• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    My cousin is really enjoying a book called HOW NOT TO DIE.
    It's on par with most things I've already read and heard over the years so I'm not buying the book but I think the principles are consistent with what will keep all of the garbage out of your body.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Retired in October 2018 at 210lbs, weighed at the doctor's office earlier this week at 166, 1lb more than I weighed when I showed up to basic training at 17. Lab results all look good, still pre-diabetic as I have been for over a decade. PTSD, depression and my body breaking down took it all off pretty quick.

I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm no longer hungry which is a big difference from what I did previously which was eat when I was hungry (or bored) until I was full or maybe stuffed if the food was good enough. I worked out, lofted weights and jogged off and on from my time in the Army until I retired but I was still carrying some excess ballast before it all went away.

What some might call rode hard and put away wet. Lucky this old rusted bucket of bolts still seems to idle as smooth as she does.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Just a few days ago I had 6 eggs in the morning and another 6 at lunch time, scrambled in real butter.
    Yum! :thumbsup:
    I've tried a few dozen eggs from a backyard chicken man. But those chickens must have been feeding on commercial feed. I didn't notice much difference between them and factory chicken eggs.
    My next stop is cooking with ghee.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    In addition, many have a much more sedentary lifestyle than did their grandparents.

That's one of my issues, I have a sedentary lifestyle, working a WFH job where I sit on my butt. I've been making sure to get up once an hour to move around. Thankfully I have stairs to go up and down all day, which helps. Trying to move more than I sit, but it's hard.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I started getting gout flareups about 10 years ago. I was able to keep it in check thru diet alone (cut out as much carbs as I could). I cut out so much junk I was eating. Started reading nutrition labels on boxes, ETC. Since being back home for a couple years now, I have slipped in a lot of areas with my diet. And packed on weight. Even though I still wonder why I did enjoy some food I ate before since I don't care for the taste now. Last week the ol lady found out that she is now diabetic with very high cholesterol. I told her that I had no problem eating the same food she is eating. For two reasons. 1 was the biggest obstacle I went thru for gout. And that is the mindset that food is fuel and there is no such thing as comfort food. 2. When I went on my initial diet it was hard for me to see other people eat the food I enjoyed but cut out. Diet alone isn't the whole answer though. You also have to stay active. Must burn calories. lol

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My grandparents also ate same way and both lived to be 90

I believe that what is in the food that we buy is the true culprit and that is one of the reasons that we grow most of our food
    Your body knows how to process REAL butter and lard. It's the synthetic stuff like margarine and Crisco that it can't which leads to cardiovascular issues down the road.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    That's one of my issues, I have a sedentary lifestyle, working a WFH job where I sit on my butt. I've been making sure to get up once an hour to move around. Thankfully I have stairs to go up and down all day, which helps. Trying to move more than I sit, but it's hard.
    I would be curious why you need any medicine, particularly BP, if you're at an ideal weight, eat mostly whole foods and have the level of fitness you described.

I used a standup desk at work for several years that was useful. I know they have them that swing up and down for standing and sitting. You considered one of those?

Mercedes and BMW's don't grow on trees.
    So many everyday items and systems have been financialized to the point of not being helpful, actually harmful. I agree that medicines/medical care rank right up there, which should be quite apparent after the last 4 years.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I would be curious why you need any medicine, particularly BP, if you're at an ideal weight, eat mostly whole foods and have the level of fitness you described.

I used a standup desk at work for several years that was useful. I know they have them that swing up and down for standing and sitting. You considered one of those?

So many everyday items and systems have been financialized to the point of not being helpful, actually harmful. I agree that medicines/medical care rank right up there, which should be quite apparent after the last 4 years.
    I'll add to this.

If one starts to dig in and do their own research, it's amazing how many lies we've been told over the course of our lives in regards to diet, health, and medicine...

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Family history, genes and DNA. My mom and biological dad are small people. Neither are obese. My biological dad is roughly 5'9 and might weight 150lbs. My mom has been on cholesterol meds for 25yrs. When I hit my early 30s I followed suit. I don't eat garbage food, or drink sodas hardly at all. My BMI is 25 and I lift weights 3x week and still have to take BP and cholesterol meds

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

To be clear, I've only recently started the whole food diet. My diet for the last few years has been a little better than the norm, but still full of garbage. Lots and lots of seed oils. I've been on a 90% whole food diet for only about 2 weeks now. So far I haven't noticed much of a difference, aside from dropping a few pounds. Between whole foods and tracking what I eat, I've managed to have a calorie deficit most days, which is leading to weight loss.

I'm not at the ideal weight at this time, I'm at my original goal weight of 175 (174.5 as of this morning). When I decided to do a little research, I found that my "ideal" weight should be somewhere between 150 - 165 depending on what standard is used for someone my age and height (57 and 5'10). My hope is that once I'm down to ~160, I'll have been on whole foods long enough and be down enough weight that my BP will be good without meds, or at least without the water pill which is my main incentive to go through all this. Currently my BP averages ~125/75. I want to keep in that range, or better, without the water pill and possibly without the amlodapine.

Right now I'm struggling to find a balance with my diet. I planned out a good meal plan yesterday, but by the time I was ready for my last meal, I was too tired to make anything and ate a big bowl of porridge instead. Lost out on protein and some other nutrients and threw my calculations off. Going to have to do more planning to get things right and still get all the nutrients I need.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very interesting info, put out a few days ago...

Reference here to grains, oatmeal and some vegetables being good or bad for us...

Yeah, I've watched a bit of Paul's stuff. Good information. I've had to toss a bunch of Quaker and Kroger brand oatmeal and replace it with organic stuff on a list I found showing it had no, or very low amounts of the stuff in roundup. What a PITA.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Buddy of mine decided to go full vegan in March of 2022. No way I could. But he's late 50s and wanted to slim down a bit.

3/22 - 247lbs
    Currently - 190lbs.

He's gotten down to 187 and has a goal of 180.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Found out I was type 2 diabetic about 10 years ago. I was surprised though I should not have been, I ate like I was 15. My four food groups were cake, ice cream, prime rib and donuts. I am 6'4" and lets just say beefy. Since getting out of the Guard in 2008 I packed on the pounds.

I eat a sweat once, maybe twice a year, zero pop, no rice, no pasta, zero alcohol. My last two A1C's came in at 6.1 and 6.0. I take Monjourno once a week. I have dropped quite a bit of weight the last couple years but really need to get off quite a bit more. Been struggling with high blood pressure for years, I know most is work related. But it looks like after 15 years the dealerships days are numbered so it may be good for me, only time will tell. Thats the spin I am trying to tell myself anyway.

I need to get to the YMCA in the morning. The one I pass in the hood every morning is empty and yet I do not take advantage of it.

Top Bottom