• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Because a lot, probably even the majority, of motorcyclists in this country are seasonal "bikers" .

Sad but probably true.

I learned from backpacking that there is no bad weather, only bad clothing. I’ve always used the same mentality for riding.

It’s easy enough to extend the riding season and ride into the low 30’s with a high level of comfort by using heated liners.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I gotta cringe a bit when it's the end of August and there are guys lamenting the end of "riding season".

The venn diagram of those guys and guys who don't own a helmet(or if they do, it's practically a yarmulke) is probably almost just a circle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Agreed.

But I also realize I’m the exception on the road. Probably well under 1/2 ride with helmets in Indiana. Maybe 15% ride with a real moto jacket. Maybe 2% are like me and ride in full armored gear. Hell I’ve got 3 pairs of armored moto gloves with palm sliders and most guys I know are clueless as to what makes protective moto gloves different. Thinking about it most area shops don’t sell moto STREET gloves (but typically sell motocross gloves)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [video=youtube;dqZSYSqseRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqZSYSqseRM[/video]

"Videos that end too soon."

When a cager nearly runs you off the road, I'm not sure the safest response is to get as close to them as possible and berate them. It may feel good to chastise them, but sometimes you gotta put that lizard brain in the box and remember the goal is to make it home without a scratch.

(That's a personal reminder to myself.)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Beautiful riding. 40-ish degrees. Bright skies. Crossed the state line, followed the Kankakee river a bit, ran some 4 lane divided highway, mostly 2 lane, and a little gravel road too. Small towns, nice country.

6C3B0B1B-86DF-466C-8049-00CEAADDB481.jpg

9EFE9AF1-613A-4E9C-B59D-69AFFA20DBDD.jpg

836A3A28-F523-41ED-99EC-C52BF5ED9F48.jpg

D23D0955-D219-4BDD-A9D3-0CA65D224A16.jpg

519-C7-C0-F-2-B09-4-C0-D-96-C7-98-EA5-E036-F6-D-1-201-a.jpg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Got my liners put in, and it kept me nice and warm today. :yesway:

Put my liner in the "solid" jacket and the full gauntlet cold weather gloves out a while back... had to go about 45 minutes of highway speeds at 40 degrees. Forgot the long socks, so chilly shins above the boot line, lol, otherwise just fine.

Haven't put away the warm weather mesh jacket, but that's probably just wishful thinking. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Haven't put away the warm weather mesh jacket, but that's probably just wishful thinking. :)

Lower 70's and sunny up here in the NW corner of INGO land for the next few days. No liners needed at the moment. My full mesh is out for the season.

Bike design really makes a difference in comfort. Naked bike versus Road King riders are going to have different needs. I spend my time of ADV-Touring bikes which don't offer anything close to the wind protection of a Road King but give me a lot more protection than you'd get on a naked bike, cafe racer, etc. Cooler weather is the one time of year when I really envy the guys with the big H-Ds or Goldwings and all their wind protection.

I have 3 armored jackets. FULL mesh. Leather & textile with closable mesh panels. Full textile with minimal venting. This is perfect weather fo the Leather/Textile with mesh panels. Seal it up in the mornings when its 50 degrees, open them up during the midday for some airflow. The full textile jacket uses a water proof shell and a gore-tex knock-off membrane for breathing, it is also great in this weather, generally I use it for weather below 70-degrees.

My full mesh jacket has one of those insulated liners but I tossed it away. Makes no sense to wear a mesh jacket that soaks up rain or doesn't insulate as an outer shell. I have a gore-tex rain jacket, made to wear over a motorcycle jacket, that I will layer OVER either of my 2 lighter jackets to block rain, wind and/or add a layer of insulation if the weather turns.

I only use a 'liner' with my full textile jacket, and that liner is a 12-volt heated liner, and that gets fired up when the weather drops down to 55 or cooler. Rather than layering bulky layers for warmth the 12-volt heated liner is only a bit heavier than a trim cut windbreaker but keeps me warm down into the 30's without having to use layers. Much more body flexibility and ease of body movement when I don't have wear layers.

Honestly I wish I had known about the 12-volt heated gear years ago.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    My current bike, for the last 7 years, is a 599 Hornet naked, so I do get the full wind blast, lol!

I didn't toss the liner for my mesh jacket (with solid panels for should/elbow pads) but should... I've never used it.

Someday I hope to add a cruiser... my current candidate is VTX1300 with bags, back rest and a shield for longer road trips... and yeah, I'm a Honda fan-boy... every time I look at a bunch of different bikes, I end up just liking the Honda best.

First bike was a CB350 back in the days when you could get a moto license a year earlier than an auto license. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Was it cold this morning? I didn’t notice. I had my feet on the pegs, toe warmers open, heat vents open, windshield and fairing vents closed, cruise set with my full-face helmet on enjoying a podcast about Ft Knox through my helmet speakers. Enjoying the ride so much I almost missed my exit.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Was it cold this morning? I didn’t notice. I had my feet on the pegs, toe warmers open, heat vents open, windshield and fairing vents closed, cruise set with my full-face helmet on enjoying a podcast about Ft Knox through my helmet speakers. Enjoying the ride so much I almost missed my exit.

Does that bike have A/C for the summer months too? :dunno:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Does that bike have A/C for the summer months too? :dunno:

No, but you can switch the vents from warm (directed through the radiators) to fresh air, open up the fairing and windshield vents, and adjust the air deflectors to direct air on you. Still not as much wind as a naked bike, but enough to stay comfortable in warm weather without sacrificing gear.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My current bike, for the last 7 years, is a 599 Hornet naked, so I do get the full wind blast, lol!

I didn't toss the liner for my mesh jacket (with solid panels for should/elbow pads) but should... I've never used it.

Someday I hope to add a cruiser... my current candidate is VTX1300 with bags, back rest and a shield for longer road trips... and yeah, I'm a Honda fan-boy... every time I look at a bunch of different bikes, I end up just liking the Honda best.

First bike was a CB350 back in the days when you could get a moto license a year earlier than an auto license. :)

I'm not a cruiser fan at all, but I did have a VTX1300 and it is a nice bike with a low center of gravity. You'll like it.

Top Bottom