• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I just noticed that the base plates of my Kahr CM9 mags are magnetized. I'm sure this is probably a silly question, but why? Are they supposed to be this way? I don't remember enough about high school science class to know what I may have done to cause it if they are not. :D

They are original Kahr stainless mags. Anyone else seeing this? How about you PM9 owners? I believe they are using the same mags as the CM9's.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How powerful of a magnet are you talking about?
    If you can stick fully loaded mags on your fridge that's could be a good thing. :D

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I presume they're magnetized strongly enough that things stick to them, or you wouldn't have noticed. Stainless is not usually magnetic, though there are some alloys that are. Is this causing a problem for you?

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    How powerful of a magnet are you talking about?
    If you can stick fully loaded mags on your fridge that's could be a good thing. :D

Funny! :):

It's not that bad. I just happened to grab both of them with one hand and noticed a slight resistance when I separated them. It's pretty light. Maybe it's from the static electricity generated by the dryer lint in my pocket! :dunno:

Last edited:

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I presume they're magnetized strongly enough that things stick to them, or you wouldn't have noticed. Stainless is not usually magnetic, though there are some alloys that are. Is this causing a problem for you?

No problems. Just curiosity. Nothing has stuck to them. It's only the bases that will stick. Strange...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Mine aren't magnetized. Can't see any functional benefit/reason for it, so it would appear that they were just exposed to something.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I notice it the most when I hold the "rims" or edges of the formed base plates together. Really don't notice much at all if I hold them butt to butt or anywhere else on the mag for that matter.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Mine aren't magnetized. Can't see any functional benefit/reason for it, so it would appear that they were just exposed to something.

I can see many good reasons to have magnetized magazines! :rolleyes:

You could stick a magazine underneath a metal table or chair, you could even store them on the door of your safe, inside your car, stick one to a key ring to have an extra magazine always handy.
    If you have a metal plate on your skull you can even have some extra mags on your head, put a hat on top of them and that's a great concealed method of carry.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I notice it the most when I hold the "rims" or edges of the formed base plates together. Really don't notice much at all if I hold them butt to butt or anywhere else on the mag for that matter.

Maybe you have some special powers and you can magnetize other stuff.
    Have you been into an electric generator lately? :dunno:

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    There are many types of stainless steel, but two common types are 300 series and 400 series. 300 series stainless steel (e.g. 304 or 316) has an austenitic structure and is not magnetic. This is due to the Ni content in the stainless. It is very corrosion resistant, but it is also very soft (easy to scratch). The alloying additives make this type of stainless very expensive, so it is typically only used where the extra corrosion resistance is needed.

The other main type of stainless steel is 400 series (e.g. 410 and 420) and this type is ferretic (similar to regular carbon steel). 400 series is attracted to a magnetic field and it can become magnetized. It can contain C and be very hard. This type of stainless is used for knive blades and watches where the higher hardness helps protect it from wear. I assume this is also the type of stainless that is used on gun components (and would explain the magnetic attraction you describe). If it is a problem you may be able to degauss the magazines.:cheers:

tmusall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    I've got 2 six round mags and both are magnetic. Often wondered why as well. Might try my old cassette tape head demagnetizer on them. It should work I think.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Machining metal can sometimes impart a magnetism. Most machine shops keep a degaussing unit to remove it. Do the bases look machined? As mentioned, most stainless alloys aren't magnetic, but some are.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Machining metal can sometimes impart a magnetism. Most machine shops keep a degaussing unit to remove it. Do the bases look machined? As mentioned, most stainless alloys aren't magnetic, but some are.

The base plates don't appear to be machined. If I were guessing I would say that both the mag body and base plate are run off die (hard) tooling. Looks like it may have been run through a vibratory deburring operations as well due to the mottled finish of the mag body.

The magnetism isn't hurting anything. It's not powerful enough to pick-up much. I had the CM9 for a couple of months before I even noticed it. I just happened to grab both mags at the same time in one hand. Actually, nothing has ever stuck to either of the two 6 round mags I have. This thread was created out of curiosity rather than issue. Thanks for the reply :yesway:

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Mags are not Stainless

Hi Folks,
    I purchased a PM9, new, recently. I had some questions about the action, so I called Kahr. It took a while but I finally got through to them.
    The Technician had no idea why the mags are magnetic, as mine are too. A factory engineer was in his office so I was put on hold.
    Bottom line, Kahr switched from Stainless, not sure when, to STEEL! I was told point blank, pun intended, they are now made out of steel. Very magnetic.
    My other question was, for those wondering, If I popped the Magazine in with the heel of my hand, the 1st round would load, and the slide would release. This is contrary to the instructions, but is to be expected according to Kahr, and HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED BY KAHR. I guess it wouldn't void the warranty, but it is not a practice one should have for the P or C/M9's.
    I was told it could break some of the internal parts of the receiver.
    Other than that I find my Kahr a nice shooter.
    Very happy on the first 100 rounds.
    :ar15:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom