• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    We just picked up a 2 year old yellow lab (mix?). He is very loving and seems pretty smart, but I think some formal training would really help him out.

His leash manners are awful, so we purchased a gentle leader head harness to try out. Hopefully that will help him with some work.

Does anyone know of someone that does training for all ages of dog? Most of the ones that I found are for puppies only. I would really like to work on the basics, sit, lay, stay, leash manners, not jumping etc.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    First friend K9 in fishers (im pretty sure thats the name). It's right by the big john deere dealer that does the big xmas light display. They trained my english bulldog and were great.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I would really like to work on the basics, sit, lay, stay, leash manners, not jumping etc.

You should be able to do this yourself. Most dog trainers will tell you that training the owners is the hard part. I raise German Shepherds and I do all the basic obeidence training. I got my first leason from the local AKC club in Anderson. :D I took other classes at a place called Forest Hass Kennels in Mt Comfort. (several years ago no longer in business) I took dogs with me but it was me being trained. Lots of info on the internet, books and video. Once you are trained you will be able to handle the dogs.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    You should be able to do this yourself. Most dog trainers will tell you that training the owners is the hard part. I raise German Shepherds and I do all the basic obeidence training. I got my first leason from the local AKC club in Anderson. :D I took other classes at a place called Forest Hass Kennels in Mt Comfort. (several years ago no longer in business) I took dogs with me but it was me being trained. Lots of info on the internet, books and video. Once you are trained you will be able to handle the dogs.
    :+1:

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    First friend K9 in fishers (im pretty sure thats the name). It's right by the big john deere dealer that does the big xmas light display. They trained my english bulldog and were great.

x999999
    Talk to Bruce hell of a nice guy.

they can show you hwo to train your dog, or if he is allraedy in left field. They can take him in for 1-4 weeks then they train you to keep the trainning they started. Remember its an everday thing.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Thanks for the recommendations, I will check out First Friend K9 and see what they have to offer. He is doing better already, but I do think some formal training is important, and it would be a good way for us to bond.

The Gentle Leader is the best invention ever, after 5 minutes of use he was no longer pulling with it on.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Another trainer you might look at is Brad Peifer, he works out of Bark Tutor
    259-8336. Probably one of the best dog trainers in the Indpls area, and reasonable prices.

:ingo:

Top Bottom