mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I really am going to start drinking if I keep reading this. This thread is so far off track, I don't think even booze can bring it back. :alcoholic:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I really am going to start drinking if I keep reading this. This thread is so far off track, I don't think even booze can bring it back. :alcoholic:

Wild Turkey. It kept my great Aunt in a perpetual state of bliss, in Arkansas, until her death.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I made reference to white felons having an equal chance at employment (all qualifications equal) as blacks without criminal records. Or black sounding names being less likely (again qualifications equal) to be granted interviews that those with white sounding names. That's what the studies indicate. What's your take on that?
    Individuals within a group having a bias against people outside the group is human nature. There is no law you can pass that will fix that. Laws won't make people have different biases.

Why do some employers think it's better to hire a white felon than a black law abider? If there is anything to fix, it is that belief. Shame ain't gonna do it. Laws ain't gonna do it. Certain Black leaders demanding reparations sure ain't gonna do it. Complaining about it ain't gonna do it either. And the brainwashing social justice warrioring will only go so far because there aren't that many idiots who can survive very long in the real world without life beating the stipid out of them.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is it not situational rather than an absolute, and thus a convenient construct

In Japan if I am considered gaijin, or worse, iteki; is it 'yellow priviledge' I must rail against?

Having been to Japan myself, you're spot on. There are plenty of places and jobs that exclude non-Japanese. I think if you were actually a citizen of Japan, then you'd have a legitimate gripe. I have been to plenty of places in Europe, where I was explicitly told I wasn't welcome.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Ok, maybe I will jump back into this. Did you see the video of the guy who what arrested sitting on his mother's porch? Or the guy who got pulled over because he didn't believe the guy lived in such a nice neighborhood, and then he follows him to his own home to make sure he was telling the truth. Can you honestly tell me that this stuff doesn't give you pause, and wonder if you would be treated the same way? Or the story I had where I tried to drop off clothes at the cleaners my PD uses, and the guy refused to wash my clothes unless I showed him a badge, despite my name being the list. Hell, we've had an officer who a woman refused to open a door for him, because he wasn't in uniform. She called dispatch back and complained about a black man dressed as a Carmel Police Officer at her door.

What am I supposed to think? Am I supposed to think these instances are a "one-off," and that it would have gone down the same way if the person had been white? Why would I believe that? Tell me why I am wrong in holding that opinion.

I wouldn't call that privilege, I would call that ignorance and racism. And you're in Carmel, brother. From out here in the corn fields, it's pretty obvious a lot of those folks aren't the smartest or most upright. There is something questionable about a person who will pay $800K for a house that is spitting distance from their neighbors.

To add to your argument, I was working on a new home in a neighborhood in noblesville this summer. I saw zero non-white residents. I think if the one black guy and the few Hispanics on the landscape crew working down the road hadn't been in uniform, the cops might have been called. The residents were nice enough folks, but sheesh, I felt uncomfortable, and I don't even get that tan.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Individuals within a group having a bias against people outside the group is human nature. There is no law you can pass that will fix that. Laws won't make people have different biases.

Why do some employers think it's better to hire a white felon than a black law abider? If there is anything to fix, it is that belief. Shame ain't gonna do it. Laws ain't gonna do it. Certain Black leaders demanding reparations sure ain't gonna do it. Complaining about it ain't gonna do it either. And the brainwashing social justice warrioring will only go so far because there aren't that many idiots who can survive very long in the real world without life beating the stipid out of them.

Who's asking for laws? I don't want to force anybody to do something they don't want to do. I do however, want people to recognize these biases exist. Far less common than they used to be, but more common than many people are willing to admit.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ah yes, that invaluable and infallible source of veracity: the internet.

And to that sad attempt at humor I will add an observation: this thread has come so close to being a self-fulfilling prophecy. We just need to try a little bit harder. Maybe we can get mom45 liquor' d up and see where that takes us.

Be careful what you wish for

Well, I hadn't intended
    To bend the rules
    But whiskey don't make liars
    It just makes fools
    So I didn't mean to say it
    But I meant what I said - James McMurtry

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Be careful what you wish for

Well, I hadn't intended
    To bend the rules
    But whiskey don't make liars
    It just makes fools
    So I didn't mean to say it
    But I meant what I said - James McMurtry

People that most often tell the truth: kids, angry people, and drunks

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Who's asking for laws? I don't want to force anybody to do something they don't want to do. I do however, want people to recognize these biases exist. Far less common than they used to be, but more common than many people are willing to admit.

Okay. Done. Yes. We're all biased. But the "white privilege" nonsense is pointless. People are generally biased against people who are different. The US is 77% white, or something like that. Do the math.

However, understand that you, as a black man, live in a nation that is the most diverse first world nation on the planet. But with all the faux accusations of racism from the U.S. left you wouldn't think so. Consider the following map.

Race_Map.jpg

We don't need a national conversation about race. We need to stop associating DNA with perceptions. I'm not sure that's possible. People develop perceptions of groups through experience and listening to others. We can put our kids through social engineering all we want, and we kinda have through the public school system over the past 40 years. So you'd think that Millennials would have much less racial bias than gen x'ers, and less than Boomers. Turns out, not so much. The biggest improvement between generations on race is from the Silent Generation to Boomers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ls-are-just-about-as-racist-as-their-parents/

If I have only ever had great experiences with black people, and all I hear from the people I trust most is positive, I will think great things about black people. If experience is what causes negative biases, then experience is what will fix negative bias. ***damn straight I'm going to cross the street if I see that I'm heading towards a group of black kids sagging. I've had some negative experiences with that. Like I said. Pavlov is a mother****er.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom