• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    A few years ago, a buddy of mine was going through some things that had belonged to his grandfather after the old man died. Buried back in the attic of the house they were about to sell, they found a trunk with some assorted militaria. There was an M2 Carbine bound in a greasy cloth. The belief was that it must have been a Korean War bring-back and the old man had covered it with some oil and locked it away. Towards the end of his life, senility was bad and he was very confused. No one seems to have known anything about the gun.

My buddy looked around and talked to a lawyer, hypothetically, wink, wink-type. He had to destroy the entire weapon. Barrel diced, receiver melted, nothing left, all because there's no such thing as a "legal" non-registered, undiscovered fully automatic weapon.

I don't think it's right. It was incredibly unfortunate and such a waste. Never mind the money they could have had from selling the weapon, it is a historical piece, and those M2s are a lot of fun to shoot. No possibility for amnesty to register it, just the threat of 10 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

Thoughts?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Too bad--I would have just changed out the trigger group for an M1 and at least had a semi auto to shoot.

Steve

Wouldn't have mattered, legally speaking...

Conventionally speaking, yes, it would've solved the problem.

Until, of course, that gun ends up at another dealer for a transfer of some kind.

-J-

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    How about turning it over to a museum? Isn't there a provision for that?

I'm pretty sure not. It must be surrendered to der BATF. I think that it can be done without being charged, but who the hell wants them to get any BS credit for taking guns off the streets.

I understand about not telling anyone, but really, what's the point? In case of emergency? I suppose, but it's just a damn risk.

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    There were a number that were converted to m2 configuration some were not stamped. If it stamped as an M-2 above the breach, then it is contraband. The receiver is contraband, it must be demilled. There are lots of m2 trigger housings, slides on M1s. You cannot have the M-2 pivot arm, disconnector, hammer, sear, selector switch, etc on the weapon

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I saw the same thing happen a few years ago. The ATF came to the home and took a grease gun. A couple of days later they came back handed him the gun for a keeps sake. The ATF had filled the barrel with lead and had taken the hammer out of it, and filed down the feed ramp. He still has the gun as a gift from his grandfather. I was told the ATF guy was a pleasure to deal with and understood why he wanted to keep it.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I saw the same thing happen a few years ago. The ATF came to the home and took a grease gun. A couple of days later they came back handed him the gun for a keeps sake. The ATF had filled the barrel with lead and had taken the hammer out of it, and filed down the feed ramp. He still has the gun as a gift from his grandfather. I was told the ATF guy was a pleasure to deal with and understood why he wanted to keep it.

He wanted to keep it because it is his Constitutional right to do so.

When the time comes, and I really do worry that it will, what does everyone think "they" will be carrying when they order us to surrender our weapons? It happened in New Orleans after Katrina and it took several days for Constitutional attorneys to pursue the matter. All it took was the order from Blanco, and the cops stormed the place in full riot gear. This Class III nonsense is a sore-spot for me because so what if we have semi-AKs and ARs. Unless you can afford fully automatic (the taxes, not the cost of the gun) and go through the process of registration, you're all but helpless.

Don't get me wrong, a Sten or an M2, or an old grease gun won't tip the scales when there's an Apache or the like over your house, but they will make a difference. I feel that Class IIIs are the ultimate violation, it's like requesting permission from the government to one day defend yourself from the government.

Am I wrong?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I was younger I knew several WWII Vets that had various bring backs. Some were pretty cool, MP38, MP40, Sten, Thompson, etc. They all must have had the same training b/c they were always wrapped in oily rags and stashed in the attic! Wonder what ever happened to all that stuff......

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    When I was younger I knew several WWII Vets that had various bring backs. Some were pretty cool, MP38, MP40, Sten, Thompson, etc. They all must have had the same training b/c they were always wrapped in oily rags and stashed in the attic! Wonder what ever happened to all that stuff......

It's an interesting topic, because you're right, there must be thousands of them just waiting on the family estate to be sold.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    He wanted to keep it because it is his Constitutional right to do so.

When the time comes, and I really do worry that it will, what does everyone think "they" will be carrying when they order us to surrender our weapons? It happened in New Orleans after Katrina and it took several days for Constitutional attorneys to pursue the matter. All it took was the order from Blanco, and the cops stormed the place in full riot gear. This Class III nonsense is a sore-spot for me because so what if we have semi-AKs and ARs. Unless you can afford fully automatic (the taxes, not the cost of the gun) and go through the process of registration, you're all but helpless.

Don't get me wrong, a Sten or an M2, or an old grease gun won't tip the scales when there's an Apache or the like over your house, but they will make a difference. I feel that Class IIIs are the ultimate violation, it's like requesting permission from the government to one day defend yourself from the government.

Am I wrong?

Tread carefully. :twocents:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think it's a shame that the parts were destroyed. My understanding of the law is that torching the receiver in a specific way and destroying the full auto fire control parts is all that is necessary. New receiver from CMP and you've got yourself a legit firearm.

I've been wrong before, though.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Another sad thing is that obama-messiah just came out and said that a certain building has to be allowed to be built in New York City because of the first amendment says something about religious freedom. If that is the case, then ATF should have no problem because I am sure obama-messiah will allow you to keep that rifle based on the amendment after the first, that says our rights shall not be infringed.

I wish you had enough money to fight this and be able to not only keep a part of US history, but more important your family's legacy.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I wish you had enough money to fight this and be able to not only keep a part of US history, but more important your family's legacy.

My buddy's family...If I were fortunate enough to find an old machine gun, well, let's just say "he ain't me."

Top Bottom