• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Neither does the Mueller report. Weren't you one of the ones saying FedGov could pry your data from your cold dead hands when they were seeking to prove just that. It seems a bit disingenuous to refuse to accept the best estimates available while fighting against the aquisition of more accurate data

They didn't say "best estimates."

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It also doesn't factor in gerrymandered congressional districts by the republicans set up to minimize the effects of democrat voters. One needs only to look at state assemblies and and senators. The effect at the national level is there to some degree, but probably less pronounced.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would put it this way. I think the Democrats are investing in giving incentives in order to harvest future potential votes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Agree. I scanned the paper. I'm uncertain it yields much in the way of useful information or conclusions.

To what extent do illegal immigrants change presidential elections? Floods of immigrants voting in California would change the frequency of the blue, but not shift it anywhere toward red.

All the illegals in the USA voting enbloc for Kamala Harris would still throw the election to Trump.

You should scan a little deeper, there Data. Look at the section where they go into percentage vote margins and percentage of estimated illegals voting necessary to swing the election - it was only 5.1% of ~140k illegals necessary to account for the margin of victory in NC, a state which has only recently been in play. And it's 'beyond the purview' :) of the study but why would you suppose McCauliff was so anxious to give felons the right to vote (and quickly) that he violated state law and tried to do a blanket restoration rather than case by case? Virginia is another state that ha been put in play recently, and I can easily believe that when a machine like the Democratic party sees the results will be close that they would be willing to deploy such strategies to put a thumb on the scales

'No harm, no foul' seems a bit laissez faire coming from the tribe that can't admit that not one vote can be documented to have been changed by Russian trolling in 2016

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It also doesn't factor in gerrymandered congressional districts by the republicans set up to minimize the effects of democrat voters. One needs only to look at state assemblies and and senators. The effect at the national level is there to some degree, but probably less pronounced.

How quickly those that decry 'But Democrats ...' will fall back on 'But Republicans ...' when they keep getting beat by people playing by the rules. Like so many other things, Dems are only against gerrymandering when they're not the ones in power to do it

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They didn't say "best estimates."

If they are the only estimates, then I've got news for you - they are the best estimates. If you care to cite counter-estimates of a scholarly nature, have at it. If you care to pick nits, likewise. You asked for cites, you got them. You have a quibble with the statistical methods (other than they don't yield your preferred outcome) I'm all ears

Directly from the abstract of the Old Dominion/George Mason study

This study examines participation rates by non-citizens using a nationally representative sample that includes non-citizen immigrants. We find that some non-citizens participate in U.S. elections, and that this participation has been large enough to change meaningful election outcomes including Electoral College votes, and Congressional elections. Non-citizen votes likely gave Senate Democrats the pivotal 60th vote needed to overcome filibusters in order to pass health care reform and other Obama administration priorities in the 111th Congress.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It is one factor, Bug. But I think the world is a lot more complex than worrying about illegals or felons voting and perhaps shifting the demographics of a few (and yes, I do mean very few) districts. As I mentioned, the districts can be, and have been, gerrymandered. State assemblies can be a lot more important than a congressional vote (for example, AOC is a jaybird, all mouth...but what happens in Albany has an effect on everyone in the state. AOC has no power except for a foto op and more media revenue).

Then there is the whole electronic media effects on voter psyche. Cambridge Analytica claimed 5000 data points on each voter. Do we not think that the stories we get aren't configured to elicit desired voting responses?

It's a quagmire. Isolating factors out to "illegal voters" "Russians" "ACORN" yada yada yada...can make one nauseous. The best one can do is to view it all as trash and attempt to arrive at what you believe is the best choice. I clearly have no guidance to anyone on what that basis should be...other than what you read and what you hear is probably incorrect at best and a lie worst of all.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is one factor, Bug. But I think the world is a lot more complex than worrying about illegals or felons voting and perhaps shifting the demographics of a few (and yes, I do mean very few) districts. As I mentioned, the districts can be, and have been, gerrymandered. State assemblies can be a lot more important than a congressional vote (for example, AOC is a jaybird, all mouth...but what happens in Albany has an effect on everyone in the state. AOC has no power except for a foto op and more media revenue).

Then there is the whole electronic media effects on voter psyche. Cambridge Analytica claimed 5000 data points on each voter. Do we not think that the stories we get aren't configured to elicit desired voting responses?

It's a quagmire. Isolating factors out to "illegal voters" "Russians" "ACORN" yada yada yada...can make one nauseous. The best one can do is to view it all as trash and attempt to arrive at what you believe is the best choice. I clearly have no guidance to anyone on what that basis should be...other than what you read and what you hear is probably incorrect at best and a lie worst of all.

With respect to illegals voting, and Blue state reluctance to allow the problem to be studied, Im'a have to go with a jamilism. If they act like they're hiding something, I'm going to suspect they're hiding something

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some takeaways from the hearing:
    -the president was not exonerated as he stated
    -Barr misrepesented the report in his brief
    -the president's written responses to Muller's questions were generally untruthful
    -The Trump campaign knew the Russians were assisting them, but failed to notify federal authorities
    -indicting the president was never an option
    -it is possible the president may face charges after he leaves office
    -the Mueller team did not investigate collusion
    -Trump was doing business with Russia during and after the campaign, contrary to what he has repeatedly stated in the past
    -Mueller did not interview for the FBI Director position

That's what was said at the Mueller Congressional, and I'm just passing it along. I'm sure the competing tribes will make of it what they will. The question I'm more interested in, is if amongst the people in the middle that listened, are they now inclined to lean one way or the other?

Surely even you can't be enough of an idiot to believe that garbage.

Top Bottom