• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I did just read about the large amount of parts interchangeability between the SCAR and AR, so it may be a good choice. :)

The is a fine SHTF weapon. I wouldn't hesitate to grab one.

Kimbertrace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And, what are the weapons that Special Ops forces are buying? Do they really not like the M4? Or, are they a bunch of gun enthusiasts with an almost unlimited budget that can outfit their arsenals as much as they want? I would, if I could.
    quote]

I believe they are going with the FN SCAR. Already available for civilians, but quite pricey.

My best friend is in the special forces. They are using the m4's...The SCAR is used, but only on required missions. When the SCAR is used, they are only carrying 1 per unit.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    When Pat Rogers has various tier 1 AR platforms with 20,000-50,000 rounds through them with out cleaning, but lubricating them properly, I see these studies and reports as fishy. They seem to surface anytime another company is trying to get the military to buy their rifles. You must also remember that this report originally came out over a year ago, however it is front line news with the AP. What is their agenda?

One should question the type of lube, if any, used on the weapons, experience of the trigger puller with the platform (M4 and SAW) and if SOP were followed with the weapons. Additionally several errors in the report have been pointed out on other forums

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i personally didnt have much faith in my m4. i cleaned it religiously, but there were times towards the end of missions i just knew if something happened that thing would not carry me through. there were times where we had about 20m of visibility due to sand, and that rifle would be caked. i had it jam on the range plenty of times. that was after a cleaning and fresh out of my room. i dont think any weapon is 100%. especially in that hell hole. but there have to be some that are better. personally, i wish they would have let me dismount a 240b and hump that around.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have talked with someone that was actually a special forces member a few years back, he has acatually " done work" so to speak and his weapon of choice was an MP5 with a surpressor, he has made shots at over 200 yards with it, not sure hat his weapon of choice would have been in such a situation though.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So, if our rifles are experiencing this, what are the bad guys using? AKs? Other? Or do they have the same problems and AP just isn't reporting them?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well the bad guys are probably using AK's and other combloc weapons.

As to the AP reports, I doubt they have many embedded reporters with the Taliban actively keeping tabs on weapons failures.;)

WarParty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hibernia area
    I would not buy an AR15 after my experiences with the M16 in the military.
    They have had problems since day one in the 60's.
    I finally gave in and built a POF lower and purchased a POF upper.
    Big difference than the old P.O.S. M16
    The gas piston is the way to go.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    problems caused by **** poor training (telling soldiers not to clean them), and rushing them into service.

I've already posted problems with gas piston AR systems.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    problems caused by **** poor training (telling soldiers not to clean them), and rushing them into service.

I've already posted problems with gas piston AR systems.

I think a major downside to piston guns is their weight. Automatically, right out the gate, the rifle weighs more. Another issue that I have experienced; and, some will with other piston/non DI-AR guns too, is the actually proprietary 'small things'. For instance, I can't run a Redi-mag system on my XCR; and to me, that would be an awesome addition to it. (for example)

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    The AR platform (including the M4) needs TLC. I can't wait till the SCAR replaces it. The gas system will make it a lot easier to maintain. With dust and oil on your bolt after mags and mags and mags in a firefight they do not perform like they would if you were there with a squirt bottle of CLP. After living in the dirt in some OP your weapons sort of "get the funk". You keep a weapon in those conditions for the better part of a year and then run it through a "stress test".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom