• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wondering if I should put a lock on our closet door? The walk in closet is stupid huge. As such it houses our safe which is not visible, however there are some cans of ammo in there along with some empty long gun and handgun boxes. We are going to have someone house sit for a few days so I got to thinking if I should put a lock on the door or just take anything firearms related out to the Barn?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm curious. Are you considering locking the closet because of the house sitter, or just in general?

If it's because of the house sitter, you may want to consider a new sitter, if you don't trust them enough to not steal empty boxes. :twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As long as its an exterior grade lock, I dont see a problem with it. (if they want into a privacy lock they'll just find a screwdriver)

Either works I guess.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a digital lock on my closet door... At times I forget to lock my gun safe but I never forget to close the closet door. It's there to keep my grandson out.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I'm curious. Are you considering locking the closet because of the house sitter, or just in general?

If it's because of the house sitter, you may want to consider a new sitter, if you don't trust them enough to not steal empty boxes. :twocents:
    I was thinking about it in general. Not that I don't trust the sitter but why ask for speculation. Another thing is I really don't want to advertise that we might have firearms in the house. In reality its doubtful anyone would see the safe. So maybe I am over thinking it?

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I was thinking about it in general. Not that I don't trust the sitter but why ask for speculation. Another thing is I really don't want to advertise that we might have firearms in the house. In reality its doubtful anyone would see the safe. So maybe I am over thinking it?

Wouldn't a lock on a closet door cause some speculation?

Do you personally know the sitter or is it like a company?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    As long as its an exterior grade lock, I dont see a problem with it. (if they want into a privacy lock they'll just find a screwdriver)

Either works I guess.

By exterior grade, you mean one that can be defeated by one or two solid kicks? Locks only keep honest people honest. If someone wants to get in, they will, whether it's a deadbolt or a weak lock. Especially if they are inside with no worry of noise or people seeing them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    By exterior grade, you mean one that can be defeated by one or two solid kicks? Locks only keep honest people honest. If someone wants to get in, they will, whether it's a deadbolt or a weak lock. Especially if they are inside with no worry of noise or people seeing them.

No as in this kind of key:

key-01.jpg

VS This kind of "key":
    KW1087.jpg

OP is concerned about covert/casual snooping. Not B&E.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Well, before I got the big long gun safe I had a small, pistol safe in a closet. I had a keyed lock on the door to the closet, and it got locked occasionally when we went out of town. I'm not sure what I was planning to stop with that little lock, and sometimes I didn't even bother to lock it.

I think you may be overthinking it. Based on my experience, if you do put a lock on it, you'll lock it the first few times you're gone then it will end up not being used again.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I always assume that anyone who takes care of my house while I'm away is going to snoop around. Just put a bunch of marbles in the medicine cabinet. Once they spill those all over the bathroom floor, they won't snoop anywhere else.

Or you could put up signs that say "Smile, you're on hidden camera" in obscure places. Or just leave a bunch of adult novelties :naughty: laying on the floor in the closet. That'll guarantee they won't go in there. :wrongdoor:

Top Bottom