• ...and so much more!
  • pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    Just inherited this from my father, who got it from his father from Germany during WWII. Spent about 2 hours cleaning and getting everything functional. Put 50 rounds through it (shoots low and left) and decided I wanted to learn more about it. I posted it on the Luger forum and was overwhelmed with helpful/ knowledge people. I ended up being able to verify that it is a 1941 Mauser byf "Early Black Widow" Luger. I was able to match every marking minus the Locking Bolt Takedown Lever, which is a replica or from another gun in that era. I'm on the hunt to find a #10 stamped takedown lever to make it 100% complete but I thought some other may enjoy looking at it. It is dirty in the pictures as I just got back from the range when I decided to post it to learn more.
    IMG_20230901_072945614_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_072959146_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_073022547_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_073039356_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_073640366_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_073801284_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_073606191_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_072902452_HDR.jpgIMG_20230901_073620913_HDR.jpgIMG_20230831_133707003.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont see the dreaded eagle rollmark. Are you sure its a 41? I would assume it would be earlier or much later since it doesnt have that on it.

Not an expert by any means. Just knew that between '37 and '45 those bastages put that evil logo on everything.

2cveh8.jpg

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    Eagles all over, the guy stamping really wanted his boss to know he was working. I believe the cursive Z was for November.

IMG_20230901_073010365_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    OK, I didnt notice any in your first round of pics.
    No worries. I don't know if you call a group of eagles a flock but there is a bunch of them stamped on it. I was surprised that every piece is stamped with the last 2 of the serial, or a eagle, or something else. You don't see that anymore.

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    Beautiful! Great close ups, and pictures!! Would love to hear the full story about your grand fathers acquiring it.
    The story was that he was a tank crewman (I think that's what they called them) in WWII, and his battalion followed General Patton through Europe. He was not with General Patton though. My grandfather "acquired" this Luger at that time. No details on how. When he was returning home he was given a official letter that stated he was allowed to return with this and 8 other guns and that only a two star General and up could take them from him. My father still has this official letter. My grandfather gave the guns to other family members but kept this one. My dad said that he remembers my grandfather and his brother shot it once in Florida in the 70's, then it was put in a box in the closet until the mid-80's when he passed and it went to my dad. My dad kept it in the box and eventually it went to a gun safe. He showed it to me once or twice as a kid but he never shot it. At the end of this June '23, it somehow came up and I asked about it. He went and pulled it out of the safe and I tried to cycle it. Everything was stuck so we spent about 2 hours de-gunking it and finally got it to cycle. On July 4th he was finally able to fire it a few times, legally of course. He passed it to me about 2 weeks ago and I deep cleaned it, took it to the range, and fired it about 50 times.
    Not the most incredible story, I doubt we'll see a movie about it, but I do enjoy having something that he possessed. The plan is to baby it and eventually pass it down to my oldest.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The story was that he was a tank crewman (I think that's what they called them) in WWII, and his battalion followed General Patton through Europe. He was not with General Patton though. My grandfather "acquired" this Luger at that time. No details on how. When he was returning home he was given a official letter that stated he was allowed to return with this and 8 other guns and that only a two star General and up could take them from him. My father still has this official letter. My grandfather gave the guns to other family members but kept this one. My dad said that he remembers my grandfather and his brother shot it once in Florida in the 70's, then it was put in a box in the closet until the mid-80's when he passed and it went to my dad. My dad kept it in the box and eventually it went to a gun safe. He showed it to me once or twice as a kid but he never shot it. At the end of this June '23, it somehow came up and I asked about it. He went and pulled it out of the safe and I tried to cycle it. Everything was stuck so we spent about 2 hours de-gunking it and finally got it to cycle. On July 4th he was finally able to fire it a few times, legally of course. He passed it to me about 2 weeks ago and I deep cleaned it, took it to the range, and fired it about 50 times.
    Not the most incredible story, I doubt we'll see a movie about it, but I do enjoy having something that he possessed. The plan is to baby it and eventually pass it down to my oldest.
    Its a priceless story in my eyes. And how you see it is all that matters.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They would all be typed out with serial numbers and descriptions of each. That piece of paper with the pistol will increase the value around $1000. Try to make sure they both stay together.

That is a nice outfit you have. Ask the pros how to conserve the holster. That leather is dry and in need of help to last the generations.

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    They would all be typed out with serial numbers and descriptions of each. That piece of paper with the pistol will increase the value around $1000. Try to make sure they both stay together.

That is a nice outfit you have. Ask the pros how to conserve the holster. That leather is dry and in need of help to last the generations.
    Good to know. I have no plans on ever selling it but I appreciate the information.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Still an awesome story, what little you know, That is one priceless heirloom... One usually sees something like that in a museum, the fact that you shoot it, is even cooler!

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    Still an awesome story, what little you know, That is one priceless heirloom... One usually sees something like that in a museum, the fact that you shoot it, is even cooler!
    I thought so, currently 3 generations of my family has shot it. My son(s) will make the 4th. The guys on the Luger forum were more than willing to let me know that shooting it wasn't a good idea but to each their own.

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers

I took your advice and 90 minutes later, here is the reconditioned holster. Still has the wear and tear but looks much better and should actually last.
    IMG_20230908_215820107.jpg

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    Your Luger looks to be a really nice one, and I love that you have some information about where it came from. I‘m also lucky enough to have some war guns in my family. Each such gun has a story to tell, and we are both fortunate to be caretakers of such interesting pieces of history. Thank you again for sharing!

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As a Luger fan I love everything about this thread, and thank you for sharing the bring back story. The Black Widow looks to be in excellent shape btw.

pewpewINpewpew

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Fishers
    As a Luger fan I love everything about this thread, and thank you for sharing the bring back story. The Black Widow looks to be in excellent shape btw.
    Thank you. I've enjoyed learning about it. It is much cleaner than in the pictures now, oiled up, and resting safely in one of my safes.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom