Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    @KellyinAvon, I give the Air Force credit.
    You guys seem to place great importance on your refueling fleet.

The Navy tried to become more "efficient".. code for cutting down to the bone.
    Which means when something fails... there is nothing in the barn to pick up the slack.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @KellyinAvon, I give the Air Force credit.
    You guys seem to place great importance on your refueling fleet.

The Navy tried to become more "efficient".. code for cutting down to the bone.
    Which means when something fails... there is nothing in the barn to pick up the slack.
    Pull on up, we’ll gas up your Hornets and Growlers. Got the big badminton birdie looking thing for you non-boom types.

I think it’s called a drogue and chute, but big badminton birdie thing is a better description.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Pull on up, we’ll gas up your Hornets and Growlers. Got the big badminton birdie looking thing for you non-boom types.

I think it’s called a drogue and chute, but big badminton birdie thing is a better description.
    Still need AvGas on the carrier, to launch.
    And while the video mentioned civilian tankers, civilians don't don't do underway replenishment.
    And making a Carrier go back home to refuel, takes it out of the 'fight' for too long.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    On this date in 1942 America’s first jet fighter prototype flew. Yes, 1942. There was still work to be done as it was slower than the top propeller fighters of the day and never entered production.

Link with much more info:

Things got sorted out and on this day in 1947 the prototype XP-86 (which became the F-86 of Korean War fame)made its first flight. It was flown by George Welch, and during this inaugural flight it may have exceeded Mach 1 in a dive, a week before Chuck Yeager set the official record for first aircraft to exceed Mach 1.

(George Welch was one of two fighter pilots to get airborne during the attack on Pearl Harbor. In his P-40 he shot down 4 Japanese aircraft. Although Hap Arnold recommended Welch be awarded the MOH, an officer in Welch’s chain of command refused to endorse it because Welch took off without orders. !! Welch received the DFC instead.)

Alas the first prototype XP-86 was destroyed in 1952 as a ground test target of the only nuclear artillery shell ever fired by the US, a W-9 warhead fired from the M-65 Atomic Cannon.

Link with much more info:

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Probably $$, especially after cutting out the nuke reactor (if I understand the decommissioning part correctly).

Hope they keep one of each class on display somewhere.
    Sails, anchors, and ship's bells only.

My sub's bell is at Marshall University in Huntington Univ, Virginia

Although I have the chain that used to go across the entrance to Maneuvering. :)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was thinking about this earlier, I think a lot of Veterans here at INGO would've had similar experiences.

I grew up on a farm just south of east fork White River in Washington County. On 7 February 1986 I got on an airplane for the first time in my life. In a very short period of time, I met people from all over the country.

In Basic Training there was a guy in the Flight from Louisiana. Seriously Cajun, he was nuts.

In my Tech School class there was a Greek guy from Chicago, another Cajun, and a girl from New Hampshire who had such a heavy eat-coast accent I about couldn't understand what she was saying. They were kind of crazy and fun to hang out with. Tech school was in Denver at Lowry AFB. We got a foot of snow one night and the guy from Hawaii who had never seen snow was off the rails.

At my first base I remember having good friends from Missouri (town with a population of 27,) Queens, NY, north Georgia, South Dakota, and Philadelphia (biggest trash-talker I've ever met in my life.)

A couple bases later I worked for a guy who (by his accent) had to be from Baaston or somewhere east coast. He was from Miami, everybody he grew up with was from the east coast and all sounded like Yankees.

Years later when I was in Qatar the three of us (best team I've ever worked with, ever) couldn't have been from different backgrounds. Jill (Major in 2005, retired Colonel) was from Oregon, her parents were hippies. Rob (MSgt in 2005, retired Chief, currently a muckety-muck in Space Force) is an Air Force brat (his Dad is a retired SMSgt who did multiple tours in Vietnam) went to high school on Randolph AFB, Texas in the same class with soccer star Mia Hamm.

I taught a lot of people how to play Euchre (if you can play Spades, you can play Euchre. There aren't always three other Hoosiers so you do what you gotta do.) I also convinced a lot of people motorcycle is pronounced, MO-tor-SICK-ill.

I've met a lot of people from a lot of places. Most are all right, some are a-holes, some are DBs.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Your assessment of some being "nuts" is correct. Had one recruit in Marine boot camp get up and put on 2 left boots. One of his and one of someone else.

Went on a 6 month Med Cruise and had one Marine never leave the ship. I mean a once in a lifetime free trip to Egypt and the pyramids. Many other countries on that cruise and he never left to see them.

Don

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Ill say the most boisterous soldiers where ones from New York, Los Angeles and Texas. People from those 3 places never let a day go by without reminding you where they where from

Top Bottom