• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    One Thousand Nine Hundred and Thirteen dollars...

That's right, 1913.00 and that's not counting the Mossberg 500, the pistol and ammo for both.

That's a lot of money for a Bug out bag that to me is not equipped right.

Those tent hammocks are the bomb, imho. I've been meaning to get one. Great way to have a super fast shelter that keeps you away from the creepy crawlies on the ground.

A $20.00 hammock and a 14.00 tarp is just as good as that over priced $177.00 yuppie toy and a whole lot more versatile.

Or if you want to, go buy a used USGI Jungle hammock that has Mosquito netting and rain roof built in for $45.00. Good enough for the boys that protect our country, good enough for me.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    One Thousand Nine Hundred and Thirteen dollars...

That's right, 1913.00 and that's not counting the Mossberg 500, the pistol and ammo for both.

That's a lot of money for a Bug out bag that to me is not equipped right.

A $20.00 hammock and a 14.00 tarp is just as good as that over priced $177.00 yuppie toy and a whole lot more versatile.

Or if you want to, go buy a used USGI Jungle hammock that has Mosquito netting and rain roof built in for $45.00. Good enough for the boys that protect our country, good enough for me.

Or another option similar to what I run. ENO Double Hammock, mosquito net, tarp, and 550 cord for the ridgeline. There are definitely cheaper ways to do many of those things equally as effectively.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I bet I've got around that much dough tied up in our packs, but I have 2 identical setups, one for me and one for the wife. Ours are also much better in the sense that we have WAY more stuff and our stuff is more versatile in the number of uses each item can serve. The medical portion of our kits is what killed me. I've included things like duct tape and small bottles of gorilla glue, rolls of trip wire.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bet I've got around that much dough tied up in our packs, but I have 2 identical setups, one for me and one for the wife. Ours are also much better in the sense that we have WAY more stuff and our stuff is more versatile in the number of uses each item can serve. The medical portion of our kits is what killed me. I've included things like duct tape and small bottles of gorilla glue, rolls of trip wire.....

You stopped short on that.......

Between my BOB, the wifes rig and the ones we outfitted for the kids (26/29) we are set up for over 72 hrs. with ample food/water/clothing/and defense....yes, there is trip wire.

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very nice

Wow. That's a pretty good selection of survival gear.

Equipment: Bug-Out Bag | Uncrate

bug-out-bag-xl.jpg

I saw this one earlier this week too. Gives me some food for thought to double check my own BOB for gaps / weaknesses...

:popcorn:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Kind of like how a lot of gun-board members roll!

"Hey - check out my new $1000 + 1911! I plan on carrying it in an Uncle Mike's holster held to my body with a $10.00 walmart leather belt. What do you think?" Know what I think? I think you'd be better served with a $600 pistol and a $150 belt / holster combo...that's what I think. :n00b:

No joke!! I used to be that guy...until about a week ago lol. Man was i missing out! I spent some money on some good holster and belt combo. 60 bucks for an OSOE Riggers belt and 60 bucks for a GCode XST holster. Im enjoying this new combo with my G19

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The best way to carry any defensive gear is a vest designed for such use. My BOB is full so we have picked up vests that are adjustable and will carry most everything needed. They take the extra weight and distribute it relieving your belt and pants from this burden. Mine has 6 pistol mag pockets, 6 pockets for AR mags, a holster attached and adjustable all the way down to a combat length. There are attachment points for other needs and another holster under my left arm for a 2nd pistol should I choose to carry one. We have 3 of these and they really work for us. We went into the woods a few weekends back and carried everything we would in a SHTF scenario but the BOB's. This was a weapons only deal. My son has his rigged for 12 G. and pistol, mine for AR and pistols, son in law the same. They are comfortable and the weight is not to much.
    Works for us.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    273,346 posts on here, and we get a member who's been on here since Jan 2011 and he can't find anything newer than a almost 10 month old thread to resurrect.

I said it then, and I'll say it now...

One Thousand Nine Hundred and Thirteen dollars without the Mossy, pistol and ammo is way too much.

Even by outlandish Obama standards.

picture.php

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Personally, for this climate, I've never understood the attraction of the tent/hammock. In cold weather you've got cold air circulating under your body, which makes your insulation less effective.

Re: your comment, IndyBeerMan, it seems to me that the number of posts is more indicative of site sophistication than the date of joining. Even after all the time I've been here, I still sometimes forget to look at the date of the original post when a topic catches my eye. . . .

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Care to post a link to your vest? Ive considered getting one but have done little to no research on vests so far. Been tweeking my BOB for a long time. I ll probably never stop tweaking it. Haha

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Uncrate.com is a great little website. Its basically eye candy that gets updated everyday. I check it out a lot. However its mostly stuff that no one needs. 80% is stuff that I cant afford, 90% is stuff that I could never justify purchasing and I've only bought 2 or 3 things in the last couple years bc of the site.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Personally, for this climate, I've never understood the attraction of the tent/hammock. In cold weather you've got cold air circulating under your body, which makes your insulation less effective.

5 months out of the year a hammock won't cut it in Indiana, but I'd rather be off the ground when it's raining and 42 degrees than laying on it cold and wet. You'll suffer from hypothermia faster being wet than dry.

I have a small 6x6 3 pound tent that I have in the back of my SUV next to the GHB, while I do not have a hammock as of yet, if my vehicle becomes disabled and can not continue in it, you can bet that the tent is getting strapped to the bottom of my bag. Shelter is of the up most importance when conditions are bad and I imagine I could be fairly comfy in it with a survival blanket and my insulated parka and my tarp under the tent to prevent wet ground cover from seeping in.

Re: your comment, IndyBeerMan, it seems to me that the number of posts is more indicative of site sophistication than the date of joining. Even after all the time I've been here, I still sometimes forget to look at the date of the original post when a topic catches my eye. . . .

In my message I put post when I should have put threads.

The number of posts/threads a site has does not correlate to site sophistication, especially when you factor in the Official Status Update thread which is 74 volumes and contains what I imagine over almost 600,000 posts of basically a running chat room. Been in there done that, meet a lot of fine members and served it's purpose.

My point is this below....

i like that he uses a spork and saves the weight of add BOTH a spoon and a fork

Awakes a 10 month old dead thread about saving weight on what looks like a metal spork. Nothing more constructive or informative.

I'll take my polymer Fork, spoon and knife over that any day. Similar to below, but my knife has a more aggressive serration for cutting.
    $(KGrHqN,!nsE8VFMhw9LBPJM93oZq!~~60_12.JPG

And I'll take my secondary utensil the Light My Fire spork over the kits spork any day.

spork.PNG

Top Bottom