• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Well, thanks to all the wildcatters on this site I now have another project rifle. :cool:
    About 3 weeks ago and after reading about some here who had done this, I decided to jump in on the .35 Remington "short" program. Amazingly everything came together quickly and about a week later I had rifle and all the components to load up and shoot the new to me rig.
    Have to say that the folks over at the Marlin Owners site are a super bunch of folks and with much help there I found all the goods.
    Thanks to Aszerigan for the FFL transfer!
    The rifle, a 1984 in awesome condition! I just love how the lever guns handle. The day I brought her home I think I heard some grumbling from my 358 Hoosier rifle in the safe. ;)

Week before last I put some development loads together using 1X fired R-P brass, Leverevolution powder and Hornady FTX bullets.
    Range results...

I think this one is liking the upper end charges but it looks like I may be getting some stringing as the third round always manages to stray from the group.

Yesterday I got back out to the range with some of the 41.5 grain charges to make the final scope adjustments. This time I let her cool a bit longer between shots and was rewarded with a much better group. The first round was before scope adjustment.

Ready for a hair test now!

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    Good shootin' and good luck with the hair test. Our county didn't make the bonus this year. Last year I hair tested my 45/70 1.8', it passed with flyin' colors! I'll have to wait till next year to hair test my 35 Remington short.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Congrats on joining the 35 Remington Short crowd. I've been using the 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8 this year and it's working great. I have taken 5 deer and all made it around 20-30 yards and were down. My shots have been from 40 yards to 200 yards. I am also using the Leverevolution, but capping it off with a Hornady 180gr SP-SSP and my case is a reformed 30-40 Krag. I am shooting mine in a 16" T/C Contender with an MGM barrel. It is shooting around .5 MOA out to 200 yards so I could not ask for more accuracy.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Congrats on joining the 35 Remington Short crowd. I've been using the 35 Remington Rimmed 1.8 this year and it's working great. I have taken 5 deer and all made it around 20-30 yards and were down. My shots have been from 40 yards to 200 yards. I am also using the Leverevolution, but capping it off with a Hornady 180gr SP-SSP and my case is a reformed 30-40 Krag. I am shooting mine in a 16" T/C Contender with an MGM barrel. It is shooting around .5 MOA out to 200 yards so I could not ask for more accuracy.

Nice!
    Do you know what fps are you getting with that setup?
    I have heard good things about that SSP bullet. You getting pass-throughs out to the 200 yard mark?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I do not know the fps. I have had pass throughs out to 125 on broadside shots, but the 200 yard doe I took a couple days ago was a facing neck shot with no exit. I did not find the bullet though.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Nice shooting. I've had great results with 41.8 grains of lever under the 200 ftx. Good luck hunting. I've taken two deer with my 35 rem short this year.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I need to review the Indiana regs to find out why the .35Rem is being shortened. I read something months ago and dangit if I can recommember what the deal was.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I need to review the Indiana regs to find out why the .35Rem is being shortened. I read something months ago and dangit if I can recommember what the deal was.
    Indiana regs state a maximum case length of 1.80" to hunt Deer with a CF rifle and the 35 Rem case length is, IIRC, 1.910".

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    1.8". Got it. On a another thread I suggested that a belted magnum case be shortened, necked down and christened the .35 Stupid Paper Pusher. When I relocate to White County the fast twist .458 bore muzzleloader is going with me.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    By the way, stay warm and dry. Was up yalls way for Christmas and it was really mild. Seeing the lights at the Indie zoo was plum enjoyable. Loved the dolphin show.

Top Bottom