• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I can’t bring myself to ride on salted roads with a new bike. I know… wuss!
    Not too mention the traction reduction on dry salted road and lack of grip from soft rubber tires that are uncharacteristically hard due to temps.

With my gear, I can be comfortable down to about 18-20F. It has to be special conditions for me at that temp though: dry with no chance of ice and not an overmuch layer of salt.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Revzilla helped me make a decision on gloves...

1647021519648.png

Ended up going with these...

1647021630402.png

A big plus is the touch screen compatibility. The old Alpines had to have sticky tape thingys to make them work on screen.

I went ahead and ordered large, even though my little girl hands are relatively small. I had had mediums in the cart and got the last minute idea to check the size of old gloves on the bike.

Last edited:

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    The 9th annual Riders for Striders ADV Charity Ride will be held May 14, 2022 at Stoney Lonesome Motorcycle Club near Columbus, Indiana.

Riders for Striders raises money to purchase Strider Bikes for Gigi's Playhouse - A Down Syndrome Achievement Center in Indianapolis and sponsor elementary schools with the “All Kids Bike” program. Gigi's uses the Striders to host several learn to bike camps where the students are able to take the Striders home with them for free after the camp. “All Kids Bike” makes learning to ride a bicycle part of kindergarten PE class. To date we have purchased over 200 Strider bikes!

The route is usually around 200 miles of back roads pavement, as much gravel as we can find, and maybe a little dirt. GPS tracks will be published as the ride approaches, as well as online registration Don't have GPS experience? No problem. Just show up and we will get you with a small group that you can follow.

Friday and Saturday night primitive camping and plenty of room for RVs (no power or hookups) for $5 per night. Lunch is included with your ride. A suggested donation breakfast and dinner will be available Saturday, May 14

REGISTRATION IS OPEN - www.ridersforstriders.org

GPS Tracks will be posted soon.

www.ridersforstriders.org
    Facebook - www.facebook.com/ridersforstriders

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Honey-do list kept me in all day yesterday. It looked beautiful but was busy and a 1500 trip Sat PM kept me away from the list. (Small 1500 haul: a few Magpul AR10 mags and a couple of battle packs of SA 7.62NATO.)

However, it was a gorgeous morning for a 20 mile stretch of Frogger on 465 W. The only downside were the two semis pulling a double-wide trailer on 465 before 0900?? I thought there were restrictions from doing that in rush hour in a major city? Oh well, ride home will be all back roads, 60F and gorgeous. I'm not always stoked about riding in to work in the morning but I am always glad when it is time to ride home.

Winterize

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    This meme reminds me of a story. Back in 1999 or 2000 I had built a HD chopper from the ground up, this was a wide tire, open primary custom soft tail chopper with a custom paint job. I had built several bikes before this one as a hobby but I planned on keeping this one so I put extra time and money in this build. It was all done but I was having trouble with the rear brakes, I would work on the spacing on the rear tire, test drive until I finally got it fixed. This bike maybe had 20 miles on it. My last test ride I can home to find my 16 year old daughter washing her car in front of the garage so I parked about 30 behind her and told her don’t get this bike wet.
    I then go to the front of the house to help my wife do some landscaping. A few minutes later I hear this god awful sound and my wife says what was that, I said MY BIKE. I go around back to see my bike laying on its side with broken parts in the driveway and drag marks in the gravel where she pushed it backwards for about 10 feet before the kickstand broke off. As I am walking by her car she cracks her window open and yells “I am sorry dad”
    Kids you got to love them.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Love BMW bikes & have since 1976 when I rode my first one.
    Yep, have had a GS and still have that old RT. When discussing the boxers (and you would be from 1976) then understressed and simple to work on. A bit more preventative/routine maintenance but as long as you do it, they run a good long time. The GS had 80k on it when I sold it and the RT is nearing 70k now. The Ohlins suspension and Russell DayLong seat are worth almost as much as the rest of the bike, lol. Still it has taken me from Thunder Bay to Key West, so it will stay with me until it dies or I give it to a family/friend. For what it is, it still moves well enough with nearly 100hp. Hardly a real sport bike but hardly a cruiser either. Really just a big standard with bags, a fairing and electric windshield.

I can find something with every manufacturer that I love though. All bikes look like puppies that I want to take home - scooters and Groms included. Only a few would I outright decline - like the KLR650 I once had. It was a mind numbingly boring bike.

Top Bottom