• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    Welcome to this forum and I wish you all the best. Understand that you are responsible for your safety in this situation and always. It's good that you're asking for advice and the above suggestions are excellent so far.

To add to it, I'd recommend you read "Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker. This book can help you prepare for this situation and others like it. Gavin does provide some insight on restraining orders...they can be good...and bad.

Stay aware, prepare, be strong, and good on you for pursuing the knowledge.
    I love good book suggestions, thank you!

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    I assume you're not cohabitating anymore, based on the court order, so that's a good first step. Seek out a class at Parabellum, as others have said. I believe they have ladies' classes, and there is a Shoot Point Blank near you as well, although I'd consider them a second choice.

You do need to address the repetitive stolen handgun situation by learning about better storage options, which should be covered in a home defense class. I'm not one to push anyone farther than they're comfortable going, given that you've only fired 1 bullet, but given that you are in an endangered situation based on the individual's multiple past history, you are a case where I'd definitely recommend following up the home defense class with a carry class. They can help bring you to a comfort level of having the gun always on you (on-body, non-purse carry - hopefully the instructors will explain why "in a purse" is not quite good enough). This not only addresses the protection aspect, but also hopefully the (assumed) problem with having the gun stolen from your vehicle or residence while un-attended. You and the gun really need to be together, meaning pretty much always. You being with the gun keeps "it" from being stolen...it being with you hopefully keeps "you" from getting stolen.

Wow, epic first post. Welcome to INGO. Hoping things start going in a better direction...(maybe Vegas will give you a refund ;)).
    Lol hey there's at least a pending annulment on the marriage in Vegas that he paid for so I'll take that as a refund!

I didn't want to keep the guns with me without my LTCH because of the legal issues it could present. I kept them both hidden and out of kids reach.. the first one I'm certain he took it before I moved in with him. I started panicking looking for it as I was packing to move and he looked at me and said "usually when someone steals from you it's someone you know"

He's in jail currently for violating probation but he has made comments to other people about his plans on raping and murdering me. Not comforting at all. He's gone off the wall schizo crazy, talking to voices in his head and threatening to go on a rampage of "killing bitches" ... the mother of his kids sent me voice clips of him that she used to get a protection order for herself.

Thank you for the tips and support! I'll be practicing this week so me and my boys are safe :)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Lol hey there's at least a pending annulment on the marriage in Vegas that he paid for so I'll take that as a refund!

I didn't want to keep the guns with me without my LTCH because of the legal issues it could present. I kept them both hidden and out of kids reach.. the first one I'm certain he took it before I moved in with him. I started panicking looking for it as I was packing to move and he looked at me and said "usually when someone steals from you it's someone you know"

He's in jail currently for violating probation but he has made comments to other people about his plans on raping and murdering me. Not comforting at all. He's gone off the wall schizo crazy, talking to voices in his head and threatening to go on a rampage of "killing bitches" ... the mother of his kids sent me voice clips of him that she used to get a protection order for herself.

Thank you for the tips and support! I'll be practicing this week so me and my boys are safe :)
    Oh wow. That is really unnerving. Hopefully there will be others along who can offer advice more specific to your situation. Be sure to make use of all resources available to you from a legal perspective, restrict the kids' use of social media carefully, forget the family members and get real training asap. The list of things that "fixes" people like that is unfortunately quite short. The good news is, once you make valuable contacts with people in the self-defense training community, your knowledge and options tends to increase.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Can I suggest a large breed dog as well as a firearm and training. Get the dog some training and you'll have years of excellent protection on command. I haven't had a dog trained for a long time it use to be around $1500 but I imagine it's much higher than that now.

Edit: This will give you an idea how much it cost. Last time I had a dog trained was about 28 years ago iirc. I had a bunch of children around then and had my 140lb Rottweiler trained for their protection.

Last edited:

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    Can I suggest a large breed dog as well as a firearm and training. Get the dog some training and you'll have years of excellent protection on command. I haven't had a dog trained for a long time it use to be around $1500 but I imagine it's much higher than that now.

Edit: This will give you an idea how much it cost. Last time I had a dog trained was about 28 years ago iirc. I had a bunch of children around then and had my 140lb Rottweiler trained for their protection.

My great dane passed away in March sadly. I got a German shepherd on Friday. He's 14 weeks old, my boys named him Fuzzy :) I'm working with him on training, I'm good at training basic commands, this weekend I've been watching some videos on training him for protection. Wish me luck!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My great dane passed away in March sadly. I got a German shepherd on Friday. He's 14 weeks old, my boys named him Fuzzy :) I'm working with him on training, I'm good at training basic commands, this weekend I've been watching some videos on training him for protection. Wish me luck!
    That is a perfect dog for personal protection training. He'll need to have basic training before you send him to personal protection training. It can get costly but in the end it's worth 10+ years of quality protection for the family.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, please tell me he is in jail in Hendricks County and not Marion County.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a weird suggestion. Maybe use an anonamous picture for posting to hide ID.
    This. So much this.

And def get you and the kids off all social media and make sure your friends and family know not to tag you in stuff and at stuff.

Remember the rules of a divorce.

Delete social media.
    Lawyer up.
    Hit the gym.
    And in this case hit the range.

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dane.
    I'm sitting here next to Ròise my 50% great Dane and 50% Irish wolfhound. I'll give her a hug for you

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's not weird, I was already thinking about editing it so I'm not so easily identified here. Thank you!
    The odds of him finding you here with no real name to reference via google is HIGHLY unlikely.

It wouldnt hurt to change the pic, but I wouldnt be too concerned.

Now if you had used your real name as your username, its another story. Or if this is a username he knows you have used on other websites, then definitely change your pic. And if this is a recycled username, PM an admin and they can help you change your username. Its normally not done, but in extreme circumstances they make exceptions and allow it. Or delete your account to allow you to recreate a new one with no ties to the original username. (another exception, but probably allowable with no more posts than you have)

@Bigtanker is one of the mods that can help if you need it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and as to the LTCH, you can possess them on private property without a LTCH. Or transport them unloaded with ammo stored separately. Yeah, I know its too little too late, but at least now you know.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    1) Welcome!

2) I would invest in a good home security system with cameras. I know its not a gun or dog but itll give you a heads up before someone is at your/your kids bedside and most of them alert the police.

3) Training classes at wherever you choose to go.

4) Cheap carry gun that your comfortable with for on the go. Second gun with a light to stage in a bug in spot. I use my master bath, if my alarm goes off Mrs.BRC grabs the pups (2 Goldens are useless as guard dogs lol) and locks herself in while i deal with the problem.

5) Practice. Practice shooting, drawing, dry fire, and bugging in with your kids and dog.

Also i wouldnt worry to much about him finding you here. Even he does find you and reach out, our mods are the best and will squash him on the spot, just let one know. I could be wrong but i think they can block him by IP address also.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

Prepare to vacuum until you die. You're in for a treat though. Here's a pic of our 2 knuckleheads (both female). Couldn't ask for better guardians/companions for my girls.

1629082938590.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1) Welcome!

2) I would invest in a good home security system with cameras. I know its not a gun or dog but itll give you a heads up before someone is at your/your kids bedside and most of them alert the police.

3) Training classes at wherever you choose to go.

4) Cheap carry gun that your comfortable with for on the go. Second gun with a light to stage in a bug in spot. I use my master bath, if my alarm goes off Mrs.BRC grabs the pups (2 Goldens are useless as guard dogs lol) and locks herself in while i deal with the problem.

5) Practice. Practice shooting, drawing, dry fire, and bugging in with your kids and dog.

Also i wouldnt worry to much about him finding you here. Even he does find you and reach out, our mods are the best and will squash him on the spot, just let one know. I could be wrong but i think they can block him by IP address also.
    Also. A good home system will do 80 plus hours of recording before a reset. You can opt for more time but catching folks on camera is just to sweet.

Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    This. So much this.

And def get you and the kids off all social media and make sure your friends and family know not to tag you in stuff and at stuff.

Remember the rules of a divorce.

Delete social media.
    Lawyer up.
    Hit the gym.
    And in this case hit the range.

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dane.
    I'm sitting here next to Ròise my 50% great Dane and 50% Irish wolfhound. I'll give her a hug for you
    On it! Thank you! Aw I bet she's a big sweetheart, I've always wanted an Irish wolfhound too :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom