• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm a proud owner of a JM stamped marlin 1894ss in .44mag. It quickly earned it's spot as my fav. gun to shoot from my collection. I have no complaints about it, but I am wondering what an action job would make it feel like? I have never shot a levergun with an action job. What's the approximate cost of such, and how much benefit would I see? I use it for both paper and whitetails.

While we are talking mods, the trigger seems fine but if we have the polishing wheels out, should I give the trigger some love too?

Any recs on where to take it for said work? The bradis folks have been nice the few times I have been in there.

BTW, I'm new here-be easy on me.

Let's hear your thoughts INGO!

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I would just shoot it and the action will smooth up unless it is extremely rough.

I do put a Wild West Happy Trigger in mine. Gets rid of the Marlin trigger flop and improves pull weight and creep. It is not cheap but you can do that yourself.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I completely agree on the Wild West trigger. I installed one in my JM Marlin .357 cowboy and it made a tremendous improvement. You won't be disappointed. Look one up on the Midwayusa website and read the reviews.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    First if it is just a little rough around the edges rent Your favorite cowboy action movie and sit down and work the action over and over.

The Wild West trigger is a wonderful upgrade but mine broke just over 4 pounds so I did not need it. The tube followermade of aluminum is a good upgrade and the bear proof ejector is worthwhile also once again mine did not need them.

If you can tell where the rough edges are you can polish the internals. Do not I repeat do not change any angles just polish off and smooth out the internals. Marlin owners web site will have a well written out sticky on it in the 1894 section. If you were going full cowboy action you could do more but if the deer stand and range is the main thing then you will be fine. My oldest 1894 marlin is the smoothest and it has the most battle scars and the most use by far. Slicker than astro glide.

Top Bottom