• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I bought some from a fellow INGOer about 3 months ago for $50. He had shot less than 200 of them. My 4 yr old Grandson has been a happy shooter. INGO people ROCK

It think you got them from me! I am glad they worked out for you. I did not want them to go to a flipper. Hell I could have flipped them my self but money isn't everything. Sadly my health has not allow me the chance to waste much ammo :-( Hopefully next year!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Accessories - yes
    New firearms - 75% of the time.

When I buy a firearm, I usually find one used and buy it FTF from the seller. Cut out the middle man and get a decent deal.

I'm not saying that any gun store is Gods gift to the firearms world. Sure Midwest has its pros and coins. I just don't think its fair to crap all over them for trying to run a successful business and make a buck in the process.

I am definitely not "Crapping all over them" I have spent about $4,000 there just this year. I have bought three new guns, accessories and ammo from them. They give me a great discounts there on guns and accessories but when I can buy a bucket o Bullets from Midway for $59 plus shipping I know that $140 is over priced and I told the Mgr so. I wasn't rude I just let him know. I am a VIP member at the gun range so I know them all at Elkhart and most of them in Mishawaka.

I prefer to shop local but I draw the line at double the price. So if anybody wants to pay $140 for a $59 bucket O Bullets then buy away.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It think you got them from me! I am glad they worked out for you. I did not want them to go to a flipper. Hell I could have flipped them my self but money isn't everything. Sadly my health has not allow me the chance to waste much ammo :-( Hopefully next year!

I did get them from you and my 4 yr old Grandson has had a blast this summer thanks to you. You are a stand up guy.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    What is "ripping people off" to you?

Do you know what the typical margin rate is for most retail items? How about net margin rates after expenses - especially for small retail businesses?
    So, does that mean every other gun shop is selling at a loss. I don't think I so? They just are no longer competitive in today's market or that has been my experiments with them. I see them at the Indy 1500 and they are typically one of the highest vendors there. I wonder if going is even worth their time? Not sure what vine they do their, but their table isn't as. Hey as it has been in years past.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Great deals to be had at Midwest Gun Exchange but understandably, not on everything in the store. I believe all this hoopla started because of the $140 price tag on the bucket of bullets. In this instance I'd say they can keep the stock room full of them buckets.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    What is "ripping people off" to you?

Do you know what the typical margin rate is for most retail items? How about net margin rates after expenses - especially for small retail businesses?

Well I suppose I might know as I started in the retail business at the age of 13 at our local hardware store here in northern Indiana. That was back in 1956. We were one of the first stores purchasing goods from what is now HWI/Do It Best Hardware, and I was doing the purchasing for the hardware at the ripe old age of 14.

I also was Merchandising Manager for parts & accessories for the largest RV manufacture in the 70's & 80's.

My wife and I later had our own successful retail business for 20 years which we retired from, I might add at the old age of 58. Think you'll retire at 58?

Ya, I know a little about the retail industry, both the purchasing end and the selling end, along with the mark up part in the middle!

I'll also add, I've purchased/ordered new Corvettes which each model year is usually always sold out and never paid full sticker price.

Yup! I know rip off dealers when I see them or deal with them. I also know honest folks when I do business with them and how they treat their customers.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Well I suppose I might know as I started in the retail business at the age of 13 at our local hardware store here in northern Indiana. That was back in 1956. We were one of the first stores purchasing goods from what is now HWI/Do It Best Hardware, and I was doing the purchasing for the hardware at the ripe old age of 14.

I also was Merchandising Manager for parts & accessories for the largest RV manufacture in the 70's & 80's.

My wife and I later had our own successful retail business for 20 years which we retired from, I might add at the old age of 58. Think you'll retire at 58?

Ya, I know a little about the retail industry, both the purchasing end and the selling end, along with the mark up part in the middle!

I'll also add, I've purchased/ordered new Corvettes which each model year is usually always sold out and never paid full sticker price.

Yup! I know rip off dealers when I see them or deal with them. I also know honest folks when I do business with them and how they treat their customers.
    Congrats on being successful. I am as well and understand the fine line between making profit and being labeled as "not competitive" in the marketplace. No need for the attack dog to come out.

Most of the Do It Best stores I've been to have MUCH higher prices than Menards or HD. Fact. Would you not agree?

I know there's a niche for them as they usually do fine in the smaller areas they serve.

Why is it ok for my PVC elbow to be 40% higher at the True Value vs Menards but it not be ok to always get the bottom dollar on whatever gun or ammo at this shop vs wherever you choose is the "fair" place?

Please take this as a business question vs a personal attack as that is not how I meant it. I just find it funny how someone making more profit than you think they should make = dishonest.

Maybe they're getting these "overpriced" items through a secondary distributor (ie: one more layer of mark up to) but do so so that their customers can at least get SOMETHING vs not being able to buy it at all? I don't know... But that "honest" word just doesn't belong in that conversation unless they truly swindled someone. If their only sin was to try to sell something for a higher price than others then most places would be "dishonest" some of the time.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Why is it ok for my PVC elbow to be 40% higher at the True Value vs Menards

Have no idea as I never dealed with True Value.

HWI does their own purchasing and when I was in the business much of the volume items I purchased direct from the factory, this included Nails, bolts, other fastners, most all hinges from National Hardware, google it, paint, and painting supplies, also pipe and pipe fittings, most other hardware items such as tools, housewares etc were purchased from the HWI warehouse.

Regarding the RV business most everything if not all was purchased direct from the manufacturer, easy to do when one is a fortune 500 company.

When it came to our own business, I applied my former experience in purchasing and bought factory and importer direct. Those that wished/refused to sell me direct I just ignored.

As stated I retired at 58, I'm now 70, it was quite a run and very enjoyable.

I should add the hardware business was much different in the 50's & 60's & 70's than it is today.

Plus people have no idea what pricing is at the wholesale and import level. Wife sold thousands of dollars of jewelry that L.S. Aryes was selling for $15.00 to $30.00 a set of earing's, I was buying direct from the importer same exact item for less than $ 1.00 a pair, of course I had to buy in bulk quanties of 100 gross per shipment.

Last edited:

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wow. So people actually will pay an arm and a leg for .22 ammo. $0.10 is not an acceptable price for lower tier rimfire rounds. I bought 100 Minimags from gander mtn (gasp!) for less than $.10/round without waiting in a line about 3 weeks ago. You're perpetuating the inflated prices if you keep paying $55/brick. Cars cost more because they gradually got there through inflation, increased material cost, and increased features. The only reason ammo prices are still high is because enough people will pay $50 for $25 worth of goods.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Wow. So people actually will pay an arm and a leg for .22 ammo. $0.10 is not an acceptable price for lower tier rimfire rounds. I bought 100 Minimags from gander mtn (gasp!) for less than $.10/round without waiting in a line about 3 weeks ago. You're perpetuating the inflated prices if you keep paying $55/brick. Cars cost more because they gradually got there through inflation, increased material cost, and increased features. The only reason ammo prices are still high is because enough people will pay $50 for $25 worth of goods.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End

And only because in many cases the private individuals buy up all available stock and set themselves up as false retailers with no retail license and are nothing more than scalpers and gougers. I realize this is very hard for many to understand, but the misconception is very clear as these threads continue.

As I said before, WalMart did not become the largest retailer in the history of the world by taking advantage of people in regards to the cost of goods.

As far as vehicles and their price goes, do some research as to the manufactures profit margins, you might be amazed at the figures.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And only because in many cases the private individuals buy up all available stock and set themselves up as false retailers with no retail license and are nothing more than scalpers and gougers. I realize this is very hard for many to understand, but the misconception is very clear as these threads continue.

As I said before, WalMart did not become the largest retailer in the history of the world by taking advantage of people in regards to the cost of goods.

As far as vehicles and their price goes, do some research as to the manufactures profit margins, you might be amazed at the figures.

Those private individuals will only buy and resell as long as there is a healthy profit to be made. The tactic will turn from gouging into a smart business move. Ex. If everyone was willing to pay 100% more for bacon, i would gladly buy it all up and resell it.

Auto manufacturer net margins steadily decreased from the high teens in the 70-80s to between 2% and 8% now. I don't see the correlation. One took 40 years, the other took 40 minutes.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Those private individuals will only buy and resell as long as there is a healthy profit to be made.

Or until they get caught operating an underground, blackmarket, retail business.

Percent of profit for a Chevy Pickup runs approx. 10%.

The correlation is that virtually no one pays sticker price for a new car, even those that the manufactures total production is sold out a year ahead of time. Sticker price of course being MSRP.

Last edited:

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    that is high, i guess they have to make money. and i dont know what they paid for them... they might be the only one in town that has them, i hate to bash peoples business habits. but do agree that is high. ive seen worse else where though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom