• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Jack Burton said:
    Apples and oranges. Absolutely no valid comparison between the two. There has never been a "right" to walk around spreading an infectious disease in any society that I am aware of. Perhaps you can name one.

You may not have a 'right' to walk around spreading an infectious disease, but you do have a right to walk around...don't you?

Just like you don't have a 'right' to walk around shooting people, but you do have a right to walk around while carrying a handgun...don't you?

If you carry your handgun responsibly and don't harm people, should we infringe upon your rights?

If you are ill and go about your life responsibly and are cautious not to infect others, should we infringe upon your rights?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You cannot deny employment to them based on any knowlege of HIV even if you are looking to fill a position handling food or patients with serious health problems.

Really? I'm not being facetious in my questions, I really don't know. I tried to Google it, but everything I got was overseas, like the UK and Australia. Is it not treated like a disability, where there must be a bonafide requirement for the handicap to not allow the person to do the job with reasonable accommodation? I mean, you can refuse to hire a deaf person to be a cop because being able to hear is a true job requirement, but you couldn't refuse to hire them for a computer programming job if they could otherwise do the tasks. Seems like working around people with compromised immune systems would rule them out.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Since no one said that "involuntary confinement solved all of the TB problems" I don't see much of a point in this post.

Yeah, you did.

Jack Burton said:
    Let's see. Society, in its collective wisdom, managed to solve in several decades a problem that had been the bane of mankind for thousands of years. As a consequence millions of lives have been saved since then. Steve, here, says his "solution" trumps everything known about the spread and defense against infection diseases learned the hard way over those thousands of years.

The only thing I've objected to is involuntary confinement. From what I've read, most TB confinement took place voluntarily and these voluntary methods are what helped stop the spread of the disease.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    [/B]

You may not have a 'right' to walk around spreading an infectious disease, but you do have a right to walk around...don't you?

Just like you don't have a 'right' to walk around shooting people, but you do have a right to walk around while carrying a handgun...don't you?

If you carry your handgun responsibly and don't harm people, should we infringe upon your rights?

If you are ill and go about your life responsibly and are cautious not to infect others, should we infringe upon your rights?

I'll let you continue to beclown yourself with silly comparisons.

But know that you are pretty much marginalized on this issue...kinda like those who believe that OJ is innocent. Society disagreed with you in the past, it disagrees with you now, and it will in the future when lives are at stake.

Keep on the soapbox if you want. The truth is no one really cares.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Yeah, you did.

The only thing I've objected to is involuntary confinement. From what I've read, most TB confinement took place voluntarily and these voluntary methods are what helped stop the spread of the disease.

It took a combination of the two. Again, because of my family history I do know a little about the subject. Yes, many were there voluntarily, but by far, not everyone in a sanatorium was there by willful choice... and if they had been let free to roam about the entire program would have been at risk.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

Source for what? That there were many there who were not voluntary? Why would laws be passed allowing and demanding it if not used? And my father's dear first wife who actually had the experience of being (and dying) in one instead of just talking about it and who passed down her stories.

And if you want to claim that a quarantine is effective when a substantial number of those needing to be quarantined are free to roam around then go for it.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Society disagrees with me?

Well, *#&$. Does anyone know how to tie a noose?

I don't think you can hang all those who disagree with you but you can certainly give it a try, I suppose. But in the end, as I noted, you are holding a marginal hand that no one really cares about. Society will do what it will to protect itself, and your voice (and reason) just isn't righteousness enough to overcome the concept of self defense.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    You're right. Society will abandon all sorts of liberties in a vain attempt to protect itself.

Sooner or later it may be some liberties that you care about.

I'm glad to be marginalized in this society of chickens afraid of their own unregulated shadows.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Source for what? That there were many there who were not voluntary? Why would laws be passed allowing and demanding it if not used? And my father's dear first wife who actually had the experience of being (and dying) in one instead of just talking about it and who passed down her stories.

And if you want to claim that a quarantine is effective when a substantial number of those needing to be quarantined are free to roam around then go for it.
    Bzzzzz. Does not compute. The existence if a law does not reflect on the frequency it comes into play in society. The question was a request for you to cite your source for the claim that a higher percentage of confinements were involuntary rather than voluntary.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Bzzzzz. Does not compute. The existence if a law does not reflect on the frequency it comes into play in society. The question was a request for you to cite your source for the claim that a higher percentage of confinements were involuntary rather than voluntary.

Since I never made that claim then why do you suppose I have to verify it?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    You're right. Society will abandon all sorts of liberties in a vain attempt to protect itself.

Sooner or later it may be some liberties that you care about.

I'm glad to be marginalized in this society of chickens afraid of their own unregulated shadows.

Hmmmmm..... we managed to get through the TB scourge without the doom and gloom you are predicting. I would say history is on my side on this one.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Stop running in circles and answer the question.

Was forced confinement necessary in order to stop the spread of TB?

How many people were forcefully confined? How many people did so voluntarily?

You keep claiming to have 'history' on your side. Back it up.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here is a little history...Just a general background...Starts off with Canada...Louisville had a huge TB Hospital (as any ghost hunter that watches sci fi should know)..

TB diagnosis once meant a lonely confinement Patients sent hundreds of miles from home to recover from illness | Windspeaker - AMMSA: Indigenous news, issues and culture.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here is a little background on Louisvilles famous Sanatoreum...There may be some background information on the history of how patients were confined....

Waverly Hills | One of the Scariest Places on Earth!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

I already answered if you can't read. YES, forcible detention was necessary to stop the spread of TB. That is why the provision existed as part of law.

I have no idea how many people were forcible detained and it makes no difference in whether or not it was acceptable from your point of view. You are not going to come back and say that 11 percent was acceptable and 15 percent becomes over the line. Whether is was 1 percent or 95 percent is unacceptable to you so whatever the number is is immaterial.

But again, your point is moot since society has already written off your point of view. Which is why both federal and state laws allow forced confinement under certain circumstances for those who have deadly communicable diseases.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Jack Burton said:
    I already answered if you can't read. YES, forcible detention was necessary to stop the spread of TB. That is why the provision existed as part of law.

I have no idea how many people were forcible detained and it makes no difference in whether or not it was acceptable from your point of view. You are not going to come back and say that 11 percent was acceptable and 15 percent becomes over the line. Whether is was 1 percent or 95 percent is unacceptable to you so whatever the number is is immaterial.

I don't know how else to say this.

You're advocating forced confinement because you claim that it was necessary to stop the spread of TB.

I want you to back it up. How do you know that it was necessary?

I asked you how many people were forcibly confined because that would give us an idea of whether or not it was necessary. If 95% of quarantined people were there voluntarily then you really can't make the claim that involuntary confinement is what stopped the TB epidemic.

Top Bottom