• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I love finches and small songbirds.
    Unfortunately today I saw a rather unhealthy House finch on my feeder.
    I did some google-fu and found out he has avian conjunctivitis. The disease itself isn't fatal, but since their vision is so impaired, they are more prone to predation and starvation since they have a hard time seeing food. I really hope he comes back. I was half an inch from him when he finally flew away, that's how bad his vision is.

For the past couple of years I've been watching a red-bellied woodpecker in my yard. A few weeks ago there was a pretty good storm at night and I went out the next morning and saw him under a tree on the ground dead. I don't know if the wind knocked him out or he got hit by hail that was falling. It was a shame, I really liked watching him.

Pics are VERY large...
    Ph6DrIM.jpg

X4LrueL.jpg

And some other small birds. A goldfinch and an Indigo Bunting. I love that little blue guy.
    fd0MVT2.jpg

3ksTuNN.jpg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't have the talent for taking pictures, but we've got a nice assortment of birds around our house too. There's a big 'ol Pileated woodpecker that hangs around and makes a tremendous racket. Pretty to watch, though.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Thanks for the pics. But you are now obligated to keep that bird feeder full until that House Finch gets his vision back.

Maybe it was just the Woodpecker's time to go. Could have been lightening related. You did try CPR right? Mouth to beak? ;)

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks for the pics. But you are now obligated to keep that bird feeder full until that House Finch gets his vision back.

Maybe it was just the Woodpecker's time to go. Could have been lightening related. You did try CPR right? Mouth to beak? ;)
    Oh how bad I wanted to try...

Here's a couple of pics of our favorite birds, hummers. These were from last year. I don't know what I like more, the birds or taking pics of them. :)

F8gfFIZ.jpg

15F03Fl.jpg

ZiJKLFi.jpg

This one was taken through our front window. The feeder sits on our patio table about 2 ft from the window. I think it's eyeballing me... :n00b:
    Zz0tmTK.jpg

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you for posting the photos. Nice Bunting there. I love birds; have Bared Owls who keep me company these days.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I used to plant morning glories (with the big blue flowers) around the porch. They would make a virtual plant wall that attracted humming birds and huge praying mantis. I would sit on the porch and have up to three humming birds inches from my face. Way too cool...

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    My grandmother planted every flower under the sun to attract hummingbirds for 40 years at the old farmstead, with no success. On the day we buried her we had a wake at the farm, good 'ol hillbilly style. Miraculously, on that one day, and never since, there were literally dozens (if not hundreds) of hummingbirds all over her flowers.

Your pics brought a tear to my eye, thank you for the happy memory!
    -Matt

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    My grandmother planted every flower under the sun to attract hummingbirds for 40 years at the old farmstead, with no success. On the day we buried her we had a wake at the farm, good 'ol hillbilly style. Miraculously, on that one day, and never since, there were literally dozens (if not hundreds) of hummingbirds all over her flowers.

Your pics brought a tear to my eye, thank you for the happy memory!
    -Matt

for me it is my Mom and hummingbirds, she had plenty, I had none. In the 2 years she has been gone, I have had plenty of Hummingbirds around my house. Always reminds me of her when I see them buzzing around.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love getting new birds to stop by our feeders. Never had an Indigo Bunting here. It would be great to have one around.

Yesterday there was a Rose Breasted Grosbeak here. I didn't get a picture of him yet. He's the first one I've seen in my area and didn't know if he'll stay around or making his way further north.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing. This morning I saw my first hummingbird so I made up the sugar water and put the feeders out. Brad teases me and calls me bird lady since I love to wathc the birds and make him hang any new bird houses I get. We also have a woodpecker next door. I can hear him but I cannot find him. I did see a woodpecker that looked just like ole woody woodpecker flying from tree to tree about a month ago and he was big. He was cool looking too. I am so glad to see the hummers back.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Definitely a sure sign of spring when the hummingbirds come back. I love this time of year. I've had a few males come up to the window today, but left my camera elsewhere...

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Yay. A new friend appeared. I'm pretty sure this is a downy woodpecker. I've never seen one here before. The lighting was bad. It was really overcast today and this was taken through the window. I didn't want to take the chance of opening the door and frightening it away.

It's good to see another since the the other woodpecker is gone.
    ykpK1Eb.jpg

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Here is one of my three hummingbird feeders, and all three get just as crowded. I go through about five pounds of sugar a week mixing food for them.

b3c0beeef3e4694cae7fc0283dd1f429.jpg

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I used to plant morning glories (with the big blue flowers) around the porch. They would make a virtual plant wall that attracted humming birds and huge praying mantis. I would sit on the porch and have up to three humming birds inches from my face. Way too cool...

I saw a photo last year of a praying mantis eating a hummingbird!

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I wish I could get that many hummingbirds around my feeders. I only see about 4 different hummers at one time and even that is rare.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Here is one of my three hummingbird feeders, and all three get just as crowded. I go through about five pounds of sugar a week mixing food for them.

b3c0beeef3e4694cae7fc0283dd1f429.jpg
    WOW!!! Is that filled with crack? :): I have never seen anything like that. :yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom