• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I grew up with a dad who had all kinds of ham equipment. Every Tuesday morning he would wake up early and talk to his friends (old missionaries) in Haiti. Neat experiences with that. Of course, if the SHTF, not a bad system to be able to connect 2000 miles away..

Now we all use (my brother and my dad and I) use CBs on our motorcycles for long trips. A surprising amount of motorcyclists use them too, along with truckers of course. Don't think it's a bad investment either.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Yes thats with the rg6. The instructions with the meter told me how to get the readings but they didn't really tell me what they mean. I'll try to check the other side this weekend to see what we get. What do the readings mean and whats the good or bad range?

Is there any room for improvement here and how would I go about doing so?

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    SWR is an indication of power transfer expressed as a ratio of forward vs reflected (or returned). In a perfect setup you would have 100% forward power (power to the antenna) and 0% returned power (power coming back in to the radio) Since there is no perfect setup there will always be some SWR. On the meter a perfect match would read 1:1, An acceptable match can go as high as 3:1. Anything above that should be addressed.

In practical use, when you set your forward reading to the "set" the reflected reading is a percentage of reflected power. Hope this helps.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    We checked the other side and its showing between 4-5 for swr and reflected. We tried a new SMA - pl259 and got the same result. We're going to check for a short in the cable and antenna and fix any problems.

Top Bottom