• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Condor is not bad but it doesn't have the price tag or the cool name and will get bashed on the "tactical" sites but if you like it and its what you can afford then great!

yea i really dont care what they think lol. this will be used for personal use and maybe a few carbine courses

Agreed. I've had a Condor PC and it was good to go, especially since it rode around in my trunk, as my active shooter rig. For what most shooters do/need it'll fit the bill. The best thing is, you use it, figure out what you like/don't like, and buy up the next time, as your need and skill level grows. Then you sell the old one or have a backup!

I might recommend keeping your pistol platform in the same area, with the same type of retention you carry every day. If you do move it, make sure to get some training hours in to get the stress repetitions in your muscle memory.

well for the carbine courses they suggest having a chest mounted holster because they dont want a regular holster to get in the way during the course. i have a blackhawk serpa and im not sure whether it would get in the way or not. im gonna go ahead and order that molle attatchment because its only 15 bucks. if i dont have to use it i wont. if i do well im competion and want to keep doing them ill end up upgrading my gear as i save up more money

I'll take a photo of my plate carrier when I get home later this afternoon, maybe it'll give you an idea or two, it sounds very similar in layout as to what your looking to do.

please do! id love the ideas

While I am not a person who has to use a rig in combat or police work I will second what jsx1043 is saying about keeping your pistol in the same place as always. I purchased a drop leg holster and like it fine but can tell you that I carry IWB or in a fobus holster everyday and practice drawing from it and at the range. The first couple times I wore the leg rig and practiced transition drills to the pistol I was grabbing air as I have practiced so much for drawing off my hip rather than a drop leg. Would really stink to do that in a life threatening situation:n00b: Also, one reason I did not get a vest mounted holster and won't use one is what if you are on your stomach prone and can't raise up or roll to your side from under cover? It could cause problems for you if you ever had to toss your vest as well since you don't have your pistol anymore but odds are none of us will ever be in that situation.

i agree with what your saying as well. whenever i get this stuff ordered ill make sure to try it out. i plan on training alot with all my gear. i have my own range so ill be out every few days to work on stuff

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    OP, another thing that I ran into when taking my first class is that the way my chest rig was setup completely stunk when I tried to run it for real. In fact I ended up throwing it down and just stuffing mags in my cargo pockets rather than rework the vest during the class. You will find what is comfortable and quickest by using it and not just "thinking" how things would work so you are doing right with practice first.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ok Turner here is the setup that works really well for me, please ignore all of the dirt/mud I haven't had time to clean my gear since the last time I wore it.

gear.jpg

Anyway the plate carrier is a Weesatch with a few additions like a couple double pistol mag pouches over the M4 magazine pouches and a large hydration bladder is attached via molle to the back of the plate carrier also a couple of little convenience things like a digital watch on one shoulder strap & a small LED map light on the other.

As you can see I do not like to mount my pistol on my plate carrier, instead I prefer to wear it in a drop leg holster, with a drop dump pouch on the other leg, it is much quicker to stash my empty magazines in a dump pouch than try to get them back into my chest pouches & it's easy to loose them if you just let them drop to the ground.

This helps to move some of the weight down below my hips which is more comfortable when I am wearing soft armor in conjunction with my plate carrier.

I am an old guy so a good pair of knee pads are pretty much mandatory for me, which is why I tossed them in the photo, if you are over the age of 30 I'd highly recommend them, especially if you are planning on taking any carbine courses.

ffemoeller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    check out 7.62 Tactical on Facebook. I've got a rig on order, should be in any day now. Custom tactical gear. Colin is the owner/maker, nice guy. Be prepared to wait a little, but I couldn't find a better price for quality gear, and he'll custom make it to how ever you want it.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Tactical Tailor MAV!!!

That's one of two I've been looking at. The other is from HSGI. Since you've mentioned the MAV, are there any issues with it you don't like or would you consider the entire rig gtg?

Any known issues with PMags in the pouches? I've heard this, but don't want to rely on internet rumor.

Thanks!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    That's one of two I've been looking at. The other is from HSGI. Since you've mentioned the MAV, are there any issues with it you don't like or would you consider the entire rig gtg?

Any known issues with PMags in the pouches? I've heard this, but don't want to rely on internet rumor.

Thanks!

Get the 2 piece MAV, with the X Harness and the MAV Center Adapter. I have not been able to find any real issues with mine and I have been using the same MAV for at least a decade I think...

The thing I like the most is the amount of options you have to place items any place you need. I do not run PMags, so I have no input in whether they hang up or not...

I have yet to find a Rig/Vest I like better or the out performs/lasts longer... ;)

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ok Turner here is the setup that works really well for me, please ignore all of the dirt/mud I haven't had time to clean my gear since the last time I wore it.

gear.jpg

Anyway the plate carrier is a Weesatch with a few additions like a couple double pistol mag pouches over the M4 magazine pouches and a large hydration bladder is attached via molle to the back of the plate carrier also a couple of little convenience things like a digital watch on one shoulder strap & a small LED map light on the other.

As you can see I do not like to mount my pistol on my plate carrier, instead I prefer to wear it in a drop leg holster, with a drop dump pouch on the other leg, it is much quicker to stash my empty magazines in a dump pouch than try to get them back into my chest pouches & it's easy to loose them if you just let them drop to the ground.

This helps to move some of the weight down below my hips which is more comfortable when I am wearing soft armor in conjunction with my plate carrier.

I am an old guy so a good pair of knee pads are pretty much mandatory for me, which is why I tossed them in the photo, if you are over the age of 30 I'd highly recommend them, especially if you are planning on taking any carbine courses.

i like that setup...alot! i have been looking at some drop leg holsters and some dump pouches

check out 7.62 Tactical on Facebook. I've got a rig on order, should be in any day now. Custom tactical gear. Colin is the owner/maker, nice guy. Be prepared to wait a little, but I couldn't find a better price for quality gear, and he'll custom make it to how ever you want it.

ill make sure to check them out too

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    i like that setup...alot! i have been looking at some drop leg holsters and some dump pouches

I have tried just about every configuration imaginable & that's just what works best for me.

One piece of advice for "drop" gear though, make sure the holster &/or drop pouch has dual rubber strips on the inside side of the leg strapping, the cheaper ones do not & they will slide around on you while you are running.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    alright ill make sure to check for some elastic. i still have no idea what im gonna do with my setup. i hate having this many options

I am sorry I might not have been clear enough.

When I mentioned the rubber strips in the inside of the strapping I wasn't talking about "elastic" at all.

I was referring to a really tacky rubber stripe that some manufacturers embed into the inside (leg side) of the strap, it really helps keep the holsters/pouches stay put, this is especially important while running or crawling, etc.

I would post a photo of what I am talking about but my photobucket account is giving me a little grief at the moment.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ok my photobucket account seems to be cooperating with me now.

Here is a couple of photos of what I am talking about, notice the stripes going down the length of the inside of the straps, those stripes are rubberized.

straps001.jpg

straps002.jpg

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You need to make sure you have room for a blow out kit. H-Bandage CAT tourniquet, etc.

^What he said.^ IFAK is a must! Accessible by either hand is preferable...

I HIGHLY recommend the use of cutaway/tearoff panels with the IFAK/Blow out kit. It is really nice to be able to just put the kit were it is handy to use when it is needed and not wear it is handy while walking around... ;)

I use the DBT one and can vouch for its durability and function. The Only complaint I have is placing the kit back on the panel is a pain and not something that you will want to do when busy. However, generally if you have to use the kit putting the full pouch back on the cutaway is probably not real high on your priority list... ;)

I am thinking of ordering the Tactical Tailor one to give it a test drive and see how it compares though... :dunno:

Diamondback Tactical® Small Cutaway Platform, Platform only - Diamondback Tactical – U.S. manufacturer of tactical gear, ballistic body armor, plates and protective apparel
    or
    Tear Away Panel

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    My PC rig IFAK isn't removable, but is pretty handy. I got one of these: Condor Modular Side Kick Pouch. What's nice about it is it's low profile, opens all the way up, lots of elastic inside, small zipper pouch on the outside (I have gloves in it,) and velcro for tabs to mark red cross and blood type patches. My chest rig IFAK is a TT general pouch with a GI IFAK insert and a skillfully drawn-on red cross on the lid.

I thought about a rip away, but am trying to save on space a little. As it is, my PC rig is for serving warrants, and not full battle rattle, so I can't do too crazy or the brass would have a coniption.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My PC rig IFAK isn't removable, but is pretty handy. I got one of these: Condor Side Kick pouch (Condor Modular Side Kick Pouch) What's nice about it is it's low profile, opens all the way up, lots of elastic inside, small zipper pouch on the outside (I have gloves in it,) and velcro for tabs to mark red cross and blood type patches. My chest rig IFAK is a TT general pouch with a GI IFAK insert and a skillfully drawn-on red cross on the lid.

I thought about a rip away, but am trying to save on space a little. As it is, my PC rig is for serving warrants, and not full battle rattle, so I can't do too crazy or the brass would have a coniption.

That is the great thing about the rip away IFAKs as long as you can reach the kit with either hand to rip it off it is good to go... ;)

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    alright so ill need a medikit pretty much. i think i could put that top and center and run a drop leg pistol holster. or i could put it down low.

so anything else i should get?

right now i have 6 ar mag pouchs, 4 pistol pouches, drop leg holster (with sticky grip stuff lol), dump pouch, and a medikit?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    alright so ill need a medikit pretty much. i think i could put that top and center and run a drop leg pistol holster. or i could put it down low.

so anything else i should get?

right now i have 6 ar mag pouchs, 4 pistol pouches, drop leg holster (with sticky grip stuff lol), dump pouch, and a medikit?

A hydro-carrier, admin pouch, knee pads & radio pouch are all also very handy, but it ultimately depends on your gear's intended purpose & your own personal preferences.

Most guys will vamp & revamp their load-outs several times until they finally figure out what works best for them.

Top Bottom