Microsoft gives notice of impending pink slips with style (apply purple)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It seems that ~12,500 people had it brought to their attention in a rather long and tedious memo largely rambling about corporate strategy that they need to get busy polishing their resumes, preparing to apply for unemployment, having yard sales, and cutting expenses. You would think Bill could afford better help than this!Microsoft Lays Off Thousands With Bad Memo -- NYMag

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, not gonna get me to feel TOO 'concerned' about a couple thousand millionaires getting laid off, LOL...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I think it's the "New" corporate America across the board. The place I work at used to be more of a local branch of a larger organization. Thru several large changes over the past 3-4 years they've realized the power they wield if they start running the business as a whole corporation rather than several local branches of a large organization. People with many, many years with the company lament the passing of "the good old days" but in todays world the company will do what it has to do to survive. In our case it includes economy of scale, streamlining, reducing duplicate services, etc. Even with strong nudgings from our director a few years ago on what we needed to do to better prepare ourselves on a personal level to help insulate ourselves somewhat from the coming carnage, many chose to ignore the warnings. They now cry foul because "nobody told us this was coming". Sorry for their luck but I have to watch out for me and mine.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I could have saved him a lot of time. Just say "I am a complete douche...but at least I still have a job. You, not so much.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    At least at their next interview they can say they are proficient in windows office. "Yes sir, I developed it"

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't worry, you can bet that laying off all those employees won't stop Microsoft's push for getting more H1B's approved.

I guess I'm slipping. That hadn't yet crossed my mind. No doubt you are correct--after all, they could probably get 25,000 new employees for 2/3 the cost of the ones getting pink-slipped.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    At least at their next interview they can say they are proficient in windows office. "Yes sir, I developed it"

It's phones where the bulk of the layoffs are.

Used to be corporate execs had balls to tell employees up front they're being ****canned. Now its almost implied through innuendo.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Are those the guys responsible for Windows 8? If so, the move is a step in the right direction.

No. I think it's mostly Nokia people.

It's the standard thing. Buy a company to acquire rights to competing products. Lay off the people who built the competing product and market your own products as the replacement.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No. I think it's mostly Nokia people.

It's the standard thing. Buy a company to acquire rights to competing products. Lay off the people who built the competing product and market your own products as the replacement.

Tap your sarcasm meter...I think it's a little sticky this morning. :laugh:

Top Bottom