• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't smoke but how long can you keep a carton of cigarrettes before they go "bad"? How would you keep a carton of smokes for long term storage? Reading "1 second after" and got the idea that perhaps I should stock up on smokes to use to trade for other stuff. :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    All tobacco dries out with time. For cigars you keep them in a humidor and under ideal conditions they can be stored for DECADES. In fact you can still find some quality pre-Cuban-embargo cigars in humidors now that date back to the late 50's.

I've never tried to long term store a cigarette, but cigars are stored at roughly 68 to 72 percent humidity and at roughly 70 degrees. Perhaps doing that with cigarettes would also work.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    From my experience and reading pipe tobacco is the most tolerant of storage. As a matter of fact many pipe "experts" prefer that their tobacco be aged at least a year.

A quick Google search will show you that storing tobacco with a proper humidity in mason jars or tobacco tins in a cool dark place is recommended. The tobacco can last a very long time this way.

How long? At least 30 years if sealed correctly in a tin or jar. There is pipe tobacco and cigars in expensive humidors from before the Cuban embargo. So if done correctly tobacco can last a long time.

I am planning on putting some tobacco in a mason jar to see if aging it does make the difference many experts say it does.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all but looking maining at "cigarrettes" (ie. Camel, Malborro, Kools, etc...) that type of stuff. Freezer idea might be worth a try for the time being me think. Need t read up some more on this.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Instead of cigarettes maybe you could buy some tobacco, tobacco pusher, rolling papers, cigarette blanks and store them.

Yes and no. Not looking to "make" them. More thinking if I have a cartoon of Kools I now have say 10 packs of "commidities" I can trade.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Freezer works,I bought several cartons for 5 bucks apiece years ago and left them in the freezer for ,some 6 monthes,still had that good buro taste.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Deep freezer maybe. Freezer in your fridge definitely not. What does a fridge or air conditioner do besides cool the air? It removes moisture, so long term storage would dry it out faster than if you just left it in the closet.

vacuum seal and store at room temp would be the best bet IMO

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess my point is that cigarette tobacco in a sealed can would probably have a better shelf life. Then a guy could make some to sell.

I think JD has the best thought for really long term. You won't have to build them. Just sell or barter some loose tobac and rolling papers when the time comes. The smokers will be thrilled with it in any form.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    my :twocents:

What would be cheaper:
    Buying tobacco or buying cigarettes?

Also, how hard would it be to grow tobacco? Maybe not 2 acres of it, but enough to store?

A majority of ppl smoke and have an addiction to smoking. Cigarettes would be a gold mine. Just like junkies, cigarette smokers need their fix and will trade anything for a few cigs

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom