• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

Trying to figure out the best place for our coop we're going to put in. Is it alright to put the coop right next to a crop field? :dunno: I wasn't sure if the pesticides would mess with them or not.

I've got a couple of families I know that have them fairly close to a field, but I just thought I'd ask.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Our coop is about 30ft from a field however we also have a privacy fence around our yard. I don't know if that's a pro or a con but we haven't had any issues with it.

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Have you thought about a chicken tractor. If you are not getting very many,6-8, this could be a decent option. You can move it around your yard whenever you want.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pesticides shouldn't bother them. When I had chickens I always made sure they were within easy wheel barrow range of the garden. Same for rabbit hutches. Makes it easy to shovel up their fertilizer and spread it on the garden spot.

huey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    SW IND
    Have you thought about a chicken tractor. If you are not getting very many,6-8, this could be a decent option. You can move it around your yard whenever you want.

WATCH OUT FOR THE CHICKEN HAWK :laugh:

images

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks for the info y'all. Haha Glad I'm old enough to remember the chicken hawk and if I see it :ar15:will be my response.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    We had ours in the side yard. They were free range chickens.

They went every where. I put a couple of them in the garden to eat the potato bugs. They nailed a couple of tomatoes but they got rid of the bugs.

They would go back to there house at dusk and I would lock them up.

They are tough birds. Our wrotty got a hold of one and I thought I was going to have a chicken dinner that night. I picked it up and took it to the barn after I got her off of it.

I was going to cut off its head and I laid it on the chopping block and went to grab my little ax and it got up and ran to its house with the wrotty chasing it. The are fast. I guess thinking it was going to be dog food made it that much faster.

Top Bottom