• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never seen a gun go bang in the ER. The hospital in the town I work for does get rigs, on occasion, from Gary EMS and Calumet Township EMS and our FD does back up Gary.

I've had patients that didn't receive a pat down who later were found to have items that they shouldn't have (knives, drugs, etc). Needless to say I wasn't happy.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Anyway, add that to the fact that most people in the medical community judge guns by seeing the aftermath (while getting no story to go with it) and generally they are terrified of guns, as another poster mentioned.
    I work for an Ambulance service and 99% of the employees are pro-gun, at least half of those have an LTCH. We go shooting in large groups with nurses and doctors from our local ER's. I would say it depends more on location, than anything

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    They are "owned" by IU, now .....

Not exactly. They used to be Clarian Health Partners - IU, Methodist, Riley Hospitals. Clarian changed their name (rebranded) to get out from under the stigma of the Heparin malpractice thing a few years ago. They are ( I guess) on par with other hospital systems like Mayo, M.D. Anderson etc. and needed distance from the Heparin thing to be able to move around with those guys. Can't have any scandals clinging to your name.

The I.U. Med Center is still part of I.U., but many of the other parts of the I.U. complex come under the I.U. (formerly Clarian) Health Partners which is a for profit. They are not "owned" by I.U.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Wonder if it's enough for Methodist to be a verboten location according to the new law? :n00b:

The signs on the doors went so far as to say that the prohibition covers everyone except on-duty LEO and IU Health security personnel. They don't even want off duty LEO to carry whilst on property... Ain't that nice of 'em.

Good news is: my dad should be discharged today at some point.

-J-

That IS good news.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That IS good news.

Agreed...and thanks.

I got a call about 2:45 Monday afternoon as they were on their way back home.

Turns out his issues were caused by a drug interaction (immuno-suppressants & anti-rejection meds); which was the initial thoughts.

He has another round of blood work today to see if things are better still.

-J-

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    Trauma centers tend to not like weapons. I saw two large knives on patients yesterday at our place. Nice guys though.

Does IU "own" Methodist or is it a strategic partnership?

That's a set up...

IU Health is an "Alliance". It presents a "unified" or "single" front for health care. I'm not sure how best to, **cough single payer**, say it.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Met my ol lady at St Vincents in Noblestucky exit 10 last thursday with Mr. Glock-27 and his kid sparemag on me, didn't see anything posted, she got both boobs squashed like pita bread during the yearly mamagramma thing, and I was left sitting there wondering why "I "had to meet here there after work instead of going straight home(first time she ever went there I guess, as insurance sponsor I got to play lifeguard, we usualy used Community North and she went by herself, but NOOOOO, this time I had to go to).
    nice place, in and out in about a half hour, didn't hurt me a bit.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Several years ago I noticed such a sign while I wandered about for the duration of a relative's heart catherization. I had been in Methodist several hours and was carrying an MK9 concealed when I first noticed it. I just went about my business.........

There are advantages to concealed carry.:cool:

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I worked in the Methodist EMTC for 20 years. There was one week we had 2 ADs within 3 days of each other. One round went through the wall and zipped by a kids head as he was getting a breathing treatment. The other put a big hole in the ground. I have seen ganbangers come in with sawed off shotguns under a coat to finish the job. I tackled a guy with a gun who came in past several people with a gun tucked in the front of his pants, walked by everyone and was coming in to shoot his 6 year old daughter who He was sexually assaulting before she could tell us anything, Unfortunately it is like the smoke and mirrors of airport security. If they really want no guns they need to have security and metal detectors at every entrance vs. all the good guys leaving they guns in the car and all the bad guys just ignoring the sign and carrying any way. The first place I want all good guys to have guns is the ED because all the bad guys have them. The EMTC now has a dog in the department. I think people in the hood are more afraid of dogs than guns so it is working out well. So CC and keep your mouth shut about it.

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    I'm curious how those ND's occur, is it a security guard trying to unload a weapon found on a patient or people playing show and tell with their carry pieces.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Had my mom in 86th St Vincent a couple of weeks ago. They do have a small sign at the entrance, stating also that they reserve the right to inspect "suspicious packages". I joked to my son I'd better not look like too suspicious a package. Concealed is concealed. No weapon is dangerous; only, potentially, the person holding it. I'm not one of the dangerous ones.

Hehe I have left Methodist one more time than I've entered it. I don't know whether they have a secured psych ward, but I'm pretty sure all the psych stuff at St V is in a separate building (wife, um, visited there for a while). But once again, I can't claim to be the expert.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm curious how those ND's occur, is it a security guard trying to unload a weapon found on a patient or people playing show and tell with their carry pieces.

Both were people carrying without a holster in their pockets. 1 dropped and one "just went off" neither pistol were of the highest quality.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Sorry, I have no choice, I'm on a mission from God.
    /
    25p379e.jpg

Top Bottom