• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    OK, I am going to put on my horned helmet and pick up my pitchfork and offer a defense of MIM. In the manufacturing process, the tradeoff (for quality MIM) is a high cost for equipment up front with the return in form of making pieces of remarkably uniform dimensions every time. If you get it right once, you have it forever. For firearm use, one particular advantage is uniform hardness through the entire piece so that you don't have problems like digging through surface-hardened steel into soft metal while smithing on your trigger. The other side of this coin is that MIM is more brittle and less tolerant of being side-loaded (For example, dropping a MIM S&W Model 60 on a concrete floor is a good way to get about half of the hammer spur broken off. Don't ask how I know this.). In the end, of my four S&W revolvers, two are MIM and two are old school. Aside from not particularly liking the look of the gray metal and the hollowed out back side of the triggers, I can't complain about the MIM parts. The only problem I ever had was due to my own mistake.
    I have no problem with process as long as those responsible understand the limitations and don't slack off on making a quality product. You make some good points on the downside of older revolvers and vintage pieces. Yet I still sense a greater pride and competency than I find in most modern fare. Again my opinion. Great stuff. Thanks Dave.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom