Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Before you call me a SWAT hater, I do have 3 of them in my kit, they have a place, just not as my single on body carry/life saver.

Looks like it is the Gen 4 SOFT T

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What's the difference between this one and the version II then?

They look the same to me.

I know between the I and II they made the strap wider and removed one of the two triangular buckles, also removed the screw thingy.And added the quick detach feature.

It seems the only change between gen II and III is the buckle design.

1.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sorry I had to do some digging, the current SOFT T is a Gen 4, those are the ones that I have and posted a picture of.

Yeah that's Gen 3 and 4 on that picture, not 3 and 3.It's confusing.

gen-4-softt-w-buckle.jpg

I probably have the gen 1 or 2, the one where you had to tighten a screw and that you can't really fold flat.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    CAT is designed for one handed operation

The SOFFT-W can be applied one-handed without too much trouble (I've done it in practice several times). If the CAT is easier to use one handed, it doesn't offset reliance on velcro and a wimpier windlass to me.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have CATs, SOFFT-Ws, and now RATs TQs stashed around about everywhere. I wish the RATs was more effective, they are way easier to carry discreetly!

There are dozens of different models of tourniquets and they all have their strenghts and weaknesses.
    Some are too bulky to carry around, some are not as easy to apply to yourself but work better when applied to someone else etc.

You just need to pick one model (or a few different models) and practice with it.
    The best tourniquet is the one you have on you and that you are familiar using.
    All commercial tourniquets work and have been clinically tested.

I regularly practice with the SWAT-T.
    With the ankle holster I can deploy it and apply it one-handed to either arm in around 30 seconds.
    That's the time it takes to secure it in place but it will cut the blood flow before that.
    A timer is a great way to induce some stress, I also use a pulse oxymeter to very the absence of pulse to make sure I get it tight enough each time.

1zd3ub6.jpg

You can also practice applying your tourniquet while wearing gloves, in the dark, while laying on the floor etc ...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The only problem I found so far, is the gauze takes up too much space.
    It fits, but then the pant leg doesn't look right.
    I may have to try reorganizing the pockets. So far, I just put it in the leg pocket of the pants.

QuikClotŒ¬ Combat Gauze Z-Fold Mil-Spec - Dark Angel Medical

Is that the ankle rig you have?

DAM_-_Ankle_Kit_-_WBG_-_4__11437.1516375170.jpg

You can't fold the combat gauze?

It's hard to have a kit with enough stuff to treat a real injury but not too much stuff to make it look too bulky.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's tough to jam enough gauze to be useful in a small place, even if it's compressed/shrink wrapped. It's a compromise to carry it, if you choose to do so. The upside is that it's weight is negligible.

A carry a fairly big 4" roll in my pocket with my IBD and SOFTT-W. I have two rolls in my backpack and two in the door cubby of my car witn IBD as well.

Don't forget that if don't have gauze, you can use other materials to pack a gaping wound enough to transmit pressure applied at the surface. Risk of infection is secondary under those circumstances.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's tough to jam enough gauze to be useful in a small place, even if it's compressed/shrink wrapped. It's a compromise to carry it, if you choose to do so. The upside is that it's weight is negligible.

A carry a fairly big 4" roll in my pocket with my IBD and SOFTT-W. I have two rolls in my backpack and two in the door cubby of my car witn IBD as well.

Don't forget that if don't have gauze, you can use other materials to pack a gaping wound enough to transmit pressure applied at the surface. Risk of infection is secondary under those circumstances.

It's mainly why I added a pair of trauma shears to my kit, not so much to access a wound by cutting clothes but to make additional packing materials if needed.
    I have a shemagh that I can cut to turn it into several yards of gauze.

Not to mention it can be used as a triangular bandage to secure a broken arm, wrapped around the head, improvised tourniquet and whatnot.

shemagh1.jpg

(Not me, just a random pic to show the size).

You can't do sterile in the field anyway.
    I still carry a small roll of sterile roll of gauze (4" by I'm not sure how many yards) in my ankle kit.
    But I would have to apply it with non sterile gloves anyway.

If Combat Gauze is too bulky to carry they make a EMS version, same thing but less of it (4FT vs 4 yards) so it should be more compact.

They are cheaper too if you can find it.

u.jpg

Top Bottom