Mechanics: What's the best way to clean out a Fuel Tank?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    I wouldn't worry about it. Put on a good fuel filter. If the filter clogs quickly then you may want to clean it out, otherwise why waste time and money if it may not be a real problem.

Mercedes already have a couple of inline fuel filters anyway.

BTW, if it runs and you want to get rid of it. :)

I'm looking forward to taking it apart and seeing the workings of it. I'll chalk up the money / time spent as a valuable learning experience if it was an overkill but I'd rather err on the side of caution at this point and enjoy tinkering and learning about something new.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thank you all for the help.
    Cleaning/repairing Fuel system and Brake system is on the top of my list.

I'm ordering Fuel system components (filters, hoses etc) this weekend and thinking about ordering from DieselGiant.com (has anyone done business with them before?). My aim is to clean or replace and detail each part (nut, bolt, component) as I move through system.

The wheels and rotors are removed today. A ton of rust made this difficult. I'm going to see if Monroe Mufflers and Brakes will resurface the rotors next week. New pads are needed. The calipers just look scary rusted and unsure if I can clean them up or if I need to order new ones.

If anyone is interested in this project I can update as progress is made with photos etc.

Otherwise I anticipate giving Redi Strip Indy the Fuel tank for cleaning and sealing after I pull it this week.

Thanks again for the knowledge and insight from everyone.:patriot:

A lot of times is is just as cheap to replace the rotors as it is to resurface them.... or cheap enough for the rotors that it is not worth it. Older calipers tend to be pretty cheap, chances are the seals in them are bad or not looking good. Id also bleed the brakes.

Personally on the tank I would pull it and slosh some good fuel in it and drain it, replace the filter and see how it does....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom