• ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Savage Range Systems

I'm looking at some steel from Savage sytems, They are the only company that really advertises as Range quality. They claim to be in a sweet spot harder than ar500

The bobcat product we bought for the club didn't hold up at all, not buying again

Just as an innocent bystander, I am also interested, because my brother and I were present, with Bobcat Steel, and My brother shot AR500, with an 8mm Mauser, and it holds up just fine ..... :twocents:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    As for any comments about Bobcat I don't to air that laundry,

1.gif

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    After comparing the Sparten to other targets I realized that the damage I was seeing was far more superficial that first thought. Since the original post several hundred more rounds have hit it. And there is no pock marks as a result of the additional rounds.

I'll have better data next year after the brands of steel that I ordered have been shot for a year.

I have a right to not like a product, and not blast out a bunch of trash talk a company, I made the choice to not buy, I tried to express my opinion without getting nasty but thats not your way of doing things is it.

I've backed up my decision with $4000 worth of purchases.

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    After comparing the Sparten to other targets I realized that the damage I was seeing was far more superficial that first thought. Since the original post several hundred more rounds have hit it. And there is no pock marks as a result of the additional rounds.

I'll have better data next year after the brands of steel that I ordered have been shot for a year.

I have a right to not like a product, and not blast out a bunch of trash talk a company, I made the choice to not buy, I tried to express my opinion without getting nasty but thats not your way of doing things is it.

Where did I get "nasty"? I asked for a clarification as you promoted the product here but didnt seem to like it in your other post. If that is somehow as you say getting nasty I am sorry you feel that way as it wasnt my intention.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

You absolutely have the right to not like a product. I think most folks were looking for why you don't like it more than questioning your intentions. I think if folks are going to put weight in your opinion they have the right to ask how you came to that conclusion. If you don't have a reason for being at that conclusion, or experience with all the products I think folks have the right to know that as well so they know to put less weight in your opinion.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I have some experience with steel targets. I am part owner of several Bobcat Steel targets which we purchased in Novemeber of 2011. They have been used a lot, many times as often as twice a week. We have a dueling tree, a Auto Reset Torsion Popper and a couple of walkers.

No product is perfect. Yes we have had issues with Bobcat steel targets. The dueling tree has had six broken paddles. No we have not fired calibers larger than recommended. Yes the AR500 has held up. They broke on the pivot. Bobcat has been very good at replacing broken parts.

My Auto Reset Torsion Popper has held up well. Mostly hit with pistol calibers. I have seen one that has been left on a club range, Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club, where the mount has broken. Can't say what it was hit with, probably everything as it was mounted at 100 yards. My Torsion Popper has needed to have bolts tightened in the past. Perhaps the range target did not get that maintenance, don't know if that would make the difference.

I did break one of the walkers, however I ran over that with my truck, hardly a warranty issue.

Bobcat has informed me they are working on redesigning the dueling tree to address the broken pivot issue. They have replaced the broken ones and re-welded the old paddles as well.

The AR500 targets hold up well. I expect if there is any issues with any manufacturer it will be the mounts.

Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have some experience with steel targets. I am part owner of several Bobcat Steel targets which we purchased in Novemeber of 2011. They have been used a lot, many times as often as twice a week. We have a dueling tree, a Auto Reset Torsion Popper and a couple of walkers.

No product is perfect. Yes we have had issues with Bobcat steel targets. The dueling tree has had six broken paddles. No we have not fired calibers larger than recommended. Yes the AR500 has held up. They broke on the pivot. Bobcat has been very good at replacing broken parts.

My Auto Reset Torsion Popper has held up well. Mostly hit with pistol calibers. I have seen one that has been left on a club range, Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club, where the mount has broken. Can't say what it was hit with, probably everything as it was mounted at 100 yards. My Torsion Popper has needed to have bolts tightened in the past. Perhaps the range target did not get that maintenance, don't know if that would make the difference.

I did break one of the walkers, however I ran over that with my truck, hardly a warranty issue.

Bobcat has informed me they are working on redesigning the dueling tree to address the broken pivot issue. They have replaced the broken ones and re-welded the old paddles as well.

The AR500 targets hold up well. I expect if there is any issues with any manufacturer it will be the mounts.

That's for sure. My popup target is holding up very well, but the bolts aren't AR500 so when they get shot they break.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    - FWIW -

Has there been an offered explanation how the Bobcat Steel targets from Hoosier Hills Rifle & Pistol Club haven't held up?

I'm not sure of what happened to cause the bad blood between x10 / HHRP (my club) and Bobcat Steel. I've only been a member around a year and that was before my time...

I will state that x10 doesn't speak for everyone that I know at the club. I've only been shooting Bobcat Steel for the last year with FNS and at my various friend's properties. I do own a four paddle tree from Bobcat that I'll be allowing HHRP to use for the club's monthly steel matches, which start the second Monday of May and go thru Sept. I'll know more about how my tree endures after a few more hundred rounds of various pistol calibers make their marks.

I'm not wanting to overstep my bounds, nor wear out my welcome in my own local club, so I'll stop there. :twocents:

Top Bottom