Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I took my grandpas advise and tried a Husqvarna gas powered leaf blower when I was in the market two years ago. What a freaking turd. Tuning on that engine was horrible. Did some Google fu and found that it seems like they have cheapened out and went the big box store route over the past few years. The Husqvarna of today is not the Husqvarna of the past. I will no longer even consider a Husqvarna. Took that turd back for a refund and got a Stihl like I should have done in the first place.

On a side note, Lowes was not super excited about me bringing that leaf blower back. I had used it. Kept the receipt, which said "100% satisfaction...guaranteed." They just kept asking me why I was returning it, brought out like three managers. Had to tell them that I was returning it because it was junk and I should have got a Stihl or Echo to start with.

Your first mistake was buying a Husqvarna from lowes, they only sell consumer grade garbage from Husqvarna.

Husqvarna and Stihl both have consumer lines that are intended to compete with other garbage home owner grade equipment.

Echo will be the same great quality no matter where it comes from as long as it sports the 5 year consumer warranty tag.

If you want lawn equipment that will last longer than 2 years and can actually be repaired/rebuilt buy commercial grade Husqvarna or Stihl, or anything echo makes.

By the way Echo was the original string trimmer/blower company.

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    I have a Stihl and the string breaks every few minutes when edgeing along my side walk. The string seems to get wedged under its self inside the head. I have bought what was said to be stronger string from lowes but its not. I hate this machine. But maybe im doing somehting wrong?

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I have a Stihl and the string breaks every few minutes when edgeing along my side walk. The string seems to get wedged under its self inside the head. I have bought what was said to be stronger string from lowes but its not. I hate this machine. But maybe im doing somehting wrong?

Are you getting your string tight on the spool initially?

I have tried a lot of different strings and have the best luck with properly sized for the trimmer smooth string, not the triangle stuff or anything other than round.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I'm on my 2nd Echo. First one lasted for 20+ years, only replaced it to get one that would take a blade attachment. This one is going on 17 years and runs like it was new. I have no experience with Stihl, but have only heard good things about them. You won't go wrong with either one.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Lowes carries consumer grade and professional grade Husqvarna equipment. I never buy consumer grade lawn care equipment. The Husqvarna blower I bought was professional grade, and it was a complete turd.

Husqvarna just isn't what it used to be. They've cheapened everything, even their professional grade stuff.

Stihl's professional grade equipment has been great for me. I haven't used any of Stihl's consumer grade stuff, so I can't comment on it. But my assumption would be that it's made for a low price point and you get what you pay for, which may be adequate for someone that has a small yard in town, but it wouldn't hold up for me.

Your first mistake was buying a Husqvarna from lowes, they only sell consumer grade garbage from Husqvarna.

Husqvarna and Stihl both have consumer lines that are intended to compete with other garbage home owner grade equipment.

Echo will be the same great quality no matter where it comes from as long as it sports the 5 year consumer warranty tag.

If you want lawn equipment that will last longer than 2 years and can actually be repaired/rebuilt buy commercial grade Husqvarna or Stihl, or anything echo makes.

By the way Echo was the original string trimmer/blower company.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Echo/Shindaiwa all the way. Tried out the new Echo battery model and was really surprised at how capable it was. Never thought the cordless model would have enough power or battery life but I was proven wrong.
    Echo is a trimmer/blower company that also makes chainsaws
    Stihl is a chainsaw company that also makes trimmers/blowers

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Echo is the only way to go. Harness is a good idea, but also the smaller curved shaft versions usually make the women happy.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've heard this before. Can't say I disagree. After fondling some Echo trimmers and blowers, I have to say that they seem very nice, and they are very highly regarded on reviews I've read and by the guys around here that sell them and the companies that run them professionally. I'll probably go that route next time I need one. But until one of my Stihl's craps out, which should be a long time, all of my equipment is Stihl.

my Stihl trimmers and blowers seem a little rough around the edges compared to their Echo counterparts that I've fondled. But my Stihl's have been really reliable and run like a raped ape. I've heard the reliability on Echo's is just as good.

Echo is a trimmer/blower company that also makes chainsaws
    Stihl is a chainsaw company that also makes trimmers/blowers

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Here is a vote for the black and decker. But I got the 36v lithium battery model. You keep it in the charger all the time. Lithium battreys like to be fully charged and it doesn't cook them. On my .75 ac property have never come close to running it out of juice. Light, powerful and wife can run it by simply pressing the button. She doesn't have to start the thing, which would be an adventure in itself.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Not sure about weed eaters, but I've seen some smokers hanging around the convenience store. You can probably get them for nothing.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife and I use the Black and Deckers with the 18 volt batteries. Each battery gets about 20 minutes of weed eating. We have the hedge trimmer and the mini chainsaw (yes it works and it's terrific for clearing trails and camping). We have a total of 6 batteries and we use the weed eaters to maintain the trails in our woods. If you get one do NOT use the charger that comes with it because it will overcharge and destroy your batteries (I learned the hard way). Buy the upgraded charger (on sale for $30 at Amazon). The smart charger model number is "Black & Decker BDFC240 9.6 Volt to 24 Volt Battery Charger". These weed eaters are very light and the 18 volt version has multiple tools that can power on the same battery.

Well it looks like Stihl and Echo are the top dogs, and only one vote on an electric. Will have to take a store run and see what I can find.

Thanks for the info on the B&D... I know most people put batteries in a charger and leave them until next time. It just sits and cooks them. Nice to know they have a better charger. Too bad it does not come with it.

Here is a vote for the black and decker. But I got the 36v lithium battery model. You keep it in the charger all the time. Lithium battreys like to be fully charged and it doesn't cook them. On my .75 ac property have never come close to running it out of juice. Light, powerful and wife can run it by simply pressing the button. She doesn't have to start the thing, which would be an adventure in itself.

I have the Black & Decker with the lithium batteries as well. I think mine is the 40v max model. Works great, much better than the old 18 volt nicad versions. (I had a couple of those as well) As others have stated the new lithium models don't have a problem staying on the charger.

On all the battery models, storage of the batteries over the winter, etc is key. I keep mine in my basement over the winter. If you keep them in a cold garage it can cause issues. I've got 3 batteries (one is a drill battery which does not have the same rating/last as long as the weedeater batteries).

If you don't need a gas model the new lithium battery models are worth looking into.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have a black and decker 24 volt and it does my whole yard in one charge. I am pretty impressed by it. It's so nice not to mess with gas and all that mess. Batteries have come a long way.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Stihl or Echo gas powered with a harness so she's not holding it up with her arms the whole time.
    2nd post nailed it... this is crucial for any extended use... get a harness (or shoulder strap at minimum) and let her try the one you have. I bet it will completely change things for her. Stihl pro trimmers come with a shoulder strap in the box for a reason. Trimmers get heavy no matter how "tough" you are if you use them for any length of time. Pro models are heavier and get used for longer periods. Stihl knows this and knows that sending a $5 strap with their trimmers will drastically reduce weight/fatigue complaints so that's what they do, and it works...

That being said, I'm a Stihl fan. My FS130R trimmer is an animal. I've used it fairly heavily over the last 4 years; occasionally knocking down thick, tall grass/weeds on the embankment behind my house... I can swing that thing like a scythe and the grass/weeds just fall like a razor sliced through it all in one shot and the engine barely even grunts. For a lighter option I would go smaller than the FS130 though; IIRC the 90 is a good compromise between weight and power.

Regarding the earlier comment about string fusing together in the head. There are 2 things I've found that cause that. #1 Using fancy strings that have certain polymers that are prone to vibration welding together. The solid color round string works fine for me. #2 Wrapping the string very tight in neatly wound layers actually contributes to this fusing because the strings share more surface area with their neighbor. Loosely/sloppily wrapping the string has prevented these issues from happening for me (even when using the string that is prone to fusing together)...

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Regarding the earlier comment about string fusing together in the head. There are 2 things I've found that cause that. #1 Using fancy strings that have certain polymers that are prone to vibration welding together. The solid color round string works fine for me. #2 Wrapping the string very tight in neatly wound layers actually contributes to this fusing because the strings share more surface area with their neighbor. Loosely/sloppily wrapping the string has prevented these issues from happening for me (even when using the string that is prone to fusing together)...

I noticed on mine. Not very often, but when it does get jammed it seems to have the line kind of tucked under the earlier winds. Like it was loosened and retightened.

Top Bottom