• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Is there anyone on here that has a good solid working knowledge of Linux Ubuntu? I am taking an advanced Linux class this semester and its beating me down, I am hoping there might be someone local in the Indianapolis area that could offer me some tutoring or phone support. Thanks in advance JC

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Yea i thought I knew some Linux also at least how to navigate it, but this class is like I have to know how to write and alter the OS its way beyond my scope, and has me a little bit worried..

I know some Linux but with it being an advanced class, it might be beyond my knowledge.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Yea i thought I knew some Linux also at least how to navigate it, but this class is like I have to know how to write and alter the OS its way beyond my scope, and has me a little bit worried..

yeah that's beyond my abilities. What text do you have for resources? Does it help any?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Its coming along the Labsim is a big help. I have Logic design and programing, advanced Linux, system security and windows server 2003 all this semester. I feel like I am trying to learn Latin, Spanish and French all at the same time...;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So far I am only worried about Fedora, Ubuntu and Red Hat Linux...

Ed, Vi and Emacs are console based (aka CLI) text editors. Although as suggested by revsaxon (obviously a person of questionable character. ed, humph), emacs can do just about anything now and is really sort of frightening. I would think that all 3 would be present even in Ubuntu, certainly in the other 2 linux flavors. All 3 editors are even in MacOSX. I don't know what you have been using to edit your .conf files but I would never use a gui editor as they can do funny things to the text sometimes.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Although as suggested by revsaxon (obviously a person of questionable character. ed, humph), emacs can do just about anything now and is really sort of frightening. I would think that all 3 would be present even in Ubuntu, certainly in the other 2 linux flavors. All 3 editors are even in MacOSX. I don't know what you have been using to edit your .conf files but I would never use a gui editor as they can do funny things to the text sometimes.

Emacs has a built in tetris game and psychiatrist program... Also its kinda hit or miss to be installed on a system. For example Novell's Enterprise Linux doesn't have it by default.

I agree with Expat on the VI is the way to go (though apparently im shady so take it with a grain of salt), though the emacs vs vi debate is almost a holy war among *nix users...

Or, if you really want to make people watching you pull out their hair, its very possible to text edit using only echo, sed and cat :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought about going to emacs for awhile as I thought having a usenet client built in seemed kind of cool, then I got over it. revsaxon, I hope you know I was just ribbing you.

If you really want to learn about Linux, I would try to do Linux from Scratch. I have used Slackware for many years. When I was in the stage where I wanted to learn more, I used to stay in CLI for a month or so. So I had to set up and use slrn for my newsgroups, editing my conf file with vi. I set up sendmail and used mutt for reading my email. Yes I even used links for my web browsing. There are CLI mp3 players. Setting up the network connection by hand was always fun, but Slack has a different init system that runs during boot up (BSD style) so ymmv.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Haha. Its the internet, I assume everything is half ribbing :D

Depending on his experience level, he might be better off going with something like gentoo or archlinux before making teh LFS leap. Admittedly its been a long time since I used any of them, but I remember LFS being really bad on non-vanilla hardware. Nothing like wasting a week trying to get your network running only to later discover it was treating your firewire card as a network card and not-mentioning it.

There is a certain feeling of accomplishment to bootstrapping your own system though, and in starting with only a busybox prompt and creating an entire working OS around it.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Pfft. REAL men write everything in Assembly.

Man, I remember having to write assembly/binary code for a sparc-II processor in college. 1st and only class I ever failed, the finial was a 4 page binary dump that we had to return to assembly form.

Wouldn't wish that on ANYONE, even Obama!

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Man, I remember having to write assembly/binary code for a sparc-II processor in college. 1st and only class I ever failed, the finial was a 4 page binary dump that we had to return to assembly form.

Wouldn't wish that on ANYONE, even Obama!

good god. :faint:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    mrr7so.gif

Top Bottom