• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    I have purchased several things from the online ads here. I have made a fair offer on many more, and many times I have received a polite decline, or a reasonable counteroffer. It shows the seller knows what the prices are for these new, and is willing to deal. There have been other times though where the price of a new item can be found to be less at several different "brick and mortar" or online stores, even (in the case of online) with shippng and transfer fees.

The ones that kill me are the ads that have been there for months, and keep getting bumped to the top, time and time again. What part of "your price is too high" is the seller not getting?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A bit long, but this post is one of the most sensible, common-sense posts on this topic I've read here on INGO. :yesway:

Everyone thinks their junk is "worth" more, but when it's time for that same person to buy something from someone else, they want to "steal" it for cheap. Hypocrisy at its best....

When I sell something used- no matter what it is or how good of condition it's in, I usually list at 50%-60% less of what the going price of new is at the time, then work down from there. The seller gets a fair deal on a good, used item and I get what I think is a fair used price. We both win and we're both happy.

No sense in "gouging" someone...just post a fair price and be done with it. Get over one's-self and your "special" gun or whatever.

My two worthless $:twocents:...
    Wow, 50 to 60% less than new no matter what it is and you go down from there.

So in other words a used Glock in really good shape that goes for $500 new you would be asking $250 or less?

Looks like you don't need anyone else to lowball you. :dunno:

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    If you think lowballers on INGO are bad try selling items on Gunbroker! I had a LIKE NEW Ruger P90/P97 magazine for sale at $23. Below is an email I received from a prospective buyer.

"Have you tried to load 8 rounds in the magazine. The magazines that I have with the black plastic follower will only allow you to load 7 rounds. For 8 rounds the follower has to be metal. I would give you 15.00 for the magazine....."

I love it when they say "GIVE YOU" like they're doing you a favor. I don't mind a little haggling but come on.

Granted he was right about it only holding 7 rounds but IMHO that still didn't diminish the value by 1/3. Two days later it sold to a repeat customer at full price.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Wow, I never really thought that much about it. If you had a firearm for sale for 400 and I offered you 350 or some such heinous crime, I'm sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities.

Sometimes I see something for sale in the classifieds and I think, "it's not worth $Y to me, but it's worth $X to me". So, I go and offer $X. Sometimes the seller accepts, sometimes they do not. I honestly never once considered that the sellers who refused were sitting at home all bent out of shape because they had been "lowballed".

I guess all I can offer in addition to my apologies is the suggestion that the next time this happens to you, you go directly to the police station (do not change your clothes or bathe/shower) and let them take a kit for evidence.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    On the flip side of that coin, there's guys asking more than retail for guns in the classified right now. Something is only worth what people will pay. This week I have seen a 10/22 with an aftermarket stock for $900, a WASR ak with aftermarket parts for close to a grand, and a couple handguns I have bought NEW for about $50 less than what they're asking.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    On the flip side of that coin, there's guys asking more than retail for guns in the classified right now. Something is only worth what people will pay. This week I have seen a 10/22 with an aftermarket stock for $900, a WASR ak with aftermarket parts for close to a grand, and a couple handguns I have bought NEW for about $50 less than what they're asking.

I'm not going to say which one, but I suspect one of those adds is a subtle joke.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I think there might be a block feature on here but the mods control our thoughts and words so never used it...if u get a lowball offer then block them or tell them yes and u will meet in mishiwaka and tell them you found a lower offer that would meet closer when they complain...of course i am joking for that one guy out there

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Wow, 50 to 60% less than new no matter what it is and you go down from there.

So in other words a used Glock in really good shape that goes for $500 new you would be asking $250 or less?

Looks like you don't need anyone else to lowball you. :dunno:
    Not really, because when I list something for sale at 50% of the new going rate, I usually don't have to haggle with the person forever, (if at all) because the thing sells quickly. I know it's a more-than-fair listing price and so does the seller, which= fast sale and everyone is happy.

Just because I or anyone else owns something that has thousands of copies just like it out there or in production, doesn't mean my or anyone else's junk is better than the next guy's to command a "higher price"... I'm not greedy on the re-sale of anything, as I figure the cost difference between what I originally paid for it and what I'm selling it for is the price of admission for using the item, etc.

Heck, I often spend on one meal eating out with my family, what most cry on this board about having to spend or the difference on what they want to spend for something. Anything <$100 is beans in these day's money if you really think about it...

Obviously, most of my personal buying/selling rules doesn't apply to a rare antique, a speciality item, a limited production product or what-have-you, because it's then priced to what the buyer and I are willing to settle on.

I usually sell everything I list within days, if not hours, because I'm realistic on what the damn thing's worth. If it doesn't sell within a few days, I agressively lower the price to be more attractive to a greater share of the buying demographic. However, the lower the price is from the original listing, the firmer and less willing I am to budge from the new marked-down price.

It's simple marketing really and if everyone would just put yourself in the shoes of the buyer, instead of thinking your junk is something great, you'll sell your stuff quickly and fairly, where everyone is happy...:)

But then again, I know nothing... However, I did just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

Carry on... :popcorn:

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    To each his own I guess. The market is what will ultimately determine what a fair price will be.

I'm not gonna be unrealistic and set a ridiculously high price but on the other hand i'm not just gonna give stuff away either.

When I list something for sale it is always sold as a loss. That's part of the game and I understand that.

The only thing that governs my rock bottom price is how much of a loss i'm willing to live with.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    To each his own I guess. The market is what will ultimately determine what is a fair price.

I'm not gonna be unrealistic and set a ridiculously high price but on the other hand i'm not just gonna give stuff away either.

When I list something for sale it is always sold as a loss. That's part of the game and I understand that.

The only thing that governs my rock bottom price is how much of a loss i'm willing to live with.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your accounting. If you use something and get enjoyment out of it while you have it, you can attach a "value" to it. If you keep some things long enough(guns for instance), often you can sell for more than you paid for it. (For example, I would not sell my S&W 617 for the $340 I paid for it when I bought it and I would bet there would be people lining up to buy it for much more than that!)

I don't sell firearms, but I sell a lot of other stuff and I lose money too. I bought a mountain bike once for $1200, rode it a few times and sold it for $850. I tend to move from hobby to hobby and I don't "collect" things so when I'm done with the hobby, I sell the stuff and use the money to fund my next hobby.

By far though, I lose the most money on cars! I just sold a Miata for $4000 that I have two full winters of my labor and over $7000 in and I only put 10,000 miles on it while I owned it. Ouch!:(

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    To each his own I guess. The market is what will ultimately determine what a fair price will be.

Pretty much sums it up pretty good. :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends on your accounting. If you use something and get enjoyment out of it while you have it, you can attach a "value" to it. If you keep some things long enough(guns for instance), often you can sell for more than you paid for it. (For example, I would not sell my S&W 617 for the $340 I paid for it when I bought it and I would bet there would be people lining up to buy it for much more than that!)

I don't sell firearms, but I sell a lot of other stuff and I lose money too. I bought a mountain bike once for $1200, rode it a few times and sold it for $850. I tend to move from hobby to hobby and I don't "collect" things so when I'm done with the hobby, I sell the stuff and use the money to fund my next hobby.

By far though, I lose the most money on cars! I just sold a Miata for $4000 that I have two full winters of my labor and over $7000 in and I only put 10,000 miles on it while I owned it. Ouch!:(
    Well, you are correct. I should'nt say always but a great majority of the time.

There have been a couple of items where I did okay but by no means were they considered to be a get rich profit.

Those were mutual transactions that I felt good about and the buyer was happy to pay and felt it was a reasonable price compared to what others were asking for similar items but those kinda deals don't come along very often and I'm not looking to gouge anyone in the process.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County

Treated me fairly on the Gold Dot!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Never thought this thread would go this many pages. I've managed to avoid it to date but every time I see the thread title pop back up onto the first page I think of the long-ball Larry episode from Curb Your Enthusiasm (lowballin users vs longballin users..which is how my brain keeps reading it) Plenty of other good clips out there...just tried to pick one that was moderately safe for work

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaY9ewvpzk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Researching used prices and condition is a drag. Hours looking at online auctions (with bids) and other site prices. Five minutes to write ad tells all.

Couldn't ignore this thread any longer. Lots of good advise on pricing.

Can't tell you the number of times at gun shows have seen dirty, dirty, dirty firearms for sale.

Top Bottom