• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I count 27 in that photo, and I would guess I have had 100 at once between my three feeders. It s WILD to stand in the middle of the three feeders and have all the hummingbirds buzzing around you like a swarm of bees. I have held one of the feeders about a foot from my face and had that many birds coming at once. I've got some great videos.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I enjoy watching birds. Our feeder brings in House Wrens, a few starlings, a pair of Cardinals, Blue Jays, a Downy woodpecker, a Red headed woodpecker and morning doves to clean up the seeds on the ground. Have not seen any humming birds to my feeder yet.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    White-throated sparrow
    34ioepf.jpg

Purple finch

33p7tz6.jpg

This last one was hard to ID,and only one of our books had it.Myrtle Warbler
    fa4mbm.jpg

wcjwua.jpg

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    First let me say i'm an animal lover. I don't mean to sound cruel, but you might be doing your "bird neighborhood" a favor by trying to put down the ill bird? In its already compromised state, it likely won't live long. Best to maybe put it out of its misery.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This last one was hard to ID,and only one of our books had it.Myrtle Warbler

I bet your other books list it as a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, which is what it is. There are two forms – the "Myrtle" in the north and east, and "Audubon's" in the west – but they are the same species.

I don't mean to sound cruel, but you might be doing your "bird neighborhood" a favor by trying to put down the ill bird?

Migratory songbirds are protected under federal law, so no. Also, nature will take its course in due time; either the bird will recover from the disease, or it will get naturally selected and become food for a predator.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I bet your other books list it as a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, which is what it is. There are two forms – the "Myrtle" in the north and east, and "Audubon's" in the west – but they are the same species.

So they are both Yellow-Rumped Warblers.That one is the Myrtle Warbler though."The Myrtle can be distinguished from Audubon's Warbler by its whitish eye stripe, white (not yellow) throat, and contrasting cheek patch.

I looked in our books,and indeed a few of them list Yellow-Rumped warblers but all descriptions of them include a yellow throat(as do the pictures)which is what had us confused(Audubon's).Thanks for the help clarifying who this guy was.I think our oldest book is the only one that listed them as separate species.

This one was feeding on the shores of Lake Superior.I have never seen a bird standing or flying through breaking waves,but they(there where plenty of them)did not seem to mind getting wet while hunting little flies.The basalt cliffs we where on made for a nice back ground. :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I looked in our books,and indeed a few of them list Yellow-Rumped warblers but all descriptions of them include a yellow throat(as do the pictures)which is what had us confused(Audubon's).Thanks for the help clarifying who this guy was.I think our oldest book is the only one that listed them as separate species.

If you want to be really pretentious, you'd list it as "Yellow-Rumped Warbler (Myrtle)". :) It's amazing how fast our understanding of birds, and thus their names and taxonomy, changes. Peterson's Field Guide, which used to be THE bird book to have just a decade or two ago, is now so out of date it is almost laughable.

I use Sibley's and Kaufman's guides; I find Sibley's to have better/more accurate information, while Kaufman's use of actual photos (as opposed to artwork) can be helpful in identifying birds that aren't in "ideal" plumage or lighting conditions.

Around here, Yellow-Rumped Warblers are some of the first to show up in the spring, and last to leave in the winter; they can even over-winter in some places if conditions are prime.

HTH!

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I forgot I had these.
    This killdeer is from last year. It decided to make a nest in a partial gravel drive.
    I put part of a cinder block down by the nest so nobody would run over it.
    The first picture is of one of them approaching me as I am getting closer to the nest. Note the nest just behind it.
    1g9cDn3.jpg

The Nest
    Zq5XiC5.jpg

The diversionary "broken wing" tactic. Such a brilliant act. :)
    epMVdZX.jpg

Ev9KoYy.jpg

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    I love the bunting!!!
    I keep a tree filled with feeders. One with regular seed, one with thistle seed, a suet cake, and a hummingbird feeder. Saw my first hummingbird of the season last week! They are cool to watch!

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Great pics, Shiban! I am curious to know what type of camera you used. My daughter is in 4-H Photography and she ties to get pics like that but it is a challenge.

We've have lots of hummers on our feeders every year, but 2012 was our first time seeing an oriole. What a thrill. I hope they are back this year.

---
    GB!

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Great pics, Shiban! I am curious to know what type of camera you used. My daughter is in 4-H Photography and she ties to get pics like that but it is a challenge.

We've have lots of hummers on our feeders every year, but 2012 was our first time seeing an oriole. What a thrill. I hope they are back this year.

---
    GB!
    Thank you.
    Canon SX20IS. Point and shoot digital. I bought it a few years back for a vacation. These are all taken with auto settings. I bought it for the 20x optical zoom. It's got a pretty good lens on it. You can get them now pretty cheap.
    Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX20IS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-Inch Articulating LCD: Camera & Photo

Examples of sunsets taken with this.
    zVYOhUk.jpg

2Ohky5i.jpg

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I had this bad boy on my seed cake last week.. A pileated woodpecker. Excuse the photo as it was my IPhone through a window and screen..

FD0B4563-7346-4EE8-AFDB-09F840CA1829-7872-00000E2EE123F1BA_zpse9b461d4.jpg

I've got quite a few gold finches on my "upside down feeders". I had a ton of them a few weeks ago when they started changing back to yellow.

Some folks on my website are seeing hummers now.,.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Shiban, we had a male cardinal with that same affliction that was at our feeders in 08 & 09. there was a farily long spell, maybe 3 months, where we didn't see him. But he showed up again one day. I assume it was the same one anyway. He had his girl with him during both stretches, so I took it to be the same guy.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Shiban, we had a male cardinal with that same affliction that was at our feeders in 08 & 09. there was a farily long spell, maybe 3 months, where we didn't see him. But he showed up again one day. I assume it was the same one anyway. He had his girl with him during both stretches, so I took it to be the same guy.
    It's been a week or so since I've seen this guy. I think with all of the dandelions going to seed, that he's eating off of the ground where it's easier. Just a guess though. The house finches have thinned out a bit as have the gold finches, and I'm thinking they all have done this.

Hummingbirds keep coming in though.
    Here's some pics from both my wife and I. She took the ones with the flash. I took the shadow pics.
    JyUIYDi.jpg

0oQdEBo.jpg

8pVE1VQ.jpg
    mhX4Ipn.jpg
    Ui4FXqq.jpg
    BLmptvt.jpg
    N24Z80b.jpg
    q1vL2gh.jpg

kyle2452

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks for the pics. But you are now obligated to keep that bird feeder full until that House Finch gets his vision back.

Maybe it was just the Woodpecker's time to go. Could have been lightening related. You did try CPR right? Mouth to beak? ;)

Those birds now need some radar. or sonar.:):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom