• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm just sayin' that I've made three half hour work trips in Monroe County in the last week. Traffic was quite mild, but every direction I headed, it was like hitting me was worth a thousand points and I was on four wheels.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but when riding in the modern day, you really need to be on your game. I think the percentage of distracted/old/self-centered drivers have intensified with the forced driving restrictions.
    Hell, I’m happy to ride next to/in front of/behind the blue hairs now! Far better than all the idiots that are too busy to drive! At least the old folks aren’t on their phones!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Once you go with a pizza box on the back it's hard to figure out why one never had anything else eh? Gallon of milk, soda/beer, meat, veggies. Sure, I'll go to the store honey....even if I have to go twice :)

Yep. 3-12pks and could have easily fit a fourth. I love my 2 wheeled station wagon.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Pulled the geezer glide out of the barn. Kicked the tires, dusted it off, checked the oil, filled the tank. I will be riding to work tomorrow. Morning will be a tad cool, but the ride home will be great.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Picked up a new lid on the way home today. I love it, but damn. This thing cost more than my first bike.

t19qekK_d.jpg

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Nice to see that SNELL rating. After last season's DOT sticker falsification scandal, with something like 30% of all DOT rated helmet models tested found to be below standard, I have even more reason to trust SNELL. Didn't know that DOT stickers could be applied to helmet models that have never been tested until the news broke that they allow it. In fact that is their normal procedure. A manufacturer designs a helmet, puts a DOT sticker on it, and typically a year or two later someone at DOT(?) gets around to running the design thru the tests. Pretty much explains all those fashion/pot/skull buckets with DOT stickers.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have an Arai and almost had to take out a second mortgage to buy it. But that was 2 years ago. Been looking at the Shoei helmets too. A nice lid is a good thing to have.

Yeah, I went to Iron Pony with my wife over in Columbus, OH (great, huge store, BTW)... I put on an Arai...:drool: ...my wife couldn't believe how much I paid for it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah, I went to Iron Pony with my wife over in Columbus, OH (great, huge store, BTW)... I put on an Arai...:drool: ...my wife couldn't believe how much I paid for it.

My wife doesn't know how much I paid for mine!

I have a Defiant Pro-Cruise. Its leaking awesome :rockwoot:

The sun screens lifts to become a visor. So you can look through darkened or clear lenses. So many vents it never overheats while riding. And comfort, comfort and more comfort.

arai_defiant_pro_cruise_right_side.jpg

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My wife doesn't know how much I paid for mine!

I have a Defiant Pro-Cruise. Its leaking awesome :rockwoot:

The sun screens lifts to become a visor. So you can look through darkened or clear lenses. So many vents it never overheats while riding. And comfort, comfort and more comfort.

arai_defiant_pro_cruise_right_side.jpg

That’s right in the ballpark of what I paid for the Shoei. Looks like Arai now offers a $4k motorcycle helmet. :faint:

https://www.araiamericas.com/corsair-x-rc-variation

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I bought the Arai, I mistakenly thought it was a lifetime investment.

After I put 5 years on my foolishly expensive Arai I shopped around to replace it, according to schedule. Found that prices on the gawd awful thing had went up by 40%. No, just NO.

NO more $100-$200 a year for helmet rental.

I've went down in price twice since then. Scorpion is not even close to how nice the fancy ones are. If dropped tomorrow though, fast and easy replacement at very competitive pricing.

In theory, same noggin protection. Not terribly far off in comfort and airflow.

Chicks don't know the difference between an Arai and a Scorpion. :twocents:

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In theory, same noggin protection.

If it has the same SNELL rating then yes. SNELL does update their ratings ever 5 years. ECE ratings are supposed to be pretty good too.

If it is only DOT rated then it may not have any actual protection at all. Several articles have shown that the DOT rating system is fraudulent, that DOT stickers are affixed to cheap imitation helmets, that DOT doesn't test the helmets until they have been on the market for a couple years and when they do test they they have a high failure rate (IF I recall correctly in the 30% range).

Most DOT marked helmets cannot pass SNELL and many DOT marked helmets cannot pass ECE.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If it has the same SNELL rating then yes. SNELL does update their ratings ever 5 years. ECE ratings are supposed to be pretty good too.

If it is only DOT rated then it may not have any actual protection at all. Several articles have shown that the DOT rating system is fraudulent, that DOT stickers are affixed to cheap imitation helmets, that DOT doesn't test the helmets until they have been on the market for a couple years and when they do test they they have a high failure rate (IF I recall correctly in the 30% range).

Most DOT marked helmets cannot pass SNELL and many DOT marked helmets cannot pass ECE.

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/review/exo-gt920

"I know a lot of riders are adamant about using helmets with SNELL approval, so I want to say this. No helmet with a modular front or a void inside the headform can qualify for a SNELL rating.

This is a modular helmet with a drop-down visor, so if these are features you value, the SNELL rating is the trade-off.

Scorpion offers multiple models with SNELL ratings though, so as a manufacturer they’re not afraid to subject themselves to that scrutiny. Take all that into consideration when choosing a helmet that fits your lifestyle."

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Modulars never carry a Snell rating, but I trust the Shoei is at least as safe as any other modular on the market.

Actually at least 1 modular earned a SNELL rating, but that was back under the 2010 standards. None even tried to meet the 2015 standard. No clue about the current 2020 standard. SNELL requires the manufacturers to submit the helmets and pay for the tests. Seems like the modulars may be doomed to fail because very few are on record as ever being submitted for testing.

I'd say a Shoei modular is about as safe as you can get in the modulars, certainly safer than a lot of the lower priced brands I looked at.

Top Bottom