Magpul Glock 19 mag durability & reliability for IDPA.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm thinking about trying out IDPA next year and will start out with either my Glock 19 or M&P Pro, probably the Glock. I like to have a minimum of 10 mags for every carry gun we own, right now I'm slightly above that for each. I'm thinking about some of the Magpul Glock 19 mags to save wear & tear on my factory mags.

My question is how durable & reliable are these mags? Do they have any problems when dropped in sand? How about hitting a concrete floor several times? Can I use my spare standard Glock springs & followers in them? Any other strange things about them I should know?

I'll probably get 10-12 of these to start out with. Right now I can get them for $15 shipped compared to $22 (minimum) plus shipping. That adds up when getting a dozen at a time. I'm looking to place an order or two before the election to avoid the CTD effect. If there is any upcoming legislation I want to make sure I keep my factory mags in good condition since they may have to last me God knows how long.

Thoughts?

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I've never had any issues with them but I use factory for matches and carry. I use the magpuls for range. I did see someone bring his new magpuls to a match and had issues every stage with just those mags. BTW i believe you can find them cheaper.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldnt sweat using your factory mags to play games with. You are dropping them on the ground, not burying them in muck and running them over with a deuce and a half.

I run factory mags and nary a malfunction and they arent worse for the wear by being dropped 3' onto gravel. I wouldnt hesitate to put any of my competition mags into my carry gun. (I use limiters in my game mags so I dont accidentally top them off)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I was happy with the Magpul mags at first. Now out of the 10 I have, only the 2 I use for dry practice still work reliably. It starts with causing double feeds and then moves into the follower getting stuck in a down position and dropping rounds. No more for me. Factory Glock is all I will be using.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I ordered just one last night to give it a try, at least I'll know for sure how it works out. With free shipping it's no great loss if it doesn't work well. I'll run several hundred rounds through it and use it throughout the winter to check it out. If I have any problems then I'll just stick with factory mags.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You're getting into competition. Reliability is king above all else in the practical shooting sports. Spend the extra $7 per mag for something you KNOW works. If you want to get a couple cheap ones for dryfire or reloading practice, go for it. But an extra $7/mag is nothing when you factor in match entry fees, travel costs, ammo, other competition gear like holsters and mag pouches, etc.

-rvb

Farm1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Elletsville
    I haven't had any issues with my magpuls.. Had a buddy that did he sent them back to magpul and they replaced them all. If I remember right there were a few that got out in the beginning that had some issues..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom