• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What is your pistol caliber? I have a Hi-Point 995 9mm carbine to go along with my 9mm pistol. Hi-Points can be bought for around 200 bucks.

A nice inexpensive 22 LR is a Marlin model 60, but nobody wants one because of the fixed tube magazine (14 rounds I think) vs Rugers detachable mags of various rouds. Marlin 60's can be bought between $80-$120.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    hawkenpicturenewenhancedforweb.jpg

I have access to a ML very close to this. My mother and Father each made one when i was a kid. not about to carry the heavy beasts. lol

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Mike you are right about the slugs. I just need to buy a slug barrel for it and i think those are around 100 last time i checked. not a big deal.

Blackhawk you are right about the urban setting. My wife and i were discussing that last night. A 22 and the shotgun would work great for us where we are now. In time i plan to get a larger caliber due to a plan of if SHTF we are trekking to a relative with land in TN.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mike you are right about the slugs. I just need to buy a slug barrel for it and i think those are around 100 last time i checked. not a big deal.QUOTE]

Actually with the Rifled slugs, you don't need to buy a slug barrel. I use an IC choke and life is grand. That is the point in these types of slugs, they expand and have their own rifling for accuracy purposes. But once again, I wouldn't trust it out past 100yrds.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you think a shotgun will be adequate for your needs, I suggest you have two of them; one for you and one for your wife. I haven't been in a pawn shop in a long time, but I bought my first shotgun from a pawn shop in 1999 (yes, I was getting ready for Y2K) and paid a lot less for it than I would have at Dick's or Gander Mountain - had either one been around these parts in those days.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    If you think a shotgun will be adequate for your needs, I suggest you have two of them; one for you and one for your wife. I haven't been in a pawn shop in a long time, but I bought my first shotgun from a pawn shop in 1999 (yes, I was getting ready for Y2K) and paid a lot less for it than I would have at Dick's or Gander Mountain - had either one been around these parts in those days.
    My wife would be able to use the 20 ga . There is a 12 ga at my dad's that i have access to at any time. as well as a bolt action 22 rifle i need to check the condition on. Big thing i need to do now is get ahold of a cylinder choke for my 870. Will be easy to get just gonna be at least a month. picking up my sidearm Friday and not gonna be able to make any more purchases for at least a month sadly.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Unless you have the means to stockpile/haul lots of ammo 20ga might be hard to find in SHTF.
    I have dug gobs of 12ga out the trash at the range...20ga not so much.
    Any semi_auto will prefer jacketed bullets...expensive now, hard to find in SHTF.
    I always suggest a .22 for starters...Learn to shoot it...Appleseed will show you how for not much$$.
    There are advantages to manually operated rifles...they can be reloaded with gas check cast lead bullets..might be a good first centerfire choice. A 30-30 can be loaded very close to factory power with gas-check bullets...
    If you have the means a light caliber semi-auto (.223 ....7.62 x39) is a good option for self defense.
    They're also easier to haul, especially the ammo....

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Unless you have the means to stockpile/haul lots of ammo 20ga might be hard to find in SHTF.
    I have dug gobs of 12ga out the trash at the range...20ga not so much.
    Any semi_auto will prefer jacketed bullets...expensive now, hard to find in SHTF.
    I always suggest a .22 for starters...Learn to shoot it...Appleseed will show you how for not much$$.
    There are advantages to manually operated rifles...they can be reloaded with gas check cast lead bullets..might be a good first centerfire choice. A 30-30 can be loaded very close to factory power with gas-check bullets...
    If you have the means a light caliber semi-auto (.223 ....7.62 x39) is a good option for self defense.
    They're also easier to haul, especially the ammo....
    Not to say that i know everything, I will admit far from it. However 11 years in the military and 4 years as a range coach in the marines I am pretty darn good with marksmanship fundamentals, Just need to get the rifles and get training.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I concur with keeping the 870. And with getting an improved cylinder choke for it. Good ideas. 10/22s, also good ideas. Back to your original post, A Mosin would be a GREAT choice for a medium range rifle on a budget. I'd try to have the 870 and a good .22 first, but you're correct in thinking it'd be good for medium ranges and your most bang for the buck. If you decided to upgrade later, the Mosin probably won't lose a dime of value, and between now and then, at least you have something useful.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Not to say that i know everything, I will admit far from it. However 11 years in the military and 4 years as a range coach in the marines I am pretty darn good with marksmanship fundamentals, Just need to get the rifles and get training.

Not doubting your skills...I was talking about the wife....22 is a good ,low recoil introduction, and Appleseed is a great place to build her interest and skills. A good review for you too, and a fun thing to share! Then introduce her to the 223...and get yourself a good bolt rifle .(30 Cal?). A little advice, family members often take instruction easier from strangers than the people they live with. It saves stress at home...just saying.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Not doubting your skills...I was talking about the wife....22 is a good ,low recoil introduction, and Appleseed is a great place to build her interest and skills. A good review for you too, and a fun thing to share! Then introduce her to the 223...and get yourself a good bolt rifle .(30 Cal?). A little advice, family members often take instruction easier from strangers than the people they live with. It saves stress at home...just saying.

Oh believe me i have thought about that. i will admit to not being the most patient person in the world lol. The bad part is one we can never find a babysitter for even a short time also we are lucky right now to buy ammo let alone pay for some training. gonna have to be a bit of home school for awhile. I will give her a ton of credit though. She bought her SR22 a month ago and wears it around the house and practices her grip and sight picture all day long. That is her own doing not mine.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Wow...can't get my wife to wear her gun...she sounds great. Also ready for more involvement. Just fyi ladies pay only $40. for two days at Appleseed....you will need 400-500 rounds ...so a .22 is a great way to start. They are very patient, never yell( unless you're being patently unsafe), and don't mind if they have to get down in the dirt to give you one on one instruction. She could borrow a rifle, but I understand about the ammo shortage....you could just come along to watch ( probably have to sign a waiver) but I strongly suggest that you sit back and take it all in...let them do their job. You may even get the itch to teach again. I don't know about a better group of true volunteers,or nicer people.

wrnyhuise

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    SW Indianapolis
    Wow...can't get my wife to wear her gun...she sounds great. Also ready for more involvement. Just fyi ladies pay only $40. for two days at Appleseed....you will need 400-500 rounds ...so a .22 is a great way to start. They are very patient, never yell( unless you're being patently unsafe), and don't mind if they have to get down in the dirt to give you one on one instruction. She could borrow a rifle, but I understand about the ammo shortage....you could just come along to watch ( probably have to sign a waiver) but I strongly suggest that you sit back and take it all in...let them do their job. You may even get the itch to teach again. I don't know about a better group of true volunteers,or nicer people.

I will for sure keep my eyes out for an event close enough to get to. We have plenty of ammo for her right now with just shy of 1k 22lr sadly though I only have 350 9mm so far lol. all in good time.

snakeeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Traders Point
    My next rifle purchase is going to be a Ruger American Rifle in .308 because my arsenal lacks very long range capabilities. .308 ammo is widely available, and the round is battle proven.

Top Bottom