• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    They're done at my getaway in Owen county. This year was terrible, and my neighbors all report the same sad season. I usually harvest 6X what I did this year. :noway:

However, here's my final tribute to the season ..... from salt water bath, to on the plate ! :drool:

IMG_2741%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_2742%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_2743%20copy-L.jpg

IMG_2744%20copy-L.jpg

I have to ask what you are breading those with.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    No luck up here yet. I was hoping the rain and cool nights would bring some up. Any one having luck in St Joe County?

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I agree. Worst year in quite a while for me. Went out four times (three different weeks). I found 4 yellows one day, shut out the rest. Four different spots (one each). Usually find 25-30 on the property. The weather never really cooperated. Snow in early April to 80 degree days early May. Kosciusko county. Didn't see many others with great luck either.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Neighbor lady has been bringing me maitakis, hen of the woods. (Many thanks to philo for exact identification!)

View attachment 162454

She likes to woods walk and find them, but doesn't eat them. She eats my garden produce though. ;)
    I never knew what they were called, but DoggyMama's dad gave us a bunch of those one time (already cut up, so I didn't know what the whole ones looked like). They freeze well too. They're what got me started on putting mushrooms in my chili.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I never knew what they were called, but DoggyMama's dad gave us a bunch of those one time (already cut up, so I didn't know what the whole ones looked like). They freeze well too. They're what got me started on putting mushrooms in my chili.
    Haven't attempted freezing any yet, but they dehydrated quite well overnight.

20211008_182349.jpg

Not to mention having 'shrooms as or in every meal for the last few.

I had the hens in the dehydrator for a bit, while picking the hot peppers to fill more trays. The mushroom smell about knocked me over when putting in the ghosts and Caribbeans.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Tried chicken of the woods couple weeks ago and have ate about 1/2 lb. and froze about 7-8 lbs. I read where they are very good as surviving being frozen. Also yesterday picked a puff ball and ate for first time also. I read they have a earthy taste but absorb food and spices. Friend batters them in egg and flour and fries like a pancake...will try that later. I cut mine in little chunks and put in with eggs, pepper, salt, onion flakes and ham and scrambled up.....I couldn't tell, they tasted just like the eggs.thumbnail.jpegthumbnail.jpeg

Top Bottom