't in the line...but that's a different application altogether.
    I guess that is what I thought, also. I'd rather have a reliable gun than lighter trigger. I will make another range trip and see what happens; I have 2-1/2 more boxes of the Winchester ammunition. My Charter Arms Off Duty only misfires w/Magtech ammo. Too bad I have none of that left to run through the Taurus. I will try the Winchester ammo in the Off Duty. If it works in the Off Duty, and does not work - reliably - in the 856, I will put the factory springs back in. Which would be a shame; they actually did improve the trigger. Possibly at the expense of reliability.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    This just occurred to me. Does it make any sense at all to just put the factory hammer spring back in, and leave the Galloway trigger return spring in? I am having no problems with trigger return. I even tried riding the trigger a bit. It resets every time. At least it did for 145 rounds, today.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Back in the day of police revolvers S&W’s they polished the internals. Lighting the springs was frowned upon for light strikes.

Colts were not messed with much they are smooth out of the box.
    I did a lot of Googling about Wolff and/or Galloway spring sets for the Taurus 856. Most comments were favorable, with a few stating they caused light hits. I like experimenting, and they only cost $17.50. If it happens again, I will pull the springs and go back to factory originals. It is not a big deal to change them. By the way, my S&W triggers are just fine, right out of the box.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This just occurred to me. Does it make any sense at all to just put the factory hammer spring back in, and leave the Galloway trigger return spring in? I am having no problems with trigger return. I even tried riding the trigger a bit. It resets every time. At least it did for 145 rounds, today.
    Try it see how it works for you and take it to the range. Then give us a range report.
    You might stumble on a new and improved set up.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I went back through my range records and discovered that I have run a box of this Winchester (4 misfires in Galloway sprung 856) through my Charter Arms Off Duty. This ammo worked in my Off Duty. For the record, the Off Duty had 1-3 misfires PER CYLINDER of Magtech ammo, and worked fine with everything else I fed it. I have drawn the conclusion that the Galloway hammer spring is too light for my 856. I put the factory hammer spring back in the 856 this morning. I left the Galloway trigger return spring in the 856. I can't comment about the trigger pull. I want it to be lighter than factory, but I can't be sure it is. And I have no trigger pull gauge. Back to the range.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I put Apex springs and extended firing pin after radiusing and polishing the trigger on my 442. I also polished the internals as I am an armorer for S&W, Colt, Rock River, Glock, blah blah blah ( all those certs hanging on the wall mean nothing except my old job paid for them.)

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I put Apex springs and extended firing pin after radiusing and polishing the trigger on my 442. I also polished the internals as I am an armorer for S&W, Colt, Rock River, Glock, blah blah blah ( all those certs hanging on the wall mean nothing except my old job paid for them.)
    Thanks for posting that, but I have neither the knowledge, the tools, or the desire to get that far into a gun. BTW, my 442's trigger is just fine straight from the factory. Out of the box, the Taurus 856 was the worst trigger I've ever seen. After a few hundred rounds and a few thousand dry fires, it is much better.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you think that trigger is bad, I've got an AMT backup that will work your digits over. I've owned a couple Taurus revolvers in the past and they had decent triggers on them from the get-go and I haven't had to do much except polish them to be phenomenal. I have zero experience with any of their new stuff. Maybe the liability lawyers have a say in the springs or complaints of light primer strikes?

If you were closer, I'd work on it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I went back through my range records and discovered that I have run a box of this Winchester (4 misfires in Galloway sprung 856) through my Charter Arms Off Duty. This ammo worked in my Off Duty. For the record, the Off Duty had 1-3 misfires PER CYLINDER of Magtech ammo, and worked fine with everything else I fed it. I have drawn the conclusion that the Galloway hammer spring is too light for my 856. I put the factory hammer spring back in the 856 this morning. I left the Galloway trigger return spring in the 856. I can't comment about the trigger pull. I want it to be lighter than factory, but I can't be sure it is. And I have no trigger pull gauge. Back to the range.
    Wheeler Manual Trigger Pull Scale with 8oz to 8lb Value Range for Gunsmithing, Shooting Competitions, and Trigger Adjustments https://a.co/d/hKmgou0

$20 free shipping.
    You'll play with this more than you think.

Top Bottom