• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Don't take this wrong way,, BUT shoot that one 200 rds at each practice session!!!
    Don't worry your pretty little head, I will. Don't take this the wrong way, but I actually use my carry guns regularly and I don't consider 15 rounds fired every couple of weeks (or months) "use". :)

I fired 200 rounds yesterday and 100 again today. It has now moved up to primary pocket carry, which supplements my primary carry which is usually a 1911 (300 rounds fired today).

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I don't know if this thread is still alive but just in case.

I own a Micro Eagle. Before that I had an LCP and could not warm up to it - too light and small for the given caliber. Shooting it was like racing a small car with heavy torque steer. You try to control it, and it wants to break free. I found the Eagle a more agreeable and steady shooter. I am not at all against plastic, you just need steel as a counterweight to the bullet energy! It is also interesting mechanically, with two parallel mainsprings, tilting barrel, and a gas-bleed port, with excellent fit and finish. On the Ruger LCP you can peekaboo between the slide and the frame. It has its merits, no doubt, just not a fun shooter, didn't nudge me "hey let's blow some ammo" like the Eagle does. As a footnote, the Eagle is not well fit for a laser sight or any attachments, but there is a Crimson Trace snap-on laser for the LCP. If you have already found your pocket companion, have fun with it, no matter what name.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The Kahr P380 is so much more comfortable to shoot than the Kel-Tec, Ruger, and Taurus pocket pistols that I've shot that it's really hard to believe. Ammo cost is the limiting factor to practicing, not discomfort.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The Kahr P380 is so much more comfortable to shoot than the Kel-Tec, Ruger, and Taurus pocket pistols that I've shot that it's really hard to believe. Ammo cost is the limiting factor to practicing, not discomfort.
    Does it field strip with no tools? In how many pieces before cleaning, if you don't mind?

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I read somewhere there used to be an aphorism in Detroit: You want your car cheap, fast, and great. You can only have two.
    You want your pocket gun small, mighty, and fun. You can have two.

Last edited:

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    +1 for Sig 230. I have a SS version with Hogue grove grips and actually enjoy shooting it. It is Sig accurate. .380 ammo is sometimes difficult to find though.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Does it field strip with no tools? In how many pieces before cleaning, if you don't mind?

There's a video on Kahr's site that shows a screwdriver (!) being used to remove the slide stop. I've been able to simply remove it by hand on both the Kahr pistols I've owned. Strips to mag, frame, slide, barrel, guide rod, recoil springs (2), and slide stop. Very simple and fast to strip, clean/lube, and reassemble.

I think, in general, that Kahr designs and builds great pistols... Expensive, but worth it.

Last edited:

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    you know I haven't found a pocket sized pistol yet but I think I may actually end up with a p239. I recently purchased my first sig, a p226 sct and a couple flush fit mags. I have enjoyed that one and the price of the 9mm ammo much more so than my old 1911 and its 45 acp. Now all that said I do not mind a little larger gun for carry and I can actually hide the p226 without much effort but something with a full grip and short barrel in 9 mm is next on my list. still think the p239 is my next handgun purchase.

merkava1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The Kahr seems like a solid pocket companion. Just a fraction longer than my Eagle but lighter. I haven't seen either one used in resale, ever. Can't go wrong with a Sig. It is pretty, too, but calls for a holster. It is interesting that you mentioned a long grip/short barrel 9 mm. I can't name one such semi-auto in existence.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Although not really a pocket gun, have you looked at the Bersa 380? They are very accurate and nice to shoot. With the price well under $300, they are a great deal!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Since this thread is heating up again, I will suggest the Taurus 709 Slim. I recognize it is a polymer pistol and not the preferred design. However, it is small and fits well in the pocket. It has a manual safety, which I think wise for a pocket carry. It is 9mm, so ammo is reasonable and available. It does have a high axis, and it is small; but I put 250 rounds through it last Saturday with no problems to my hand, wrist or arm. The kick was negligible, and I was able to keep it on target for the double pops during my practice. It did tend to shoot high and left, but my shooting partners claim that is just my poor aim. I replied that when I aimed low & right, I put most my hits in the bulls eye or the first ring outside it (call it a five-inch spread at ten yards). The second rounds of the double pops were within the rings, but on the outer rims. Bottom line, I was able to put every round int he body of a BG at ten yards, even the second round of a double pop (I know, more training needed!), and I was not punished by the recoil for shooting 250 rounds in a one-hour session.

I think this merits some consideration as an alternative for the Micro Desert Eagle or other .380s. It is your call, OP. Just thought I would offer a viable alternative. More information leads to wiser choices. Good luck.

BTW, I am a non-military, non-LEO ordinary guy trying to prepare for a world far more dangerous than it used to be. My input is just the experience of an ordinary guy learning what works for him. My shooting accuracy is that of a rookie civilian. If I can hold that 709 on target, others with more experience will certainly be able to do so.

Top Bottom