• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just picked this up last Friday night. I've been wanting to get a quality AK for a while now and this seemed like a pretty good deal. It's an Arsenal SLR95 that looks like it's got pretty low miles on it.

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03292.jpg

If you can identify the round in this picture you'll have some bragging rights.

DSC03295.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

Everything in the pictures was bought as a package for $750 out the door. There were 5 tapco mags and two steel mags and one 5rd mag.

The only addition to the package that I bought was another Tapco magazine and I loaded it with a box of Winchester white box 7.62x39mm FMJ that I bought so I could compare. The tapco mag had to be filed just a hair so that it'd lock in the mag well. Looking at the other mags it looks like the previous owner did the same for them.

One question, I chambered a round of the new winchester white box rounds and it seems to have bent the bullet. If you roll it across a flat surface you can clearly see the woble and that the bullet has been pushed back into the case a ways. I've loaded several of the other steel cased rounds and never had the same issue. Are the Winchester rounds just to weak to take the stress of being chambered? This really surprised me.

I'll update with a range report when I get the time to get out and shoot this.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    round

My guess without seeing numbers its brass cased, copper coated steel core from Norinco,
    Orrrr
    Yugo brass mild steelcore???

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I didn't get a chance to say "czech white tip", but to answer IndyK's question, no, i think you're thinking of east german plastic core ammo. I have a bunch and that crap is weird. Fine weapon you got there sir.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The headstamp on the round is a backwards N, then a K. At the bottom the heastamp says 1977. The seller said it was a tracer, and I'd never seen any painted tip ammo for AK's before so I didn't see why not to trust him.

Is there much along the lines of tracer & AP ammo out there for AK's or is it easier just to buy the bimetal jacket ammo?

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    brass cased with red / orange sealant on the primer is tell tale for yugo, and is absolutely corrosive but also absolutely great ammo!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    My guess without seeing numbers its brass cased, copper coated steel core from Norinco,
    Orrrr
    Yugo brass mild steelcore???

Now I dont have one of those yugo white tip in my collection, can I trade ya an Infamous Norinco Steel Core Round for one of those:D PM SENT

Last edited:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I like that stock! Is that an Arsenal stock? I picked up a cheap WASR with an adjustable stock and HATE it! It actually vibrates and hurts my cheek when I shoot it. Ive been looking at replacing it with a thumbhole stock but the aftermarket ones look too thin and flimsy.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    There is a fair amount of tracer out there in 7.62x39 (available in reloads and factory loads). AP in x39 is rare, you probably won't find much aside from aside from dishonest people calling standard Chinese surplus AP.

I am not familiar with the white tip round that you have. Could be that someone just painted the tip, or it could be one of those reloads... reloaders nowadays love pulling the projectiles out of Yugo ammo and sticking a different projectile in there.

Top Bottom