Military BS Stories or the last liar wins.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Sigonella, Italy the carrier dropped the anchor. I was on the bow to shift the colors. It was easy to know when because we could hear/feel the anchor drop. Well it started to go and we raised the Union Jack at the bow.

The anchor continued to rumble beneath our feet and kept getting louder and faster. Seems the chain brake failed. Got to the "Bitter End" of the chain followed by a loud bang and the end went in the water. Real experience when a 60,000 lb + anchor and chain get going fast and loose!

Dropped the other anchor. Came back a week or so later and divers had the end on a barge. Interesting process watching them recover it.

Don

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If you've heard this one before don't stop me, I want to hear it again ;)

31 May 2001 (very specific date) young USAF MSgt KellyinAvon is assigned to the 53rd Wing at Eglin AFB (Fort Walton Beach) Florida.

"Wing" is an organizational echelon in the USAF: 2 or more flights make a squadron, 2 or more squadrons make a Group, 2 or more Groups make a Wing.

Our Vice Wing Commander was retiring. Straight up, none of the Enlisted troops could remotely stand this guy. Worst stereotype of the fighter-pilot, that was this guy. His last flight in an F-16? This clown wouldn't land the jet until it was on fumes.

None of us Enlisted troops on the Wing Staff wanted to go to this guy's retirement ceremony. We got told we were going, so we went.

Most retirement ceremonies are pretty similar. After all the reading, presenting, shake/take/saluting, then the retiree makes some remarks.

I would describe what followed as somewhere between Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV AKA "Sheets Byrd" AKA "KKK Byrd") filibustering and Bob Dylan going off-script.

Blurba-blurba-blurba, DECLARING IN FLIGHT EMERGENCY. Blurba-blurba-blurba, PERMISSION TO EJECT! Blurba-blurba-blurba, landed near an ancient burial grounds.

Mid blurba he realizes (retired) General Chuck Horner (Joint Forces Air Component Commander during Desert Storm) is in the crowd and starts talking to him.

The very specific date of 31 May 2001: retirement dates are the first of the month. At a retirement ceremony the actual retirement date might be way out in the future due leave saved up and permissive TDY for house hunting if you didn't know where you were going to end up (like me.) In the Military you earn 30 days of leave per year. You can carry over 60 days of leave into the next fiscal year (over 60 you lose except in specific circumstances, then you can carry 90.)

I had 101 days from last day in uniform and retirement date (81 days of leave, 20 days permissive TDY.)

This guy was retired the next day, 1 June 2001. NEVER saw that before or after.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Speaking of retirement ceremonies …

When I was at Space and Missile Systems Center at Los Angeles AFB my direct supervisor, a bird colonel, retired. Col S asked me to take charge of his retirement ceremony. This is kind of a pain in the neck job, but he was a really good guy and I was happy to do it for him.

The Army had pulled out of Fort MacArthur (named for Doug’s dad), which is in San Pedro, in 1982, transferring the housing area (and parade ground) to the USAF to support Los Angeles AFB. I organized an outdoor combo retirement/retreat ceremony on the parade ground where there was a big flag pole and a couple of small towed artillery pieces that the Army left behind. We held it on Friday evening as the sun was setting. It was really nice.

The artillery could still be fired (with blanks), and were part of the ceremony. The Star-Spangled Banner was played as the flag was lowered, and on the last note of the anthem, one of the guns was fired. The flag was folded and presented to Col S. The base (Air Force) Security Forces provided a colorguard for the flag and a crew to fire the artillery piece.

As I said, Colonel S was a really good guy, very popular, and there were a lot of people attending. Including his family, of course. He was a divorced Mormon with about five or six kids, and he remarried to a divorced Mormon woman who also had five or six kids, so just his immediate family took up the entire front row. I believe you had quite a few out-of-town relatives show up as well. We also had an honor flight of airmen, and then lots of people from the joint program office, plus lots of contractor representatives (the joint program office bought GPS equipment and satellites by the millions and billions of dollars so major contractors always showed up for everything). So we had probably a couple hundred or more people.

Right on the cue of the last note of the Anthem the SF troop yanked the lanyard.

OMG.

As I said earlier, these were very small cannons, with a bore of maybe a couple inches. I have never dealt with artillery in person before, and I guess I was sort of expecting a small boom. I suspect that’s what everybody else except maybe the SFs expected.

What we got was a lightning bolt from Thor. If you’ve ever been very close to a lightning strike, you know what makes a CRACK that you feel in your heart. That’s what this was.

Since I was in the back, I could see the entire crowd of 200+ people standing at attention simultaneously jump straight up about 2 inches. We could hear car alarms on and off base going off blocks away. I think the only reason I didn’t laugh out loud is because I was completely startled as well. Everyone was dismissed immediately after the flag was presented, and they were all walking around with big eyes talking about how loud that little bitty cannon was.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Every time we had some kind of ceremony. I was tagged to run it or help out. Everyone believes if you have a Drill Sergeant Badge you are an expert on everything Drill and Ceremony.
    So at a funeral using the all-purpose flag the Union would go... :D

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    left shoulder and head make sure that it is unfolded in the triangle fashion.
    That will help you in refolding it. Every flag presented has to be placed on the casket and refolded. Use the slow salute when presenting it to the family.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    To quote Kelly: "you may have heard this before".

Wife was an Air Force officer (RN) at Mather AFB. The CO retired and they had a fly-by from Beale, an SR-71, really cool. Only problem was he was going a tad too fast...like broke the sound barrier low over the ceremony. We had an apartment just off the front gate and it knocked things off the wall and every car alarm for a half mile around went off. Talking to a pilot later he said the pilot had an unhappy visit with his CO.

My mom had 7 brothers, all vets of WW2 or Korea. Each had a firing squad at their funeral. Every time the squad would quietly march out BEHIND the attendees and fire the salute. It always scared the crap out of the crowd. I mean screaming and crying from some of the women. I was a pall bearer at several and standing facing everyone I could see what was going to happen and tried to warn people. :dunno:

Don

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom